19 Year Old Woman Begins Attempt Of Solo Around The World Flight

...homeless people crapping on the streets of San Francisco...

jeezus, I did that ONE TIME for cryin out loud

...The thing is people want to blame society, but its really more personal, it's on the parents. If parents made it be known that you can do anything you want...

I'm not sure I agree on the parenting........in my entire life I can't say I've ever met anyone that wasn't the most encouraging mother or father to their kids. I guess I wouldn't be friends with them if they were the type of person to intentionally do something like that. maybe I've always surrounded myself with good people, and I'm SURE there are a couple of examples of bad parents holding kids back, but let's get real for a second....if the general reason for there not being enough female pilots was bad parenting, then the issue at hand should be BAD PARENTING and not whining and crying that there aren't enough female pilots. I just don't see that as being the broader issue (heehee, I said 'broad') with the lack of "female representation" in anything. "lack of female representation", whatever the fk that means, and "bad parenting" are MILES apart. I wholeheartedly disagree that even a small percentage of whatever the heck is being discussed here is due to parents not being encouraging to their kids, no sir, not buying it one bit.

I also find it fascinating that the peanut gallery can simultaneously criticize this attempt as being both "So dangerous she's surely going to die in a flaming heap resulting in increased insurance premiums and regulations on us all" and "So ho-hum boring that it's only garnering any attention at all because she's a she."

Lol. Apparently this forum is also full of experienced ferry pilots who hand-fly across the atlantic with a paper chart and a wiskey compass. They also pump their own fuel from barrels they fedexed ahead and would never allow the indignity of hiring an agent to obtain overflight and landing permits.
Peanut gallery is the right term.

jeezus, I did that ONE TIME for cryin out loud

I'm not sure I agree on the parenting........in my entire life I can't say I've ever met anyone that wasn't the most encouraging mother or father to their kids. I guess I wouldn't be friends with them if they were the type of person to intentionally do something like that. maybe I've always surrounded myself with good people, and I'm SURE there are a couple of examples of bad parents holding kids back, but let's get real for a second....if the general reason for there not being enough female pilots was bad parenting, then the issue at hand should be BAD PARENTING and not whining and crying that there aren't enough female pilots. I just don't see that as being the broader issue (heehee, I said 'broad') with the lack of "female representation" in anything. "lack of female representation", whatever the fk that means, and "bad parenting" are MILES apart. I wholeheartedly disagree that even a small percentage of whatever the heck is being discussed here is due to parents not being encouraging to their kids, no sir, not buying it one bit.

I'm not saying bad parenting so much as I am saying having them drill it in to you to not worry about what other people say or think about you.

There's a difference between "you can do whatever you want" and " you can do whatever you eant and **** anyone who says otherwise" and getting them to believe it and in themselves.

I see a lot of people that care about what people who have no real influence on their lives think about them short themselves because they had the former and not the latter.

I think we are very close to parity between gender already. I’m sure there are women that want to fly and can’t. Just like there are men in the same situation. I don’t think gender is the reason. More so life situations or choice.
Just for grins, I checked the CFI list at the large club that I belong to in the San Francisco Bay area. Out of 44 instructors, only two are women. Then I found this site, which puts women pilots at 6.84% of the total in the U.S. in 2018.

https://pilotinstitute.com/women-aviation-statistics/

Only 44% of flight attendants are women. We need to fix that!

Just for grins, I checked the CFI list at the large club that I belong to in the San Francisco Bay area. Out of 44 instructors, only two are women. ...

and I checked a local flight school and 8 out of 18 were women. what does that mean? is it good? is it bad? would one more make you happy? would 5 more change the world? what is the #, please tell me. WHAT is the goal? what is an acceptable # where we can all stop wasting time and energy on this meaningless cr@p.

and I checked a local flight school and 8 out of 18 were women. what does that mean? is it good? is it bad? would one more make you happy? would 5 more change the world? what is the #, please tell me. WHAT is the goal? what is an acceptable # where we can all stop wasting time and energy on this meaningless cr@p.

It means we are wasting our time bro, let's hit up the Longaberger basket convention. Much better odds.

If we really need to increase our numbers, we're fishing in the wrong pond.

Many years of trying to recruit females and to recruit youngsters has not moved the needle. If we need GA pilot numbers quickly, we should be targeting the demographic of upper middle class professionals, age 40-60. That group has the financial wherewithal to fly, and once the kids leave they have the time, and they're more likely to have the desire.
I think we've long-ago saturated that market. Most professional males 40–60 who might be willing to fly are already doing it. The rest own boats, cottages, and/or mid-life-crisis sports cars.

It means we are wasting our time bro, let's hit up the Longaberger basket convention. Much better odds.

I'm game bro (but you knew that). we can't even be sexist at the airport anymore, we gotta start getting creative again.

I have never claimed to be the arbiter of what is acceptable.

I have never claimed to be the arbiter of what is acceptable.

but YOU'RE saying it's not acceptable. TELL ME what is acceptable, even to you. how can you have an argument when you can't even quantify what acceptable terms are? oh wait, I know how........

By the time they were 12, they couldn't walk a city block without (adult) men making comments about their bodies, or calling them b**ches when they refused to stop and talk with them.
Sounds like a terrible city. My mom and sister never experienced that.

but YOU'RE saying it's not acceptable.

You're mistaken.

TELL ME what is acceptable, even to you. how can you have an argument when you can't even quantify what acceptable terms are? oh wait, I know how........

I think it's acceptable for people to go for gender-related records if they choose to do so, and I've explained one possible benefit that might have. Ed seems to disagree (although I admit that I may have misinterpreted him).

People are reading WAY too much into my posts in this thread!

Sounds like a terrible city. My mom and sister never experienced that.

Agree. But I think it's true of many or most urban areas. Everybody knows that quality of life for chicken, beef, and wild animals is directly related to them having plenty of space to roam around in, but somehow we've lost that concept on people. Urbanization is maybe the worst thing, socially, economically, environmentally, that we've done as a species, but we keep doing it...and continue to make it worse.

You're mistaken.

I think it's acceptable for people to go for gender-related records if they choose to do so, and I've explained one possible benefit that might have. Ed seems to disagree (although I admit that I may have misinterpreted him).

People are reading WAY too much into my posts in this thread!

I am saying that if people want 100% and unwavering equality, then toss out gendered sports, gendered records, gendered everything, and just let everyone be on the same stage with no qualifiers. But I am pretty sure that if you push the issue, people don't want that, because for certain things it isn't "fair," due to...well, I'm sure you can figure out why.

I actually haven't stated where I stand on it, my posts have been along the lines of be careful what you wish for. (generic you)

I am saying that if people want 100% and unwavering equality, then toss out gendered sports, gendered records, gendered everything, and just let everyone be on the same stage with no qualifiers. But I am pretty sure that if you push the issue, people don't want that, because for certain things it isn't "fair," due to...well, I'm sure you can figure out why.

I actually haven't stated where I stand on it, my posts have been along the lines of be careful what you wish for. (generic you)
Thanks for clarifying.

For example - the Amish are also underrepresented in aviation, as well as in auto repair, engineering, broadcasting, and the military. We don't seem to be doing anything to encourage them to enter those fields.

Not Amish but I have known 2 Mennonite pilots who each owned their own aircraft.
I also knew of 2 other Mennonite pilots, who were brothers, that died when their plane crashed years ago.

Not Amish but I have known 2 Mennonite pilots who each owned their own aircraft.
I also knew of 2 other Mennonite pilots, who were brothers, that died when their plane crashed years ago.

I had a Mennonite buddy in college. He called it “Amish-lite” since he had a car.

After being stuck in Nome, Alaska, for what seems like forever, Zara is in the air again. She is almost across the Bering Straight with her next stop in Russia.

I'm just curious, how would your life be better, or how would the world be better, if there were more female pilots? if every pilot right now just instantaneously converted to women, what would change? just asking. would you wake up and say "today's a great day, all pilots are women"? would you not have traffic driving to work because all pilots were women? would all your veggies grow better in your garden?
You’re (unsurprisingly) missing the point, which is that with vast populations of underrepresented people in any given field, the field itself is missing out on what those talented people bring to the table. And so we as a pilot community miss out on those pilots who could have been innovators, amazing teachers, excellent professional pilots. And that’s bad for aviation, as it is for any field and regardless of which group you’re talking about.

The converse is also true. Because there are so few women (and blacks and Hispanics, etc.) in aviation, we also have to get by with a lot of mediocre pilots who could instead be winnowed out of the field by better pilots from groups of people that have little involvement in aviation. The bottom line is there aren’t enough good pilots and instructors to begin with. If you want any field to whither and die, cut it off from new talent pools.

And aviation needs all the friends it can get right now. They’re talking quite seriously about banning short-haul flights within the EU, and I really don’t doubt that happens in the next few years. So we can do the Archie Bunker thing or we can open our minds and think. The last thing aviation needs right now is to be seen as a rich white guy’s gig. Which for all intents and purposes is what it is.

Sigh.

You’re (unsurprisingly) missing the point, which is that with vast populations of underrepresented people in any given field, the field itself is missing out on what those talented people bring to the table. And so we as a pilot community miss out on those pilots who could have been innovators, amazing teachers, excellent professional pilots. And that’s bad for aviation, as it is for any field and regardless of which group you’re talking about.

The converse is also true. Because there are so few women (and blacks and Hispanics, etc.) in aviation, we also have to get by with a lot of mediocre pilots who could instead be winnowed out of the field by better pilots from groups of people that have little involvement in aviation. The bottom line is there aren’t enough good pilots and instructors to begin with. If you want any field to whither and die, cut it off from new talent pools.

And aviation needs all the friends it can get right now. They’re talking quite seriously about banning short-haul flights within the EU, and I really don’t doubt that happens in the next few years. So we can do the Archie Bunker thing or we can open our minds and think. The last thing aviation needs right now is to be seen as a rich white guy’s gig. Which for all intents and purposes is what it is.

Sigh.

No, you’re missing the point. The field, same as every field , has been wide open for them(or anyone) to join. They don’t need a movement or a direct invitation. It’s no ones fault they aren’t in the field other than themselves.

No, you’re missing the point. The field, same as every field , has been wide open for them(or anyone) to join. They don’t need a movement or a direct invitation. It’s no ones fault they aren’t in the field other than themselves.
You’re just looking to “win”. I hope you feel that you have. Clearly you need that. Meanwhile aviation itself is losing.

Sigh.

Weilke,

Thanks for the update on Zara's progress. That subject has become nearly lost in the forest of gender debate.

You’re just looking to “win”. I hope you feel that you have. Clearly you need that. Meanwhile aviation itself is losing.

Sigh.
78d7e179aedc08fbcfd5e34bf54858c5.png

Ha! Not me.

Another one who needs a “W”. Amazing how insecure people can be that they spend their lives trying to score points. I hope you feel like you got a few today.

Sigh.

Ha! Not me.

Another one who needs a “W”. Amazing how insecure people can be that they spend their lives trying to score points. I hope you feel like you got a few today.

Sigh.

You’re just looking for a lame out. Congrats, you aren’t even capable of a discussion. Anything other than total racism or sexism or everyone is evil is unacceptable for you. Pretty weak but exactly what I expected. Later.

You’re just looking for a lame out. Congrats, you aren’t even capable of a discussion. Anything other than total racism or sexism or everyone is evil is unacceptable for you. Pretty weak but exactly what I expected. Later.
Ad hominems and hyperbole. What a shocker.

I would say that I’m still waiting for a substantive response to what I wrote above, but I never expected one. If someone like you considers me incapable of having a discussion, I guess I’ll just have to learn to live with the disappointment.

Weilke,

Thanks for the update on Zara's progress. That subject has become nearly lost in the forest of gender debate.

The credit goes to 'somorris' who resurected this trainwreck of a thread to update us on her progress. It's just when I looked I noted that she was already across the straits heading down the siberian coastline. Right now, the plane shows on the runway at Ugolny airport (which is the airport for Anadyr, the easternmost municipality in Russia) :thumbsup:.

This young lady crossed the Bering straits on the last day of october in a LSA and the peanut gallery here continues to use the thread to put their insecurities about gender on display. Welcome to the internet.

Last edited:
May be enough daylight for one more leg before nightfall!

I had a student in one of my classes who was clearly part of some sort of Christian movement, I could tell from her dress and demeanor. I asked her about it one day, she said she was an Apostolic Christian, which I guess is rather Mennonite lite. I had seen an apparently Amish family climb out of a Cherokee 6, she said she knew them. Small world I guess.

Since I started flying at the turn of the Century the number of pilots, flyable aircraft and airports have all diminished. I really don't expect GA to last past the next generation. Too few folks doing it.

But there's a whole half the population who're underrepresented as all get out. Moreover, they all make better pilots than most of us. If we could figure out how to involve them in our little avocation we'd have a whole lot more interest and maybe stave off the demise of GA another generation or two. Instead we just ***** about it and act like a pack of clueless old misogynists.

Back