What to name a Baby

I suppose it's better than "niner sierra papa".

…. gave birth to a baby girl as the aircraft made its final descent.

She had gone into labor mid-flight, prompting the pilot to lower the aircraft’s altitude to help stabilize her blood pressure long enough to delay delivery until they had landed.

Was the baby born on final? Or after touchdown? And I don’t know how you’d delay spontaneous delivery. You don’t cross your legs and try to hold it in. That’s dangerous. I wonder what really happened.

My neighbor on the airpark just had twins. The boy is named Jett. I keep forgetting the girl's name, but it's not Propellerr.

I told my wife she was lucky we had our last two kids before I started flying, otherwise they'd be Piper & Lance. I think her eyes actually rolled 360 degrees.

One of my local pilot friends actually has a daughter named Piper.

My neighbor on the airpark just had twins. The boy is named Jett. I keep forgetting the girl's name, but it's not Propellerr.
I'd have gone with Turbo.

"Turbo, Jett, dinner!"

Also works for Ram, Scram and Pulse.

My new grandson is named Luca. I'm going to get him a stuffed fish, so like his namesake, he can sleep with the fishes.

Was the baby born on final? Or after touchdown? And I don’t know how you’d delay spontaneous delivery. You don’t cross your legs and try to hold it in. That’s dangerous. I wonder what really happened.
It said delivery was on the ground.

“Once on the ground, medics and an Army labor and delivery nurse came aboard and delivered Reach in the cargo bay, while other evacuees help up scarves to protect her privacy.”

I told my wife she was lucky we had our last two kids before I started flying, otherwise they'd be Piper & Lance. I think her eyes actually rolled 360 degrees.

One of my local pilot friends actually has a daughter named Piper.

We had a friend who named his daughter Cessna.

“Once on the ground, medics and an Army labor and delivery nurse came aboard and delivered Reach in the cargo bay, while other evacuees help up scarves to protect her privacy.”

Ah, how did I miss that? Thanks.

Does a lower cabin altitude lower blood pressure? I can't say I've tried to get a BP reading aloft before.

Do people in Denver have higher BP as a rule then?

Does a lower cabin altitude lower blood pressure? I can't say I've tried to get a BP reading aloft before.

I don't know where the threshold is, but I know climbers get elevated blood pressure when their O2 starts dropping.

I tried to get the name Amelia sold to the wife for the kid. Didnt take my offer.

I don't know where the threshold is, but I know climbers get elevated blood pressure when their O2 starts dropping.

My understanding is your blood pressure rises with altitude but if you stay there in a few weeks it comes back to normal. A pregnant woman can have higher blood pressure to start with and an expanded blood volume so this can be an issue when flying close to term.

Sam, middle name Sonite?

"Don't worry, we're on a C17 with 800 other people and only one bathroom but it can only get better from here!"

When my son was born, my (now ex) wife asked what I thought of some very ridiculous sounding "new age" names...Brees, Exton, Arlo, etc...I said "nope" to each. Finally, she said, "Well what would you like? AND NO AIRPLANE NAMES!!!" I thought, do I dare? then said, "How about Mitchell?" (BTW she's not a history buff). She said, "I like it!" Then she said, "Well since you didn't pick an airplane name for a first name, maybe an airplane name for his middle name..." At the time I owned a Taylorcraft. My son, Mitchell Taylor, now has 2 airplane names! (My ex doesn't get a kick out of this story, I'm not sure why lol).

“And as you can well imagine, being an Air Force fighter pilot, it’s my dream to watch that young child called Reach grow up and be a U.S. citizen and fly United States Air Force fighters in our Air Force,” Gen. Tod Wolters told reporters."

Wow. Maybe, just maybe general, the kid grows up and learns her life story and feels inspired to be a transport pilot. Would that turn your dream into a nightmare?

Would have been a great quote without the reference to fighters.

Oh well. People have been predicting "the last fighter pilot has already been born" for nearly 30 years. Hopefully for the general and Reach the prediction still hasn't come true yet.

I was in a frame shop today looking at some art on the wall. The biggest item was a poster for "Cool Hand Luke". The shop owner noticed me looking at the poster and said "We named our son Luke, after Paul Newman's character."

I thought that was pretty neat. I need to watch that movie again.

here's a true story:

Back when the planned city of Brasilia was created from scratch in the middle of nowhere, The Volkswagen plant needed workers and in an attempt to populate the empty city, they went into the jungle villages and "recruited" illiterate natives.

As the new residents began working in the factories and having families, they thought they would give their children English names as a status symbol and to help them avoid future bigotry and abuse because of their ancestry. Unfortunately, there were so many babies being born that they ran out of common American sounding names and began naming their kids after the English words the saw every day on the car parts they assembled.

Yep, a whole generation of kids named Spark Plug and Carburetor, and so on...

I was in a frame shop today looking at some art on the wall. The biggest item was a poster for "Cool Hand Luke". The shop owner noticed me looking at the poster and said "We named our son Luke, after Paul Newman's character."

I thought that was pretty neat. I need to watch that movie again.
Still shakin' the limb, boss.

Yep, a whole generation of kids named Spark Plug and Carburetor, and so on...

Westernization of names is interesting. I helped set-up our factory in China and continue to have weekly contact with some of the engineers we hired over there. In that culture, you have a given name, but if you work with Westerners, the simple path is to choose a Western sounding name to make things easier for the ex-pats and other Westerners you deal with. A few names offhand: "Bush" liked Bush 41. "Road".. I haven't asked. Funny enough, the guy we fired for cutting side deals with vendors called himself "Law".

This guy sure got a strange name (at least his last name is):

My understanding is your blood pressure rises with altitude but if you stay there in a few weeks it comes back to normal. A pregnant woman can have higher blood pressure to start with and an expanded blood volume so this can be an issue when flying close to term.

Today I learned -- thanks! :D

Can't remember the comedian, but the advice was, "don't name your kid after signs you see on the way to the hospital." The example was Nosmo. Nosmo King.

Back