I tried, I failed

I'm leaving my airplane partnership, my first attempt at owning. Just asked my partners to buy out my share and find a replacement. If they're unwilling or unable, I've also posted on TAP. My mindset and theirs are just too different. I have quite enough stress in my non-aviation life; I don't need more stress in the one thing that brings me joy.

I read your thread about wanting to do some panel upgrades and what ran through my mind was to suggest that you get out of the partnership, but decided that it was none of my business. I think you made the right decision.

While in the midst of something like this it is painful, but at some point in the future you will be in a better situation and appreciate it that much more.

Also, I would suggest that you add your general location to your profile. If readers knew where you are they might know of some alternative that might be worth looking into. For all I know, you’re one airport away from me and I might know someone looking for the same as you.

Last edited:
At least you acknowledge it could be you. :stirpot:

I am in a one person partnership. We have owned the plane just shy of two years. So far so good but we are pretty like minded when it comes to the plane. Keep it safe and keep it cheap I mean affordable. We both have other options of planes to fly so if there is a conflict (hasn't really been so far) we can always find something else to fly.

I think the big crossroads for us will be when the engine needs to be rebuilt then it is just a question of sell it as is, rebuild it, or find a mid time.

At least you acknowledge it could be you. :stirpot:

I am in a one person partnership. We have owned the plane just shy of two years. So far so good but we are pretty like minded when it comes to the plane. Keep it safe and keep it cheap I mean affordable. We both have other options of planes to fly so if there is a conflict (hasn't really been so far) we can always find something else to fly.

I think the big crossroads for us will be when the engine needs to be rebuilt then it is just a question of sell it as is, rebuild it, or find a mid time.
Wait, so it is another person, or your split personality? :) If there is another actual person, wouldn't that be a two person partnership?

Then there are those pesky unintended consequences .....

I have a relative who is financially secure and successful in business and a lifetime aviator .... his business requires a fair bit of travel so he penciled it out and decided he could afford to buy a Citation executive jet .... because part of his financial plan was to have it available as a rental-charter for other business owners .... looked good on paper.

And in fact it it was financially successful in that he didn't have to carry the whole cost himself but after 2 years he sold it . I asked him why .... he said nearly every time he needed it for his own business trips somebody else had chartered it and he had to scramble to find a last minute standby seat on a commercial airline.

My partner and I bought an Ercoupe two years ago. Both of us are retired engineers from the USAF who just enjoy low and slow hole boring. Since were both up in age, if he or I give it up, it’s no big deal to either buy out the other or sell it.

I’d like to upgrade the radio, he doesn’t but it’s not anything to get worked up about since we seldom if ever go into a high traffic area. We do most of the maintenance and annuals under the supervision of a friend who is an A&P IA and also owns a ‘Coupe.

I also have access to another plane and own an Ultralight so if he wants to take it for a trip, again no big deal. If I want to do the same, I’d take the other better equipped bird.

Partnerships, Flying Clubs, Sole ownership can work but only if everybody in the boat is pulling the oars in unison.

Keep at it until you find the right fit.

Cheers

The original original post was me asking if getting my instrument rating in a VFR airplane was pointless. All y'all drove that thread into the weeds, so here we are.
Saying they ran the thread into the weeds is like asking, "Can I paint my plane with a toothbrush?" Then, acting shocked when people ask why or for more detail....

Last edited:
Saying they ran the thread into the weeds is like asking, "Can I paint my plane with a toothbrush?" Then, acting shocked when people ask why or for more detail....

And when I provided details for context, they lasered-in on the details and ignored the original question, as happens in every piloty-type-forum-discussion thing I've ever seen. Focus, guys.

:) They focus, just not on anything predictable. Well, unless it's politics or some other squirrel type topic.

And when I provided details for context, they lasered-in on the details and ignored the original question, as happens in every piloty-type-forum-discussion thing I've ever seen. Focus, guys.
I never understood why people come to an Internet forum, ask a question, then complain that the answer isn’t to their liking.

I think your last thread addressed the issue perfectly. It just wasn’t what you wanted to hear.

Even if I’m wrong, just ignore the answers and move on. No need to chastise the folks who tried to help, even if there was drift.

Sometimes people can be a little harsh but the answer was clear. You were trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and the answer was it couldn’t, you need to find a square hole. I do it all the time, doggedly try to force something to happen within current conditions before finally accepting that I have to go back and change the whole basic setup. It’s not an easy thing to face when you’ve committed to a path and already gone down it a ways, especially if it involves sunk costs.

20 some years ago I was checking out a partnership. I did fly the plane once and was not impressed, one radio not working, nav side on the other radio not working, attitude indicator took forever to come up and was slow and there were other problems with the plane but they seemed happy with it. I got the impression they were very lax as far as maintenance so didn't go any further with it. Couple of years later the engine quit on takeoff and they put it into the trees taking the wings off with minor injuries to the pilot. A Fed told me later that it hadn't had an annual in 3 years.

Back