[NA] Do you put Fritos™ on your chili?

Yes. Pretty much an essential ingredient to chili. IBTL.

I hope not. I'm looking for info on what people are using for the hot sauce. Not a sour cream fan, but the cheese on top sounds good.

Ok, so what kind of hot sauce? Cholula? Louisiana? Tobasco? Dave's Ghost Pepper? Some rare/special blend?

I use a little of the first two in the chili to begin with, along with some serrano's and pasilla/guajillo/ancho blend. To boost my own I'll maybe use more Cholula.

Lately I have been using these two:

Melindas-Ghost-Pepper-Hot-Sauce.jpg

It says Ghost pepper but maybe it is more Essence of ghost pepper. It is really hot but not fraternity prank hot.
Fantastic flavor.

Fritos has an interesting history .... someone experimenting with Mexican foods invented the corn chip .... had a small and profitable business but put it up for sale for $100 because he wanted to move back to mexico.

Another fellow wanted to buy it .... borrowed the $100 from his mom and set up a small factory .... merged and bought out other companies during the following years and today they do about $14 billion a year .

The best is that they have those big thick Fritos now that are perfect for dipping said chili up - no spoon necessary!

And, yeah, ain't no chili being cooked in these parts for another few months.

ALSO.. When you think about chili in a hot tub....

57695520.jpg

Fritos are a huge treat in the Steinholme. Had I chili and Fritos at the same time I would certain combine the two in some fashion, that there is a darned good combination. Alas our love of Fritos has made them more or less unwelcome in the Steinholme. On a whim I took a bag with me to Oshkosh. Might've been the first Fritos I'd eaten in years.

If you guys made your chili correctly you'd have no need or want of hot sauce.

well there ya go....fritochili are both 6pc and steingar approved. and also a few other weird texans.

Now for the twist....

I have been known to add yellow mustard on top of the chili, which is on top of the Fritos....

Don't knock it until you try it.

Let's just say that Fritos tend to get added as an admixture to baked chili type casseroles. I would honestly just rather eat the Fritos separately, as the process tends to either soften them to goo, or make them tough and chewy. As to the question of would I add Fritos to chili? No, I would instead use them as scooping implements. But, Fritos don't have the ideal form factor to scoop chili with even though they do fare well with cheesy dipping sauces guacamole. (notice I deliberately left out bean dip.)

Now Chili Cheese Fritos... those are the bomb, bro.

absolutely ! I used to put the chili on the Fritos but now I like the Fritos on the Chili because they stay crunchy .

Chili, preferably with beans. I put a small amount of sour cream, shredded cheese, and usually crushed up saltine crackers. Wife eats her chili with the Fritos, usually the chili-cheese version (Chili-ception). I prefer the saltines, but the Fritos chili pie version is okay in a pinch. Never desire chili unless it's a cool Fall/Winter day though, definitely a cold-weather meal.

Well, after reading this thread, I had to turn 3lbs of leftover smoked brisket into chili. And I'm now finishing off a nice warm bowl of frito pie....

If fries aren't available, then I'll put Fritos on a burger.

Yes. A civilized gentleman would use Grey Poupon.

As everyone here knows, there is no set recipe for Chili. (except it should not be runny like diarrhea before eating it) I might give Grey Poupon a try.!!

Now for the twist....

I have been known to add yellow mustard on top of the chili, which is on top of the Fritos....

Don't knock it until you try it.

Hmm.. I put mustard on sausage biscuits, so why not give this a try?

At home, chili, no beans, no sour cream EVER, onions, saltines or oyster crackers and shredded cheddar.

Same as that eating out but beans are acceptable.

Now having grown up in Cincinnati, a couple of cheese coneys and a four way is also totally good..

But Fritos???? Next you’ll be asking about potato chips.

Cheers

Please don’t interject that slop that Skyline serves into a chili thread. :)

(running for cover) :)

At home, chili, no beans, no sour cream EVER, onions, saltines or oyster crackers and shredded cheddar.

Same as that eating out but beans are acceptable.

Now having grown up in Cincinnati, a couple of cheese coneys and a four way is also totally good..

But Fritos???? Next you’ll be asking about potato chips.

Cheers
I love chili, no matter what or how. I like it without beans, or with beans, even though Texans consider that bean stew. I put crackers, cheese, onions and/or hot sauce on it, depending on what's available.

For the record,

I HATE BEANS!

in case you didn't know.

Cincinnati Chili
3 Way. Greek Chili, noodles, cheese
4 Way. Greek Chili, noodles, cheese and onions or beans
5 Way. Greek Chili, noodles, cheese, onions, beans

It’s an acquired taste, like unto White Castles or Krystals, usually inculcated after long nights cramming for a Calculus exam or pounding beers as an underaged kid.

But it DOES NOT HAVE SOUR CREAM OR FRITOS.

Cheers

Back