O-320 Upgrade

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
I'm looking at a plane with an O-290 that is in need of an engine. Rather than trying to overhaul that, I was thinking about upgrading to an O-320. Any ideas on cost for either a used O-320, or what a run out 320 goes for, then figuring $20-25k for an overhaul.

Thanks

Watch barnstormers engine adds. You can often find a good used one there at a reasonable cost. If however this is a certified aircraft the swap would be illegal unless there is a STC for the change. You will have to pay the STC owner. Swaps like this often look simple but the actual install can get complex with the many 320 variants that are out there.

I'm looking at a plane with an O-290 that is in need of an engine. Rather than trying to overhaul that, I was thinking about upgrading to an O-320. Any ideas on cost for either a used O-320, or what a run out 320 goes for, then figuring $20-25k for an overhaul.
FYI: TC'd aircraft? May want to look for a STC holder that offers the swap first as some/most may offer a package deal that includes the engines also.

Not all o-320s are alike so you are going to need to know what engine model is going to work for this application before you go shopping.

About six months ago I bought a run out (but running) o-320 off of a 172 for $3500. Just as a point of reference.

Yeah, a pacer. Stc is like 350. Uses most of the same stuff except a new oil cooler. I believe you can use a good range of 320s, but I'd make sure to get one in the right range. Thanks guys!

I have the same swap on my radar, not actively searching for an engine but keeping my eyes open. Any narrow deck 320 should work, I believe. Another option is to machine the 290 case to take 320 cylinders, but I don't know if there's a STC for that. No STCs needed in the Experimental world, which is where I live.

The ideal thing for me would be a mid time engine out of a recent wreck with no prop strike.

I have the same swap on my radar, not actively searching for an engine but keeping my eyes open. Any narrow deck 320 should work, I believe. Another option is to machine the 290 case to take 320 cylinders, but I don't know if there's a STC for that. No STCs needed in the Experimental world, which is where I live.

The ideal thing for me would be a mid time engine out of a recent wreck with no prop strike.
I would stay away from narrow decks, parts supply are getting slim. Especially cyls.

Is this a Grumman by chance? I only ask because my AA1C's STC covers O-290 and O-320 conversions.

If, by chance, its an AA1 and it using the STC, I suggest you look for the FWF from a PA-28, because (if I recall correctly) the engine, prop and spinner are all covered in the STC.

Having said that. If you are buying an AA1, run the numbers a few times before you buy. The Yankees, even the higher HP ones, have not experienced the appreciation that other trainers have in the last year. I recently asked my mechanic to try selling my O-320 AA1C, expecting to list it for the price of a good C150 (30K), but he has not heard much interest.

I would stay away from narrow decks, parts supply are getting slim. Especially cyls.

Yes, but probably not as bad as O-290 cylinders. A narrow deck 320 is a drop in replacement for a 290; I believe a wide deck means a new engine mount and other parts.

Back