Just got home from my longest trip ever

GaryV

Pre-takeoff checklist
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
GaryV
We just got home today from our Oshkosh / east coast trip. 5,392.9 SM, 52.1 hours, 23 airports, 4 actual approaches in IMC and 5.2 hours of actual IMC, all with my wife.

Notable stops included Oshkosh, Niagara Falls, Boston, the East River and Hudson corridors, Philadelphia International, Sturgis during Bike Week (have the shirt to prove it), and Page, AZ.

We visited friends and family, checked off several bucket list stops, toured some colonial forts for my wife, and had a good time overall.

The only big issue is my started broke so I replaced it on the ramp at an small airport under their A&P’s supervision. The starter is only held on with 4 bolts but you have to take a lot of stuff off to get to those 4 bolts. All’s well that ends well.

I have some maintenance to do on the plane over the next couple of weeks then we’ll limit trips to west coast destinations for a while. The next scheduled trip is to Reno for the air races but we’re thinking it would be a good time to hit San Diego, LA, and Oceanside for places we liked to go when we last lived in AZ and California.

It’s good to have a spouse that likes to travel by small airplane

Congrats! Sounds like a ton of fun.

I tried loading some into a drop-box link to start. I haven’t done this before but here is the link. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t7v22khexg0x8bs/AADTAyeAWI6UfxoUd-p1VhVQa?dl=0

I
will cull down the list and post some directly to this chain later.

The woman in the photos is my wife of 46 years. The group shot with the kids is our God-Kids / Grand Kids, the reason we went to Detroit.

Gary

Looks like a blast. Such doors are opened up with this hobby of ours!

Yeah, I see a lot complaints about price, and it is expensive, but for what you get it is priceless. Congrats!

It wasn’t a cheap trip but without the plane it probably wouldn’t have been possible, or at best it would have been a long more expensive and time consuming. Those of us that get to fly are truly blessed.

gary

We just got home today from our Oshkosh / east coast trip. 5,392.9 SM, 52.1 hours, 23 airports, 4 actual approaches in IMC and 5.2 hours of actual IMC, all with my wife.

Notable stops included Oshkosh, Niagara Falls, Boston, the East River and Hudson corridors, Philadelphia International, Sturgis during Bike Week (have the shirt to prove it), and Page, AZ.

We visited friends and family, checked off several bucket list stops, toured some colonial forts for my wife, and had a good time overall.

The only big issue is my started broke so I replaced it on the ramp at an small airport under their A&P’s supervision. The starter is only held on with 4 bolts but you have to take a lot of stuff off to get to those 4 bolts. All’s well that ends well.

I have some maintenance to do on the plane over the next couple of weeks then we’ll limit trips to west coast destinations for a while. The next scheduled trip is to Reno for the air races but we’re thinking it would be a good time to hit San Diego, LA, and Oceanside for places we liked to go when we last lived in AZ and California.

It’s good to have a spouse that likes to travel by small airplane

Wow!! What a adventure!! How long did this take? Hopefully months? I am a newbie around here, so forgive me ahead of time. What type of plane did you fly? Awesome and thanks so much for posting about it. Love it.

Gary,

Great trip and thanks for sharing all the pics. GA is a wonderful way to travel, no being herded along like cattle at airports and not having to deal with traffic jams on the roadway.

I liked the behind the scene pic of Crazy Horse. When we flew out to rapid city it was IMC in and out, never had the chance to view from the air.

Wow!! What a adventure!! How long did this take? Hopefully months? I am a newbie around here, so forgive me ahead of time. What type of plane did you fly? Awesome and thanks so much for posting about it. Love it.

We took a total of 22 days including time spent at Oshkosh and with family / friends. We flew at least part of the day on 15 days. All of the flying was in our Cardinal RG. They have very comfortable seats and enough wing loading to be fairly stable in turbulence.

gary

Gary,

Great trip and thanks for sharing all the pics. GA is a wonderful way to travel, no being herded along like cattle at airports and not having to deal with traffic jams on the roadway.

I liked the behind the scene pic of Crazy Horse. When we flew out to rapid city it was IMC in and out, never had the chance to view from the air.

Thanks Gary,

Seeing the back side of Crazy Horse is one of many things we get to see that most don’t. Until the first time I flew Mount Rushmore I didn’t know George Washington’s head stuck above the mountain and was finished in the back. I’m betting the number of non-pilots / passengers that get to see that is pretty small.

gary

Congrats on the trip, and safe return. For your wife to accompany you on such an adventure is assume! She is definitely a keeper.

Back