Removing Lord mounts

jwyatt

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
jwyatt
Got a couple Lord mounts that have sagged and need replacement, but darn if I can get the old ones unstuck from the dynafocal rings. Any advice from our resident mechanics? Tried a wood drift with a light hammer, with no luck — a little reluctant to just break out the BFH and go to town. Neither the front or back will remove so there’s no place to gain any leverage on the metal donut.

Last edited:
A little bit of 70% or better isopropyl alcohol as a lubricant....It's what we use pulling wire thru flexible bushings and pining and depining connectors.

Just wait. Re-hanging an engine on a dynofocal mount by yourself is one of the more frustrating thing a guy can do. Keep that BFH handy.
It took three of us on a Piper Warrior: (Neither of those guys is me. I took the photo). We didn't need a BFH.
2011-09-11.Engine.Hang.G.C.&.G.jpg

What aircraft? Is the engine still in or is it out? Do you know the P/N of the mounts?
RV-9A, the engine is fully removed. Lord J-9613-40 mounts are both the existing and replacement part. I’m not so concerned with mounting the engine (did that once already, solo) but these old mounts are stuck in the engine mount quite well, it seems.

the engine is fully removed.
Sometimes you can snake a 1/4" drift into the bolt hole and catch the opposite mount plate surface edge at the spacer interface and tap it out. Never really had an issue as you state except for a couple times but those individuals felt it was prudent to glue their mounts in. For those I rigged up a slide-hammer puller and drilled into the mount plate to connect it. Have also seen people use a set of large channel-locks and twist them out but not really a fan of that.

Thanks all for the advice. Got them out this afternoon with some isopropyl followed by penetrating oil around the edges with a syringe, then using a drift in the bolt holes against the opposite side plate, then a wooden dowel to tap the remaining side out around the edges. All cleaned up and ready for reinstall, now just waiting on the engine shop…

Had they been glued in? Plan to use anti-seize for installation?

More likely a film of corrosion had formed that acted to bind them in place. Not uncommon.

Certain types of urethanes and synthetic rubbers have a tendency to adhere to various types of paints. Water borne epoxies are really bad about this happening.

Back