Cessna 140/170/190 wheel pants?

Briar Rabbit

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Any suggestions how much a new aluminum factory wheelpant is worth for a Cessna 120, 140, 170 or 190/195?

If you want the factory aluminum wheel pants they are rare and very expensive - I've seen them go for $2000 each. You can now purchase fiberglass look-alikes for a lot less. If you are going for an original restoration only the aluminum will do - expect to pay a lot if they are in good condition. I purchased a set from the Cessna factory back in the '70s but I doubt they have any stock left. They come up on eBay ocassionally.

Any suggestions how much a new aluminum factory wheelpant is worth for a Cessna 120, 140, 170 or 190/195?
Do you mean new as in brand new just produced, or new to you?

If you got your hand on the original drawing I bet someone could make it for you for a lot of money, but not a TON of money.

Best of luck! I love every one of those planes you listed.

Just the wheel pants or pants and brackets? I’ve seen pants (no brackets) for the ‘48 170s for from $300-400. But the pants are worthless if you don’t have the brackets to mount them on.

Just the wheel pants or pants and brackets? I’ve seen pants (no brackets) for the ‘48 170s for from $300-400. But the pants are worthless if you don’t have the brackets to mount them on.
Speaking from ignorance, I would think the brackets would be relatively easy to make.

Speaking from ignorance, I would think the brackets would be relatively easy to make.
Possibly. And they might have been the same or adaptable from the later 172 brackets. I can’t remember, but didn’t feel like spending the money at the time.

I just saw a set of 48-170 polished wheel pants go for $5k, and the guy was happy to get them.

What airplane do you plan to install the pants on? It does make a difference... for example an early 140 that has wheel extenders installed might use a slightly different plate configuration. With some further details we can probably help you better.

MY first thought when I saw the thread was not that he intended to buy one but that one may have fallen in his yard and he wanted to sell it.

Last edited:
Mine aren't perfect, but they sure are pretty! If you want to buy a set, the going rate is around $2K for a set of polished ones. If you have a painted plane, save some money and get fiberglass/carbon fiber ones. The guy who paid $5K got ripped off and if you see them for $300-400 let me know!

22993000490_83c1b28892_b.jpg

83B3474C-2989-4303-B4CE-D06B527F4464.jpeg
Mine aren't perfect, but they sure are pretty! If you want to buy a set, the going rate is around $2K for a set of polished ones. If you have a painted plane, save some money and get fiberglass/carbon fiber ones. The guy who paid $5K got ripped off and if you see them for $300-400 let me know!
I have an acquaintance with a 170. His polished inboard left wheel pant cracked out and was looking for a replacement. He thought he was looking for a needle in a haystack until he found out I had a few spares from when I owned my 140 back in the early 1970’s. He offered me $500 for one of the brand new factory made eight I had setting in the back of my storage shed on the top shelf. So I was curious what they were worth:

View attachment 60486
I have an acquaintance with a 170. His polished inboard left wheel pant cracked out and was looking for a replacement. He thought he was looking for a needle in a haystack until he found out I had a few spares from when I owned my 140 back in the early 1970’s. He offered me $500 for one of the brand new factory made eight I had setting in the back of my storage shed on the top shelf. So I was curious what they were worth:
Tell the 170 association about them, see how fast they go.

I have an original 120/140 mint right side one available if anyone is looking.

At an Oshkosh forum decades ago, the comment was made that if you order new wheel pants, Cessna goes into the store room and pulls the molds off the shelf for the pressing of the pants. They do a run of 12 or more pairs. Then they charge whatever it cost them to pull the mold, press the first pant, assemble it, put it back on the shelf and then put the molds and everything back into storage. That first wheel pant sets the price for the whole run of the wheel pants. So the original cost times how many they ran on the press equals how much profit they made on the part. That was then. Hard to say what new generations of pencil pushers might figure out for the price.

At an Oshkosh forum decades ago, the comment was made that if you order new wheel pants, Cessna goes into the store room and pulls the molds off the shelf for the pressing of the pants. They do a run of 12 or more pairs. Then they charge whatever it cost them to pull the mold, press the first pant, assemble it, put it back on the shelf and then put the molds and everything back into storage. That first wheel pant sets the price for the whole run of the wheel pants. So the original cost times how many they ran on the press equals how much profit they made on the part. That was then. Hard to say what new generations of pencil pushers might figure out for the price.

I am sure it is expensive, but pretty cool if true. A company digs out old stamping dies and equipment to make a part that hasn't been produced for 50 60 or 70 years, thats impressive!

Back