Pulse oximeter

Excellent point. Some assumed familiarity and safety practice was assumed but, absolutely, caution is advised if you're a DIY oxygen fill. Thanks for that.

Why not just use an Apple or Garmin smart watch ? Mine has O2 sensing, etc.

This thread spurred me to get an updated recording pulse oximeter, so I got a couple off Amazon to compare them. I compared my old oximeter (top) with the two new ones. Over 5-10 minutes, the numbers moved around a little but overall had these levels of variation. Quite distressing if I'm looking for accuracy!

20210820-G7-IMG_20210820_095237124.jpg

Interesting.

If you swap fingers, do you find that the highest vs lowest variation that you’ve seen corresponds to the sensor or to the finger?

A pulmonary nurse told me they use the ring finger because somebody told them it gives the best reading.

Interesting.

If you swap fingers, do you find that the highest vs lowest variation that you’ve seen corresponds to the sensor or to the finger?

A pulmonary nurse told me they use the ring finger because somebody told them it gives the best reading.
@G-Man , that would be interesting to see. Same test, but move each of them to different fingers

They always put it on the right index finger when I go to the doctor so that’s where I put my cheap’o Amazon oximeter and I get around 80. My elevation is 17 feet above sea level. I move the thing around until it shows 98. I injured that finger decades ago and the nail is slightly misshapen so I’m assuming it’s not making good contact or something. I don’t know why that isn’t an issue at the doctors’. I haven’t tried it in a plane yet.

Many in my profession stopped placing them on the index finger simply because the index finger is the finger everybody uses to rub their eyes, and having a sharp scratchy corner in the eye leads to corneal abrasions post-op. The readings should not vary finger to finger unless there is differential perfusion between fingers.

The best pulse ox I have seen was made by Masimo. They have a proprietary software that results in accurate readings even with challenging conditions such as movement. It was pretty impressive; I could tap my finger with the sensor on it and the readings remained stable. It appears they have a small portable unit https://www.masimo.com/products/monitors/spot-check/mightysatrx/ as well, but it is much more costly than the cheapo models available on Amazon and other places. I am not convinced that most would require anything more than the cheapo models.

Well this thread prompted some fun.

I am sitting at home, having just today received my second cheap device from Amazon, as my first is in my east coast hangar, and I might be doing a west to east ferry flight next week in a plane with an oxygen bottle.

We sit at 7.5k elevation, I tested all ten fingers. Readings were generally 96%, worst was my unreadable table-saw-scarred right thumb, best was my left thumb at 99%.

Back