Cross Country Equipment Needed

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Hi there, I’m planning some cross country travel and this will be an extended trip away from the home airport. What tools / equipment would you bring with you? And any tips if any maintenance work is needed away from the home airport. Thanks!

The standard answer to this question is a credit card. I personally like to have whatever tools it takes to pull the cowl, a few quarts of oil, tiedown ropes, and gust locks. Anything else, I can pick a tool up at a hardware store or borrow one from a mechanic on the field. Or just pay the mechanic to fix the plane while I’m exploring the BFE State Park or whatever.

I usually carry the items below in the plane at all times. They all fit neatly into a plastic toolbox i bought at walmart. In my duffle overnight bags, i usually carry some sort of food/water in case i go down in a remote area...things like slim jims or packets of tuna fish.

• 2 qts of Oil
  • basic tools (one of each screw driver, wrench, pliers)
  • 1 spare sparkplug/copper gaskets just in case one goes south on me (fouled or just bad)
  • deep well socket for that sparkplug
  • Battery jumper plug thingy in case battery dies or i leave something turned on
  • tie downs
  • tire pressure gauge
  • set of wooded chocks
  • toilet paper (you never know)

• 1 or 2 quarts of oil, depending on how far I'm going
  • Pour spout or funnel for above
  • Tiedown ropes
  • Aluminum wheel chocks
  • Cockpit cover
  • Fuel sampling cup/screwdriver.
  • Safety wire
  • Zip ties
  • Pliers
  • 3/8, 7/16, 1/2" wrenches, small crescent wrench
  • Multi tool
  • Paper towels
A canvas tool bag holds everything except the ropes and cockpit cover.

Really depends where you’re flying. If over really sparse or mountainous areas, add a PLB to any list. I always have Dana’s list for trips under 3-4 hours. Over that, food, water, fire starter, blanket and a tarp. But I live in Colorado. In Denver yesterday the temps was over 90 during the day, down to mid50 s at night. And that’s in town. We’re already getting snow in the mountains.

The above are all good. I also keep several granola bars and these Bumble Bee Lunch on the Run kits handy while flying. They’re shelf stable, lightweight, a few bucks, and actually taste pretty good. We actually use them at OSH a lot. Also, keep some water bottles handy.

2BF5B133-554F-490B-991B-3AB183D57C0D.jpeg

Two different credit cards can be useful, especially for self-serve fuel stops, just in case one card goes inop for some reason. Not a big deal to get a declined card at home while trying to buy a new pair of jeans at the mall, but at some unattended airport in the middle of nowhere, it can be extremely inconvenient.

I'll be a +1 to all this, but I add a spare tube for mains to the mix.

That said, I'm flying, essentially, a Chevy Suburban of the skies and have the room in the back.

I have an old sturdy plastic milk crate that is my "Go" box for XC. I keep it packed and stocked so I can just throw it in the baggage area. It has a set of basic hand tools, chocks, tie down ropes, and a plastic compartment organizer with a selection of common hardware such as cotter pins, lock nuts, butt splices, fuses, bulbs, etc. For tools, a 1/4" socket set, box end wrench set, assorted screwdrivers and pliers, multimeter, stripper/crimper, and utility knife will cover many situations. If you do a lot of grass strips, add stakes and a hammer. Oh, and spare usb cables.

I had a problem on a trip once and bought cheap tools from Autozone, only to have the pliers literally break in my hand. After that trip, I bought decent Craftsman stuff.

Safety wire and duct tape are surprisingly versatile. For example, enroute to Oshkosh I noticed an unusual draft hitting my face in the cabin. I investigated and found that a hinge pin on my side window had failed. This was on a Saturday evening at a state park airstrip in rural Kentucky, so a credit card wasn't much help. A couple of loops of safety wire allowed me to continue my trip without delay.

hinge.jpg

I like the responses above…a few basic tools and supplies that you’re comfortable with can go a long way.

if you take a tire/tube, spark plug, or something similar, make sure you know how to determine appropriate torques, etc.

A cell phone number for your mechanic would be useful, too.

The suggestions above are pretty good. I'll take a different approach with this though - make sure your airplane is well maintained before you leave home so the surprises are minimal or nonexistent. I've flown extensively in some very remote areas and all the tools/equipment and credit cards in the world won't help in some circumstances that are often easily avoidable.

My A&Ps cell number.

• 1 or 2 quarts of oil, depending on how far I'm going
  • Pour spout or funnel for above
  • Tiedown ropes
  • Aluminum wheel chocks
  • Cockpit cover
  • Fuel sampling cup/screwdriver.
  • Safety wire
  • Zip ties
  • Pliers
  • 3/8, 7/16, 1/2" wrenches, small crescent wrench
  • Multi tool
  • Paper towels
A canvas tool bag holds everything except the ropes and cockpit cover.

What is the safety wire and zip ties used for?

Gotcha, thank you much. I’m preparing my milk crate, I also have added life jackets and a flashlight. I guess I should weigh this and adjust my useful load accordingly too :)

Gotcha, thank you much. I’m preparing my milk crate, I also have added life jackets and a flashlight. I guess I should weigh this and adjust my useful load accordingly too :)

One can never have too many flashlights or knives. Except at TSA, I guess.

Back