Flying into GA airport at Oakland questions

Lndwarrior

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
I'll will be making my first flight into the GA airport at Oakland this week. I'll be arriving from the east. I will be on Flight Following and am ADSB equipped.

Would appreciate any tips from those that fly into here. Are there common reporting points or landmarks the tower will reference?

I will park there for about 2 hours. Suggestions on where to park?

Lastly, is there food at this terminal?

TIA
Gary

No food on the GA side. $50 landing fee, spendy gas. Parking options are Signature or Kaiser.

Hayward has lots of great food options and is cheaper.

I'll will be making my first flight into the GA airport at Oakland this week. I'll be arriving from the east. I will be on Flight Following and am ADSB equipped.

Would appreciate any tips from those that fly into here. Are there common reporting points or landmarks the tower will reference?

I will park there for about 2 hours. Suggestions on where to park?

Lastly, is there food at this terminal?

TIA
Gary
I've no current info, been quite awhile since I've flown to the Bay Area. Wondering though, what's your mission. Does it have to be KOAK? Or will Oakland area airports do?

I've no current info, been quite awhile since I've flown to the Bay Area. Wondering though, what's your mission. Does it have to be KOAK? Or will Oakland area airports do?
I'm going to be inspecting an indoor cannabis grow facility for code compliance. The business is right next to the airport so going somewhere else is not practical.

I'm going to be inspecting an indoor cannabis grow facility for code compliance. The business is right next to the airport so going somewhere else is not practical.
KOAK it is then. Question. How ya gonna get that done in just 2 hours? Including lunch. Or should I say munch:goofy:

Hayward is only six miles from Oakland, so unless you're literally going to walk to the facility, Hayward would probably be as good.

OAK is huge. "Right next door" could still be a 5mi drive.

Check FBO fees. They were insane when I inquired 2 months ago. Port of Oakland doesn't want GA around and it shows.

How does one get into the cannabis code compliance inspection business? Asking for a friend

Are there common reporting points or landmarks the tower will reference?

OAK is easy to fly into and the controllers are great. The common landmarks they may point out coming from the east are the charted ones VPDUB (the 580/680 freeway interchange), VPXES (the 580/238 freeway interchange, aka Three Crosses), and Lake Chabot (VPCBT). if there’s other VFR traffic around, you’ll probably hear approach and OAK tower reference other nearby landmarks including the San Leandro reservoir, the 880 freeway, CSU, the Mormon temple, the Oakland Coliseum, the bay bridge, and of course the KHWD airport everyone is talking about. None of these are hard to spot.

Have the SFO bravo chart handy. They’ll expect you to stay out of the bravo, and probably remind you as well. The bravo shelf just west of 580/680 starts at 4000’, so you’ll want to be lower than 4000 and higher than the hills, which are ~1800 I think. :)

How does one get into the cannabis code compliance inspection business? Asking for a friend

I'm inspecting the building systems for compliance with the Green Building Standards Code. Nothing to do with the grow side of things.

OAK is easy to fly into and the controllers are great. The common landmarks they may point out coming from the east are the charted ones VPDUB (the 580/680 freeway interchange), VPXES (the 580/238 freeway interchange, aka Three Crosses), and Lake Chabot (VPCBT). if there’s other VFR traffic around, you’ll probably hear approach and OAK tower reference other nearby landmarks including the San Leandro reservoir, the 880 freeway, CSU, the Mormon temple, the Oakland Coliseum, the bay bridge, and of course the KHWD airport everyone is talking about. None of these are hard to spot.

Have the SFO bravo chart handy. They’ll expect you to stay out of the bravo, and probably remind you as well. The bravo shelf just west of 580/680 starts at 4000’, so you’ll want to be lower than 4000 and higher than the hills, which are ~1800 I think. :)

This is good info. I would just add that, when coming from the east, KLVK is a good waypoint. Then follow the 580 freeway (runs east-west right next to the livermore airport, KLVK). It will cross over the last set of hills (Dublin grade) literally to VPXES. Just a couple miles north of VPXES is Lake Chabot. Can't miss it. I would overfly Lake Chabot and, by then, you should have the KOAK 28s in sight. You would be almost in a perfect position to go straight in.

This is good info. I would just add that, when coming from the east, KLVK is a good waypoint. Then follow the 580 freeway (runs east-west right next to the livermore airport, KLVK). It will cross over the last set of hills (Dublin grade) literally to VPXES. Just a couple miles north of VPXES is Lake Chabot. Can't miss it. I would overfly Lake Chabot and, by then, you should have the KOAK 28s in sight. You would be almost in a perfect position to go straight in.
Thats perfect! Thanks.

Back