Post Oshkosh COVID anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strutwipe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Strutwipe
With all the news about the virus lately, I am not making fun nor political statement, I was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed/symptoms with COVID? I was at AirVenture everyday for the whole week and talked and shook hands with thousands of people. It has been two weeks since leaving and I have been fine. I trust everyone else is too.

Actually, not an unreasonable question but still…

IBTL ;)

Vaccinated, had the illness before that (mercifully, mild, although my smell is still messed up 10 months later), no problems at OSH although there was a time there I thought I was coming down with something. I actually wondered/wonder if I was exposed and what I felt was an immune response.

Haven’t heard of others getting ill but not in touch with a lot of (unvaccinated) attendees.

I mingled quite a bit and feel fine. I'm vaccinated and kept a stash of wet wipes to wash my hands as much as possible. Didn't wear a mask. Didn't spend any time indoors.

Fully vaccinated coworker got it at Osh and is ok but not a happy camper.

IBTL

Three days, lots of walking and talking and shaking hands. Nothing.

I'm not a scientist, but I believe the constant stream of vanilla soft serve and Chick Fil A french fries kept the virus at bay.

No symptoms or anything. Spent two days, mostly outdoors but worked 4 hours in a booth at the Seaplane Pilots Association. Vaccinated last August as part on the Moderna Trial.

Cheers

I know a fully vaccinated instructor who was there 1/2 of the event and came down with COVID-19 near the end. Very mild case.

I had the single dose but I'm usually a hermit aside from Oshkosh. I guess it's one positive thing about being a recluse.

One member of our group of around 20 all camping together was tested positive for covid-19 a day after Oshkosh. He had 2 doses of Pfizer vaccine. He had mild symptoms of a stuffy and sore throat. A few others received tests after he turned up positive but they were all negative. I never got sick not ever was tested.

One member of our group of around 20 all camping together was tested positive for covid-19 a day after Oshkosh. He had 2 doses of Pfizer vaccine. He had mild symptoms of a stuffy and sore throat.

if you can say, was he also tested for influenza? If not, how does anyone know his flu-like symptoms weren't actually caused by the flu?

think about it...

Well he tested positive for Covid, that’s a pretty good indication. The Delta variant seems to thrive in areas with low vaccination rates. The school openings are turning into disasters in many areas.

I didn't get it, but I was pretty paranoid. I've read a number of accounts of folks who brought it back with them. Anecdotal to be certain, I doubt there are or ever will be numbers on how bad the even spread the virus. I discussed vaccine hesitancy with a nice fellow for an hour (it was OK, I was waiting for my screens to charge). The disinformation that came from him was breathtaking.

Get the vaccine if you haven't already. All of them are safe and highly effective. Follow the money. I'm not paid to tell you this, it isn't part of my job. The folks putting out misinformation are all heavily monetized.

I didn't get it, but I was pretty paranoid. I've read a number of accounts of folks who brought it back with them. Anecdotal to be certain, I doubt there are or ever will be numbers on how bad the even spread the virus. I discussed vaccine hesitancy with a nice fellow for an hour (it was OK, I was waiting for my screens to charge). The disinformation that came from him was breathtaking.

Get the vaccine if you haven't already. All of them are safe and highly effective. Follow the money. I'm not paid to tell you this, it isn't part of my job. The folks putting out misinformation are all heavily monetized.
This is even more ridiculous than your average post.

Went to a dinner with some RV guys. Guy that was there and who was vaccinated came down with symptoms two days later. Got tested and was positive. Not so sure he contracted it at OSH. his symptoms were mild and short lived. I got tested and was negative. I’m vaccinated.

RonW posted the link to the thread on the EAA boards. Far from anecdotal, we had one dedicated volunteer who got sick upon returning home and tested positive. Fortunately, I have developed a computerized volunteer tracking system that replaced the paper trail we used to use. Primarily we use it to track/balance resources at the various positions along the flight line and to make sure that we can account for everybody in an emergency, but it allowed me this year to identify who worked in the building with the person who tested positive. Fortunately, most of us (I worked there more than anybody else this year as it was roll out year for a number of software changes) got tested immediately and all tested negative.

And the guy who got it had been vaccinated early in the year. Most of the rest of us were vaccinated as well.

Correct me if I am wrong. You don't test positive for COVID. You test for the SARS2 Corona Virus. COVID is the disease you get from it. You can get the Corona Virus and feel pretty much nothing. Or you can get sick, real sick or die. The Vaccine doesn't put up some kinda force field around you killing the Virus before it gets into you. It attacks the Virus when it does. You might feel a little poorly for awhile while the attack is going on. And you can test positive for the Virus while this is happening.

Was there from Sunday thru Saturday.....mingled, hugged, and shook hands. I got's nut'n but a strong immune system.

So, Stein says EVERYONE spreading misinformation is being paid for it.

The folks putting out misinformation are all heavily monetized.

All you that agree with that are also ridiculous.

IIRC, the EAA thread mentions that one member of the B2OSH group died from COVID. That's the only fatality I'm aware of, but I've heard of numerous "got it, it sucked, but I lived" or "got it, felt meh, but lived" cases.

I'm fully vaxxed, was there from Thursday before the show to shut down on Sunday, no COVID. I wore a mask in buildings, didn't wear one outside save for one of the food lines. Was prepared to wear one during the airshows or if it ever got congested with people outside, but folks did a pretty good job staying socially distant.

The thread is being re-opened and will remain open, as long as we can discuss the original question asked and not fall into Spin Zone-like political debate.

No Covid symptoms here after Oshkosh. Prior to getting vaccinated I also vacationed at Disney with the family and took an all inclusive mexican vacation with my dad earlier this year and never tested positive or had any symptoms. My wife is a nurse and is exposed daily to Covid patients and has never tested positive either. I don’t know why but some people seem to catch it easy and some seem resistant to it. I don’t attribute it to just the vaccine either (although it likely helps some). The meds I’m on for MS made the vaccine I got pretty much useless. I was part of a study with multiple blood draws before and after all the vaccine shots and after about a month past the second shot there was no evidence that the vaccine had any affect on my bodies ability to fight off Covid and yhe medicine likely prevented it from creating mature B cells. At this point I just take normal precautions of washing hands regularly, trying to not touch my face with my hands, and wearing a mask if I’m an indoor crowded area. Beyond that it’s just a crapshoot as to if I get it or not and I won’t not life life to the fullest while I still can. MS could make me wake up tomorrow unable to walk and I don’t want to regret not having done something because of a fear of what might happen.

Yup....and the science says that this vax will not prevent infection. Here's more proof.

So, it's like basically every vaccine ever? None of them are a magic bullet, especially against this type of virus. It's all about greatly lowering the risk of infection, and the severity of symptoms, across a wide enough range of the population that we can do away with the restrictions. Then states like Texas can open up ICU space for those who deserve it, and stop requesting extra refrigerated morgue trucks from the Feds.

So, it's like basically every vaccine ever? None of them are a magic bullet, especially against this type of virus. It's all about greatly lowering the risk of infection, and the severity of symptoms, across a wide enough range of the population that we can do away with the restrictions. Then states like Texas can open up ICU space for those who deserve it, and stop requesting extra refrigerated morgue trucks from the Feds.

The problem was there were people (I don't know if it was politicians, or newscasters, whether it was deliberate or uninformed) who were saying that getting the vaccine would prevent those vaccinated from 1) getting it, and 2) passing it on.

It appears (and I may be wrong) the vaccine only protects the person who gets it from developing (bad) symptoms but you can still send it on it's way to others, and there is no such thing as herd immunity for eliminating the virus.

Also, it appears to jump species to species. Deer are carriers.

The problem was there were people (I don't know if it was politicians, or newscasters, whether it was deliberate or uninformed who were saying that getting the vaccine would prevent those vaccinated from 1) getting it, and 2) passing it on.

It appears (and I may be wrong) the vaccine only protects the person who gets it from developing (bad) symptoms, and there is no such thing as herd immunity for eliminating the virus.

The vaccine massively reduces the chances for both catching it, and passing it on. You're right that the media, and much of society's tendency to deal in absolutes is thoroughly unhelpful here.

It's like people saying "A seatbelt doesn't give me 100% guaranteed protection in an airplane crash, so why should I wear it when flying at all?" Bizarre.

if you can say, was he also tested for influenza? If not, how does anyone know his flu-like symptoms weren't actually caused by the flu?

think about it...

- the flu is very uncommon outside of 'flu season'
- many hospital labs run a 'respiratory pathogen panel' that has covid, flu A, flu B, Legionella and 18 others on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back