TailBeacon install

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Is there a FAQ?

Upon first startup, iPhone connects to beacon Wifi without asking for passcode.
(Instructions say otherwise)

The instructions for firmware updating are unclear; maybe this is not necessary.

If I navigate away from the app (to look at the install manual for example), it disconnects.
only way to reconnect is to power cycle the TB. Normal?

Your iPhone will see the beacons WiFi right off. But you will not connect to the beacon itself until the password is entered. You only have a short time to enter the password before it locks you out.

I've got a skybeacon, which is nearly identical. Here's my take on your issue, worth every penny you're paying me for it.

Yeah, the wifi should require the passcode that's printed on the little sticker that came with the unit. Not sure why your iphone isn't apparently asking for it. Does the app work properly with this connection? Are you sure you never entered the passcode on the phone? You could always tell the phone to forget the network to verify.

As for no reconnecting after navigating away from the app. You could just coincidentally be hitting the time out mark. The wifi is only supposed to be available for 5 minutes after powering on the unit by turning on your nav lights. It does have built in logic not to disconnect if the installer app is active. Perhaps navigating away from the app allows it to break the wifi connection as designed.

Lastly, firmware updates have to be done via a windows computer, typically done as service bulletins. The iOS app isn't capable of performing them, at least for now.

Back