New Yorker Article - Living with a Pilot

Uh. I think I’ll take Thumpers mothers advice on this one.

Thank you so much for linking such a wonderful article. I should resubscribe to the New Yorker, the writing is exemplary. My two favorite quotes from this one:

He showed me pictures of the planes he wanted, including a homebuilt plane called a STOL CH750, which looked like a sixth-grade art project writ large.

Though, as hobbies go, there are many that are costlier, deadlier, and a hundred per cent illegal. Find the good and praise it.

Thank you so much for linking such a wonderful article. I should resubscribe to the New Yorker, the writing is exemplary.​

It’s certainly a favorite of mine. Now a subscription includes the weekly mag and an app. I read both 50:50. A couple of weekly podcasts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What a surprise it was to open my issue of The New Yorker and find that article! It was very well written and great PR for general aviation.

I've been a subscriber for decades, and look forward to it in my mailbox every week.

‘How do you know he/she is a pilot’? ‘Don’t worry, they’ll tell you’. Wasn’t that the thing?

should resubscribe to the New Yorker
I do, and super cheap too. My mom read it growing up and I used to love going for the cartoons. I'm happy they're still in print, or at least, still exist

Good writing, not too much (overt) politics, and something different from the usual

Thanks, that's funny.

I wanted to read the various texts in the cartoon and found this higher resolution one on t'interwebs.
view-from-9th-ave.jpg

https://mk0brilliantmaptxoqs.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/view-from-9th-ave.jpg

Reactions: Ted
That magazine cover is perhaps one of the most brilliant illustrations ever created. As someone who grew up in NYC (granted not on 9th Avenue), it is exactly how New Yorkers, especially those from Manhattan, view the rest of the world.

Agreed. I moved to Manhattan in ‘77. Captured my moment anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Ted
For those that didn’t read it: she describes how much she loves flying by talking about how much she hates flying and describes how great a pilot her husband is by explaining about how terrible a pilot he is.

For those that didn’t read it: she describes how much she loves flying by talking about how much she hates flying and describes how great a pilot her husband is by explaining about how terrible a pilot he is.

That’s actually a pretty good synopsis!

I read it for the diaereses.

I thought it was a very good article. It made me stop and think about the impact that my passion for aviation has on others. You can dismiss them as 'whiners' and 'downers', but most (okay, maybe a couple) of us on here have loved ones who's concerns are perfectly rational and justified. Is it really that painful to take a moment and consider things from their perspective?

C.

I thought it was a very good article. It made me stop and think about the impact that my passion for aviation has on others. You can dismiss them as 'whiners' and 'downers', but most (okay, maybe a couple) of us on here have loved ones who's concerns are perfectly rational and justified. Is it really that painful to take a moment and consider things from their perspective?

C.
No. Has nothing to do with the article though, ImO

One thing to understand is that the vast majority of people have some sort of anxiety even from flying commercial.. and where many people's companions simply won't fly with them (for one reason or another) I thought it was nice in this article that she supported her husband's passion

Back