FAA SODA vision question?

jarod

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jcbusaf
Hello everyone I hope all s well, my name is Jarod and I am 19 and just starting to really get into aviation. I plan on taking my first discovery flight in a few days but in the meanwhile is discovered a big issue that may prevent me from ever being a pilot.

I unfortunately have a condition in my left eye only in which my optic nerve failed to fully develop and as a result does not see as well. using glasses my left eye I believe is a 20/30 or a 20/40 I need to look at my records again. my main question is I can find online I would still be eligible for a Class 3 license but not a Class 2 or 1. I do not believe my eyesight has ever really affected me that badly as my right eye is perfect and I can still see out my left eye just fine details can be difficult if only using that eye.

My grandfather who has been a pilot for years mentioned some about an FAA waiver called an SODA. How is it possible for me to determine if I am eligible for such a waiver and how do I go about getting one. what I don't want to happen is going to an AME that I didn't fill out right to apply for a SODA and failing immediately and then having to wait a year to retest

Is this something of a pipe dream for me to guess at, as much as I really want to be a pilot i cant afford $10k for my PPL just to find ill never be accepted to do any more of it.

thank you all for reading,
Jarod

I am completely blind in one eye and have had a traumatic brain injury.

I fly with a statement of demonstrated ability after a demonstrated ability medical check ride for either a class two or a class three medical; I have had both.

I am also an active certificated flight instructor.

Do you want to fly for fun or for a career? For fun, you will have no problems getting a 3rd class medical if your bad eye has at worst 20/40 vision. If it is not correctable to 20/40, you may have to obtain a SODA for monocular vision.

Then don’t schedule an 3rd class exam with an AME, instead schedule an informational visit. Do not start the on-line process at the FAA so there is no place for the AME to log results or information, just to be sure.

Let’s be clear, however. A ppl is, by reg, an end unto itself. So it’s not “wasted” money to learn to fly & get a ppl. You can fly yourself in furtherance of your business—-like to a meeting & back, but you can’t fly other people around for anything beyond splitting actual costs of fuel.

If you’re aiming to get paid to fly, get evaluated for the highest medical certificate you’ll need: 1st class for ATP, 2nd for instructor, ag flying, pipeline patrol, & banner towing.

Apparently there are schools happy to let you spend at Advanced levels on a 3rd class with the aim of an ATP, knowing you will never qualify (you can get a ppl, instrument, multi-engine, & train for the commercial up until the test on a 3rd class). So what is a waste of money is training into higher ratings beyond ppl with the expectation of flying on a higher med that you cannot possibly qualify for.

Btw, if the news from the AME on the informational visit is not hopeful, you can still fly as a Sport pilot on nothing but your state DL for a medical. Smaller plane, only 1 passenger, but if you want to fly just for the love of flying, you still can. Just remember, however, that if you are ever denied a 3rd class medical, then this path is permanently closed to you.

Jarod, send me a pm with your location if you're close to the Chicago area. I have just the person for you to call.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your replys! I really do appreciate the encouraging info and advice. I am not giving up just yet. My first “discovery” flight at this flight school is this Saturday morning so maybe my flight instructor would know a good place to go.

I am in the Phoenix/Glendale area but willing to drive if it means I have a better chance.

so basically I have to ask my AME to fill out the waiver application for me, then someone would fly with me and say it I am worthy of commercial flight?

…My first “discovery” flight at this flight school is this Saturday morning so maybe my flight instructor would know a good place to go…
Trust but verify. Unless the person you speak with has walked a mile in your shoes, chances are they won’t have a clue when forming the answer.

Alright, my last question for everyone more just double checking.

so I should schedule an appointment with an AME but NOT for a class 3 permit just a consultation, or should I just go for a the class 3 (since I’m very sure I’ll qualify for that) and do my PPL then try and do a SODA?

Alright, my last question for everyone more just double checking.

so I should schedule an appointment with an AME but NOT for a class 3 permit just a consultation, or should I just go for a the class 3 (since I’m very sure I’ll qualify for that) and do my PPL then try and do a SODA?

I think rhkennerly answered that in post #4: “Then don’t schedule an 3rd class exam with an AME, instead schedule an informational visit. Do not start the on-line process at the FAA so there is no place for the AME to log results or information, just to be sure”

I tend to agree with that. Have you done extensive reading here and elsewhere and know for sure you’ll otherwise quality? No ADHD meds in childhood, no expunged records of an arrest, no other disorders physical or mental of any kind?

Back