Field of Dreams game airport

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tonight is the Field of Dreams game between the Yankees and White Sox outside the small town of Dyersville Iowa. It’s truly in the middle if cornfields.

Dubuque KDBQ is the nearest towered airport. Usually it’s pretty sleepy, with occasional commuter flights and training by a college flight school. But I’ll bet it’ll be really busy today with charter flights from New York and Chicago.

Tonight is the Field of Dreams game between the Yankees and White Sox outside the small town of Dyersville Iowa. It’s truly in the middle if cornfields.

Dubuque KDBQ is the nearest towered airport. Usually it’s pretty sleepy, with occasional commuter flights and training by a college flight school. But I’ll bet it’ll be really busy today with charter flights from New York and Chicago.
Will be interesting to watch that on Flightradar.

It's called fly-OVER country. Not fly-to country. Ain't no one from NYC gonna be caught dead in Iowa.

I see no flights inbound to DBQ at this time. And a whopping 2 scheduled out of HPN. And that may be a duplicate flight since they both have the same departure time.

Hint those 757 and A320 flights are charters, not regularly scheduled flights. And they don't usually have 40+ scheduled aircraft in a single day. They aren't inbound yet because the game isn't until tonight.

Hint those 757 and A320 flights are charters, not regularly scheduled flights. And they don't usually have 40+ scheduled aircraft in a single day. They aren't inbound yet because the game isn't until tonight.

Are we seeing two different pages? Because I still don't see a huge influx from NYC. I see a lot of fly over country origins.

This is what I see:
KBNA
KHPN
KHPN (but I think is a duplicate of the above)
KMKC
KMSP
KAUS
KCMI
KMKC
KORD
KBZN
KPWK
KMDW
KDPA
KMKC
KGYY

I trained and got my instrument rating out of KDBQ. Nice little airport and town, but I don't miss it.

Are we seeing two different pages? Because I still don't see a huge influx from NYC. I see a lot of fly over country origins.

This is what I see:
KBNA
KHPN
KHPN (but I think is a duplicate of the above)
KMKC
KMSP
KAUS
KCMI
KMKC
KORD
KBZN
KPWK
KMDW
KDPA
KMKC
KGYY

I never said they where they were coming from, just that a lot of planes were coming.

I visit Dubuque often to visit the in laws. Nice airport. Very nice folks there. There is an overnight fee regardless if you buy gas.

An Army buddy of mine inherited a large portion of the cropland surrounding that field. I thought he was kidding when he told me they actually made a baseball diamond there...

And no one from Iowa would be caught dead in NYC. Heck, I now live just 30 miles away, and I wouldn't be caught dead in NYC.
Lived in ABE for 2 years. Never got closer to the city than EWR's terminals.

Still not seeing the influx of NY flights as of 1708 CDT

That's because their last game was in KC. That's why there were several from there. DBQ closed 13/31 and was using it for parking.

Keep in mind, this is a temporary ball diamond built in a field. It certainly isn't a 50,000 person stadium. Not sure what the actual capacity is, but not much bigger than the average highschool field.

From an article I just found.

MLB Stadium was built with seating for a potential capacity of up to 8,000 people, or nearly double the town of Dyersville's entire population. Tickets for the game were allotted via a lottery limited to fans who have Iowa zip codes

Yes, a really entertaining game. Played with the intensity of a playoff game, lots of lead changes, and lots of homers into the corn.

White Sox are impressive. Remind me of the Cubs in 2015, the year before their World Series win.

And you know, you could have flown directly over that game. It was actually an MLB game with no TFR.

But I’ll bet it’ll be really busy today with charter flights from New York and Chicago.
From an article I just found.

MLB Stadium was built with seating for a potential capacity of up to 8,000 people, or nearly double the town of Dyersville's entire population. Tickets for the game were allotted via a lottery limited to fans who have Iowa zip codes

Note that it wasn't me speculating people from NY were the ones flying into see the game on charters. I was pointing out that they WEREN'T.

If only someone woulda like have run outta gas or the engine threw a valve or sumpin and put it down in the corn right there during the game. Instant celebrity. And what if it woulda been one of us, a POAer? One can only dream.:devil:

And no one from Iowa would be caught dead in NYC. Heck, I now live just 30 miles away, and I wouldn't be caught dead in NYC.

I moved out of my hometown and went 25 miles north up the Hudson to get farther away from NYC.
It didn't work. They all moved up here. Even worse since the pandemic.
I don't follow baseball, but I did enjoy the movie.

I moved out of my hometown and went 25 miles north up the Hudson to get farther away from NYC.
Try the Lehigh Valley next. It's only half NYC wannabes, the other half are Filthadelphians :eek:

Back in the 80's I had a house south of Fishkill. Sold it 4 years after I bought it - for twice the price. IIRC it was city-folk.

If I don't get to go (we will see how pricey it is next year) I will likely go circle it a few times for the hell of it. Also major props to that balloonist that was able to float right by the outfield.

Great Game. No TV Strike Zone, No Instant Replay, just old school baseball.

I also loved the Hot Air Balloon fly-by!

ABE is a fun airport for GA mixing up with the big boys without the crazy fees though that's the one good thing.

Agreed. The folks at KABE are accommodating (Class C) to work with (well, they should be with the FSDO located on the field...). I did most of my IRA training there, and when I became a double-I, took my students there. Couple ILSs, non-precision approaches, and you don't have to talk with the fast talking NYC controllers. Have always (and I mean always) had zero issues dealing with them.

As a matter of fact, just used the folks there for my IPC on Monday. Had no problems asking for holds, missed approaches, non precision approaches missed to a hold and come back for a precision. Every approach was given "cleared for the option" on the inbound course. On the ILS-35, was given a vector to 360 for spacing for an inbound commercial; wilco, they vectored me back onto the LOC outside the IAP and cleared me as I crossed the waypoint. Never get that at TEB...

Far enough away from NY AND PHL to be friendly, large enough to have lots of paths to practice getting in there. What's not to like?

Not a huge baseball guy, but I thought this was pretty cool. I went to see the movie in the theater with my Dad when I was a little kid, and I didn't understand why he teared up at the ending. Now that I'm grown, I get it. :)

Back