What's the mask/vaccine requirement situation in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CDC just added the Bahamas to the list of high risk areas, so expect to see tighter restrictions for returning to the US.

Sure seems hospitals are pretty busy and ICUs are pretty full. Is that from driving accidents? I don’t think so…

Delta decided to increase their health insurance $200/mo for the unvaccinated. I don’t personally think that’s a political stunt any more than smoking increases the cost of life insurance. It’s actuarial.

OK - so the masks aren’t perfect and neither are the vaccines. Other than the adolescent ranting, what do those opposed to these scientifically substantiated tools suggest?

I am just talking about your comment about risk to others, not risk to self. Not sure the numbers in ICU beds or even the health insurance premiums argue too strongly to that one way or another - do they?

An increase in liability insurance rates for the unvaccinated would certainly argue to that point, but I am not aware of any such increases.

You are of course quite correct that the effectiveness of these interventions for preventing infection of the user is a statistical matter and they are hardly either 100% or 0% effective. The numbers fall into a range that the average person has a hard time reasoning about - thus all the ridiculous arguments which are essentially the equivalent of people arguing “that color is black, black I tell you” , “no it’s not, it’s clearly white”, when the real answer is that the color is 73% grey.

In any case, your comment and this sub thread stray seriously from the original points here and into territory which is no longer permitted as a discussion point on PoA. So if you want to discuss with me further, I am all ears via PM. I leave it at that.

Does holding a different opinion than you do make a person dishonorable?
Of course not. Quite the non-sequitur! Seemed like a pretty straightforward observation. Right up there with “a lie one wants to believe is still a lie”: applies to all of us.

Sheesh…

The CDC just added the Bahamas to the list of high risk areas, so expect to see tighter restrictions for returning to the US.

That's an interesting one I hadn't really considered that as an issue and probably should have. Almost all the information I can find seems to apply to commercial air travel. Has anyone on here done it lately? Might all be different in 3 months time but who knows.

That's an interesting one I hadn't really considered that as an issue and probably should have. Almost all the information I can find seems to apply to commercial air travel. Has anyone on here done it lately? Might all be different in 3 months time but who knows.
Isn't there a guy in the pa32 Facebook group who has a house there and makes the trip every month or so?

Staying with the original question, Quebec is introducing a "Vaccine passport" on 1 September that will be required for anyone 13+ to participate in a high-risk, non-essential public activity like going to a bar, restaurant, or cinema. So if you're not québecois(e) and were planning a flight to Quebec City or Montreal, don't county on being able to hit the club scene while you're there even if you are fully vaxxed, until they figure out what documentation they'll accept for people from out of province.

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/hea...-19-vaccination/covid-19-vaccination-passport

I mowed the grass today with a vented mask…..o_O

Man, I'm about to don a mask for yardwork as dry as my yard has been. Last two mowings have been almost a cloud of dust in the shady parts of the yard which has thinned the grass substantially. I'm completely covered in dirt/grass by the time I'm done, and have breathed in a ton of it.

I'm in a somewhat rural county in WI, if a mask isn't required (i.e. hospitals) few if any people are wearing masks and it has been that way for months.

I went up to Mackinac Island last weekend, it was packed and maybe 1 in 50 tourists had masks if that. Some businesses were requiring all employees to wear, and there were a few restaurants that were still take out only but the vast majority it was business as the old usual.

Masks are so much of a thing in San Francisco that even the sketchy people wear them. I watched a guy on the bus try to put one on even though he seemed only half there. Then he leaned forward, presumably asleep or passed out.

In Ontario, masks are rare outdoors (except in crowded places), but 100% indoors in public places (unless eating).

Of course not. Quite the non-sequitur! Seemed like a pretty straightforward observation. Right up there with “a lie one wants to believe is still a lie”: applies to all of us.

Sheesh…

Hardly a non-sequitur. Your post implied that someone who read a request on a sign and decided (for whatever reason) not to wear a mask was a dishonorable person.

I'll see your "Sheesh" and raise you an "Oh brother...."

Hardly a non-sequitur. Your post implied that someone who read a request on a sign and decided (for whatever reason) not to wear a mask was a dishonorable person.

I'll see your "Sheesh" and raise you an "Oh brother...."
Yes, I meant that, especially if someone intentionally ignored the request of the shop owner, etc.

Your retort was “Does holding a different opinion than you do make a person dishonorable?”. Completely different. My opinion on a matter has nothing to do with another person’s honor. Still a non-sequitir. And still “sheesh” since an “honor system” indeed depends on, well, honor.

Yes, I meant that, especially if someone intentionally ignored the request of the shop owner, etc.

Your retort was “Does holding a different opinion than you do make a person dishonorable?”. Completely different. My opinion on a matter has nothing to do with another person’s honor. Still a non-sequitir. And still “sheesh” since an “honor system” indeed depends on, well, honor.

A request is just that - a request. It can be granted or refused without any question of dishonor. Your opinion seems to be that requests are rules, and those with a different opinion are not honorable people.

I find that to be an arrogant and judgmental attitude, but I’m not going to take this thread any further off the primary topic.

(This is not addressed to any specific person.) Whatever your personal and political views about masks, vaccines, etc, don't forget to be kind and civil. There's no need to try to prove a point with everything you do in your life.

For example, I don't normally wear a mask out on the sidewalk (unless it's very crowded), but if I see someone coming the opposite direction wearing a mask, I pull mine out and put it one before we pass. Maybe the person is immuno-compromised, or maybe they're just nervous, but either way it didn't cost me anything to be considerate for a few seconds and make their lives a bit easier.

San Francisco and most of Bay Area (Marin, Alameda/oakland, San Mateo, Santa Clara/San Jose, Sonoma and Contra Costa counties-notable exaction is Napa, which "recommends" masks indoors)-masks required indoors in public spaces, regardless of vax status. In SF/Marin, pretty much everyone wears a mask inside grocery stores, target, etc. Restaurants, bars gyms in SF require proof of vaccination. My gym does this, as have all restaurants where I've eaten since rule took effect.

SF-many, many faults, but unquestionably public health policy has saved lives. 880k people, second most densely populated US city after NY, 581 COVID deaths. South Dakota, 885k people, 2060 COVID deaths. ND, 780k people1588 deaths

Know how we feel when press reports on an accident, and mentions "no flight report was filed" when the pilot was doing touch and gos in the pattern? Or when in the comments section, someone types "why was he flying without a flight plan?' when the pilot was using flight following? Or when someone mentions carb heat, but engine was fuel injected? And how you think about replying and explaining, but don't feel like arguing with someone who doesn't have a clue?

Yeah, well a immunology/virology/infectious disease "lecture" in this thread is even more mind numbingly incorrect.

Whatever! Oh, ouch, that stung.
LOL - what was my option: reason with someone who can’t accept that an honor system requires honor? It’s kinda in the definition.

I’m old enough to know when someone’s picking a fight just to pick a fight.

(This is not addressed to any specific person.) Whatever your personal and political views about masks, vaccines, etc, don't forget to be kind and civil. There's no need to try to prove a point with everything you do in.

True in those places where masks, vaccines, whatever are voluntary and not government mandates.

If the latter I say resist this imposition at every opportunity where it is safe to do so.

And in Arizona no mandates, except in government buildings, so we don’t need to worry about it much here.

This so called vaccine is at at least 6000 deaths, and counting.
Sorry to continue an off-topic drift, but this just isn't true. Presumably you're referring to the VAERS data, which show that some 6,000+ people in the U.S. who died had also been vaccinated against Covid. There is no evidence of causation. When you consider how many people have died (of all causes) since the vaccines became available, and the roughly half of the U.S. population who've had at least one shot, the number is probably much higher -- but still doesn't show causation.

Before the thread gets locked, and it will when other evidence is presented, I'd like to add an article that has a number of good references. There are many other things that could be mentioned as far as how to overcome (treat) this virus. So much more is now known so please take a moment to read and consider some of the other truths that are being learned and not talked about:

Recent CDC data found that 74% of those who tested positive for Covid-19 in a Massachusetts analysis had been fully-vaccinated. Equally as troubling for those advocating vaccination-for-all: four out of five people hospitalized with Covid were fully-vaccinated. And CDC said "viral load” — indicating how able the human host is to spread Covid-19 — is about the same among the vaccinated and unvaccinated. Contrary to the infamous misinformation by CDC Director Rochelle Walensky last May, vaccinated people can— and are— spreading Covid. (CDC officials later corrected Walensky's false claim.)

Article here: https://sharylattkisson.com/2021/08...cine-induced-immunity-the-definitive-summary/

PS: Not trying to get the thread locked and no intent to argue ...

Sorry to continue an off-topic drift, but this just isn't true. Presumably you're referring to the VAERS data, which show that some 6,000+ people in the U.S. who died had also been vaccinated against Covid. There is no evidence of causation. When you consider how many people have died (of all causes) since the vaccines became available, and the roughly half of the U.S. population who've had at least one shot, the number is probably much higher -- but still doesn't show causation.

In addition to what Mikey said, let's put this in perspective: There are hospitals in this country that are getting overloaded with Covid-19 patients. There are no hospitals getting overloaded with either vaccine-caused illnesses or mask-caused illnesses.

Before the thread gets locked, and it will when other evidence is presented, I'd like to add an article that has a number of good references. There are many other things that could be mentioned as far as how to overcome (treat) this virus. So much more is now known so please take a moment to read and consider some of the other truths that are being learned and not talked about:

Article here: https://sharylattkisson.com/2021/08...cine-induced-immunity-the-definitive-summary/

From your article: "Recent CDC data found that 74% of those who tested positive for Covid-19 in a Massachusetts analysis had been fully-vaccinated."

As has been widely pointed out, 74% shouldn't be surprising in an area (Provincetown) with some of the highest vaccination rates in the country.

You know, I have strong opinions about the whole situation and how it should be handled too. But heres the thing…..

WE’VE ALREADY HEARD THOUSANDS OF OPINIONS FROM THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE. NOBODY IS GOING TO CHANGE THEIR MIND PLEASE STOP BICKERING ABOUT IT SO THE ADULTS CAN COMPARE NOTES ON WHAT WE NEED TO DO AS WE TRAVEL.

IBTL unfortunately :rolleyes:

From your article: "Recent CDC data found that 74% of those who tested positive for Covid-19 in a Massachusetts analysis had been fully-vaccinated."

As has been widely pointed out, 74% shouldn't be surprising in an area (Provincetown) with some of the highest vaccination rates in the country.

There was more if you kept reading:

Illinois health officials recently announced more than 160 fully-vaccinated people have died of Covid-19, and at least 644 been hospitalized; ten deaths and 51 hospitalizations counted in the prior week. Israel’s Health Ministry recently said effectiveness of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine has fallen to 40 percent. Last month, 100 vaccinated British sailors isolated on a ship at sea reportedly came down with Covid seven weeks into their deployment. In July, New Jersey reported 49 fully vaccinated residents had died of Covid; 27 in Louisiana; 80 in Massachusetts. In Iceland there is a spike in cases, mostly among the vaccinated, among a highly-vaccinated population that had previously claimed to have defeated Covid-19. Of 116 cases diagnosed in one day, 73 were among the vaccinated; 43 were unvaccinated.

Recent CDC data found that 74% of those who tested positive for Covid-19 in a Massachusetts analysis had been fully-vaccinated. Equally as troubling for those advocating vaccination-for-all: four out of five people hospitalized with Covid were fully-vaccinated. And CDC said "viral load” — indicating how able the human host is to spread Covid-19 — is about the same among the vaccinated and unvaccinated. Contrary to the infamous misinformation by CDC Director Rochelle Walensky last May, vaccinated people can— and are— spreading Covid. (CDC officials later corrected Walensky's false claim.)

Here's something else to take a moment to consider: The percentage of those who tested positive for Covid-19 who had been fully vaccinated doesn't tell us anything without also considering the percentage of the total population that has been fully vaccinated. Why? Because no vaccine is 100% effective, and if 100% of the population were to get fully vaccinated, then ALL of the people who tested positive for Covid-19 would have been fully vaccinated.

Also, who is testing positive is not the most important metric. Even with the more-contageous delta variant, the vaccines are still doing a good job of preventing illness severe enough to require hospitalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back