Young adults and driver’s licenses

I suspect that location has a lot to do with the ratio of licensed to unlicensed youths. As people gravitate to larger metro areas with good public transportation the need for a driver's license goes down.

I've always lived in largely rural areas, which made having a driver's license a necessity and I got mine immediately. The state I lived in at the time allowed full licensing at the age of 14 and the town we lived in did not provide busing for high school students so having a car and a license was pretty much the only way we were getting to school.

Driver's ed was optional but most insurance companies offered reduced insurance rates for kids who went through it. I already had my license but was forced to take it for the premium reduction. I took it as a summer course and rode my motorcycle every day to the class. If I remember right I was the only student who didn't get dropped off for class every day.

And we’re probably seeing the result in people’s ability to drive, as more and more haven’t had the mentorship.

Unfortunately, the worst drivers I seem to encounter are old enough to have had plenty of experience and adequate mentorship. The bad thing is, these clowns are the ones teaching their kids to drive so it is only going to get worse.

When I was 13 and 14 I spent the summers working on a farm. Tractor and stake body truck the first year, 5 speed lumber truck with no synchromesh in any gear in the second year.

Mom took lessons in an automatic, bought a stick shift, and at 14, I taught her to shift and start on hills. Drove a lot, mostly with her, without a learners permit, as I was still too young.

At 15, bought a 4X8 steel trailer, wired it for lights, put a hitch on our 49 Ford, and towed the fully loaded trailer from Louisville KY to Washington DC via the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

16th birthday, drove to the test station with Mom, a co worker picked her up, and I waited for the door to open. Passed the written, went out to the car with an older officer, and started the driving test. In front of the test station was a triangular park 50 yards wide, and 150 long. 50 feet from where I was parked, stopped for the stop sign for Connecticut Avenue, and it was rush hour. "Turn left here". I waited for a break in the near, fast lane, and merged into the flow. "Turn left again". I signaled, Sharp or 90? "Sharp", and turned back along the little park. "Turn left again". That put me back in front of the test station and he had me park. First try, front wheel touching, back 3 inches from curb.

Then the hard question "Son, how long have you been driving?" "I started on the farm, at 13". We went in, the license was typed up, and I as out of there within 20 minutes of the door opening. I had driven about 400 yards.

My brother took drivers ed, which was new then, and we competed in the first AAA Driving Rodeo in the county, and I won 2nd and he won 3rd place. I lost my place to compete in the State Rodeo by receiving a ticket. In court, I won the case, and the Judge admonished the officer for writing a ticket for a choice where I could be ticketed for continuing or for stopping where I was. Unfortunately, the eligibility was NO CITATIONS.

Both of my sons had their license at 16, and are very skilled drivers

Not yet. They wait till closer to graduation. They had 2 quit the first week. I think my class graduated with about 40% that started.

If he gets DM I know who will help me keep an eye on him. :)

He’s hoping for the SE but you know how that can go.

Did he get ATC in contract at signing? Back in the day, I tried the AF but the recruiter said they couldn’t guarantee it. Had to pick 5 jobs and they’d guarantee one of those. Didn’t make sense because my bro got ATC guaranteed 2 years prior. Think he was BSing me so I’d go bus driver or something.

Did he get ATC in contract at signing? Back in the day, I tried the AF but the recruiter said they couldn’t guarantee it. Had to pick 5 jobs and they’d guarantee one of those. Didn’t make sense because my bro got ATC guaranteed 2 years prior. Think he was BSing me so I’d go bus driver or something.
He got it guaranteed. They tried screwing with him about must pick 5 jobs. I went in and told him politely that he’s not going to. He really wanted to serve in the AF and do ATC. I told the recruiter if you want him, guarantee it otherwise I’ll send him to a CTI school. It all worked out.

I had to do the same crap 20 years ago. After getting yanked around I asked to use the phone. I called my dad and told him they won’t guarantee ATC, they told me to go in open general and they’d surely give it to me at basic. By this time I was a 1400 hour pilot with ATP written done. My dad said wait outside a bit and I’ll make a phone call. I got called back into the room and the guy said, “why didn’t you tell me your dad was an O-6?” I said I didn’t think it mattered. I thought you’d do the right thing. The rest is history.

As bad as we need ATC’ers in this country it’s crazy for them not to give it to the few that walk in and say that’s all they want. Considering the causally interested don’t have a good success rate.

I was driving tractors and trucks before my feet could reach the pedals. Got my learners permit at 14. I think passing Drivers Ed got you your license w/o having to take a driving test.

Exact same for me. And, yes, if you took Drivers Ed at (our school anyway) you did not have to take any other tests.

On the other hand, anecdotal evidence from people here about the age that they got their driver's licenses may be a bit skewed because most of us fly airplanes. There is a huge segment of the general public who cannot imagine themselves flying an airplane.

After getting yanked around I asked to use the phone. I called my dad and told him they won’t guarantee ATC, they told me to go in open general and they’d surely give it to me at basic. By this time I was a 1400 hour pilot with ATP written done. My dad said wait outside a bit and I’ll make a phone call. I got called back into the room and the guy said, “why didn’t you tell me your dad was an O-6?”

O-6, full bird? I would have loved to hear that conversation lol.

But I don't know how many parents have the time or willingness to teach driving, and I worry about how poor a job they would do even if they took the time.

I actually was happy and willing to give my time to teach her to drive and much prefer that I was the one to instruct vs. a "driving instructor."[1] My Dad was quite the tough instructor and I was quite tough on her as a result. I also had her do a Tire Rack Teen survival school [2], which was a great help.

[1] Is there any official schooling and testing for driving instuctors?
[2] https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/events_sponsorships/street_survival.html

Back in my day everyone seemed to go on the birthday for sure. I got mine in early 1980's on my 16th birthday. Taught my older sister how to drive stick about 3-1/2 years prior.....

Today, my son drives under a permit...just turned 16 last week. He's not ready, but close. He has some friends that drive themselves to work. He has some friends that have their license but don't drive. He's among the youngest in his "class" so he has some friends that have been driving for a while....but I don't think there has been a single time when any of them have picked him up for a joy ride, or to go to the movies or whatever, or to go to youth group at the church.... I just don't get that! Makes no sense to me.

On the larger topic though I kinda get it.
Parking permits for school are limited. I don't think any of my son's friends drive to school. Even if they have permits the school is very strict about access to the car during school hours, so no using it as a locker or as a hang-out home plate during lunch, etc. like we did back in the day...so there's not as much point in it.
Other places to go and things to do are rather limited now days. Just not a whole lot for them to do.
and they aren't used to it...kids don't grow up roaming the neighborhood on their bikes or going places on their own...so the concept just isn't on their radar.

When my son finally does get his license I fully intend on slipping him some cash now and then and sending him to pick up his friends to grab a burger or something.... these kids are missing out!

... I said I didn’t think it mattered. I thought you’d do the right thing. The rest is history.

As bad as we need ATC’ers in this country it’s crazy for them not to give it to the few that walk in and say that’s all they want. Considering the causally interested don’t have a good success rate.

Did they tell him he had to enlist for 6 years because its "required of all controllers"? They can enlist for 4 now - in fact they always could, it was just a lie recruiters were telling candidates. I'm assuming he's going to do his time, get the training and then get out for the FAA?

Not yet. They wait till closer to graduation. They had 2 quit the first week. I think my class graduated with about 40% that started.

If he gets DM I know who will help me keep an eye on him. :)

He’s hoping for the SE but you know how that can go.
By SE I assume you mean somewhere in the South East. My daughter went through Biloxi in 2001. They handed out duty assignments towards the end. She was able to make a swap with someone. She got Patrick COF, he got Luke LUF. He was a Southern boy and she was a Westerner. They made the swap. Maybe they still allow swaps there.

O-6, full bird? I would have loved to hear that conversation lol.
Yeah, me too. He’s pretty chill till he gets triggered. He was at that moment. He called the OIC of the place and it trickled down. Didn’t want to do that but I was getting ready to walk out.
Did they tell him he had to enlist for 6 years because its "required of all controllers"? They can enlist for 4 now - in fact they always could, it was just a lie recruiters were telling candidates. I'm assuming he's going to do his time, get the training and then get out for the FAA?
I warned him not to fall for that when it came. It never did surprisingly. He enlisted for 4 years.
By SE I assume you mean somewhere in the South East. My daughter went through Biloxi in 2001. They handed out duty assignments towards the end. She was able to make a swap with someone. She got Patrick COF, he got Luke LUF. He was a Southern boy and she was a Westerner. They made the swap. Maybe they still allow swaps there.
Yeah, southeast. I told him about the swap system. Seems like most in his class want the SE but there’s 1 or 2 that want the west. We’ll see how it goes!

My little brother just got his driver’s license a few months ago. He’s 25. He also lives in Brooklyn so he doesn’t really need a car. I didn’t get my license until I was in my sophomore year of college.

My little brother just got his driver’s license a few months ago. He’s 25. He also lives in Brooklyn so he doesn’t really need a car. I didn’t get my license until I was in my sophomore year of college.

A place like NYC is the exception as the subway system is quite good!

A place like NYC is the exception as the subway system is quite good!

I'd put most places in the D.C. area in the group as well. Parking can be very expensive and difficult to find. Easier just to ride the Metro and walk if you're within a mile or two of one of the routes.

Last edited:
Our kids wanted it as soon as they turned 16. One of our prior neighbors, they had to push their daughter to get it. My wife and I thought that odd, especially with how much of a car-place Atlanta is.

In high density areas though, Uber, walking or biking make better sense. In some cities mass transit and walking cover things well.

Wayne

I used to live in the Hudson valley, and had friends I'd visit in the city. Even though I could drive, I found it far more enjoyable to ride the Metro North RR into Grand Central and then subway/walk to my destination. So much less hassle.

Got my first driver’s license at 14 in Nevada. A lot of western states permitted driver’s licenses at 14 for farm kids. There were some limitations as I recall but not many. When we moved to Washington, it made taking Driver’s Ed interesting and the instructor used to make me drive so he could nap. Took my Washington driving test in a 1965 Dodge Van with a “three on the tree”. Parallel parking was always an adventure in that beast.

He got it guaranteed. They tried screwing with him about must pick 5 jobs. I went in and told him politely that he’s not going to. He really wanted to serve in the AF and do ATC. I told the recruiter if you want him, guarantee it otherwise I’ll send him to a CTI school. It all worked out.

I had to do the same crap 20 years ago. After getting yanked around I asked to use the phone. I called my dad and told him they won’t guarantee ATC, they told me to go in open general and they’d surely give it to me at basic. By this time I was a 1400 hour pilot with ATP written done. My dad said wait outside a bit and I’ll make a phone call. I got called back into the room and the guy said, “why didn’t you tell me your dad was an O-6?” I said I didn’t think it mattered. I thought you’d do the right thing. The rest is history.

Sounds like what I went through. Had to call my Dad to come and get me at MEPs. He actually sent my brother who was on leave from AF ATC to pick me up. Little bit of arguing with the recruiters for jerking me around and we left.

That’s ok, the Marines weren’t as picky and guaranteed me ATC. Broke the AF streak of every family member having served in the AF though.

I got my driver’s license at 16 solely so that I could drive into town to take flying lessons.

unfortunately my parents had additional uses for it.

I didn’t get my license until the summer before senior year in high school. I had no interest in driving and just rode the bus. My parents basically had to force me to learn to drive. They also offered me the fully decked out basement for my bedroom but I refused. Years later they said they did that so I could have came and gone as I pleased in high school.

So yeah I was a bit brain damaged... o_O

I turned 16 during the spring of my Sophomore year in high school. I had to finish driver ed at school that semester before I could take the driving test for my license. It didn't take long after the end of the school year. Oh, and back then our insurance company offered a good student discount. A 3 point got the discount. You better believe I maintained that average. Things may have changed, this was in 1968.

Back