Raptor NG

He did have many deposits. The regular deposits were in escrow all along and he recently told those people to get their deposits out of escrow and they could still keep their delivery positions (with an unstated purchase price). There was also a higher tier equity investment of $20k. He has reportedly been writing checks to those people to buy them out. Unclear if they're allowed to stay in if they want to.

I want to know more about this genset he plans to use :popcorn:

It's gotta be a turbine, right?

I love how he rags on the old model. Basically airing all the poor design features of it that are inferior to the NG. Of course in the past what, 6-7 years, he had no problems trying to push that heap on us as some revolutionary new design. Unbelievable.

It's gotta be a turbine, right?

I don't see how it's even possible using anything but a turbine. Using some Tesla motors as reference led to some pretty comical generator requirements doing some rough maths last night.

Jaguar tinkered with a gas turbine-to-battery-to-motors thing a few years ago in the C-X75 concept car. The wikis say the whole car weighted 3,750lb, 400 of which was battery. That’s a little porky for a sports car, but not much. I’d expect some competent engineer to find a lot of weight savings for the setup in an aviation application.

So maybe it’s not the craziest way to push a plane, but it seems like one big gas turbine converting the fuel straight into thrust would still be more efficient. Am I wrong?

So maybe it’s not the craziest way to push a plane, but it seems like one big gas turbine converting the fuel straight into thrust would still be more efficient. Am I wrong?

For efficiency, you go recip. For reliability, you go turbine. There may be a revolution in technology one day, but for now, hybrid to ducted fan is a fanboy fantasy from almost any perspective.

You know what? I have contemplated the aerodynamics of PM's Raptor NG for a full two days now, and because he's a local to me I would like to see him achieve his dream. That said, I cannot understand how this thing can possibly fly with that upper biplane wing hanging way out the back and only a tiny diving-board canard up front to act as much as a speed brake as a pitch control device. It's easy to see how you'd accidentally end up wobbling around the sky at 90 knots, but it's another thing altogether to call that a feature. Is PM re-litigating the Langley Aerodrome? WTF?

Attachments

• RaptorNG.JPG
    RaptorNG.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 56
You know what? I have contemplated the aerodynamics of PM's Raptor NG for a full two days now, and because he's a local to me I would like to see him achieve his dream. That said, I cannot understand how this thing can possibly fly with that upper biplane wing hanging way out the back and only a tiny diving-board canard up front to acting as much as a speed brake as a pitch control device. It's easy to see how you'd accidentally end up wobbling around the sky at 90 knots, but it's another thing altogether to call that a feature. WTF?
Wait...fly?! I thought it was a submarine!

Wait...fly?! I thought it was a submarine!

No, it’s actually supposed to fly.

Probably you feel like a kid reading this from a newspaper in 1890, but it’s 2021 and here we are!

Go Langley! Down with the Wrights! Raptor NG! Shoot it off the top of a boat!!!

Attachments

• 06A9F867-4BC5-41D2-9014-E9586A8E2864.png
    06A9F867-4BC5-41D2-9014-E9586A8E2864.png
    470.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Peter crashes on 8/6 and puts out a video on 8/10 saying he's in Idaho with the plane and his "guys" and they're starting on NG... Sounds far fetched.

This thing is going to be really heavy, and under-powered. So what about adding a giant bungee cord for a takeoff assist? Like a carrier launch, but more ridiculous.

This thing is going to be really heavy, and under-powered. So what about adding a giant bungee cord for a takeoff assist? Like a carrier launch, but more ridiculous.

Knowing Peter he’d use some elastic from old underwear. “I’m fine with that!”

Back