[A]Mystery 747[A (I know, right!)]

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Capture.JPG

This flew overhead and landed while I was on my bike ride a while ago. The Cal Fire 747 flies there a lot, but this wasn't that. I guess it's a cargo carrier? I wonder what they feel they need to haul in a big jet that they can't put on a truck for 50 miles?

Don't know the answer but it seems they wanted to get it there early i.e. in a hurry!

Probably a repositioning flight. That happens all the time.

That's a repositioning flight. Looks like the airplane came into Travis from Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage. That was a military charter.

Raptor NG parts.

CalFire never owned a 747. That was an independent operator called "Global Super Tanker" that has closed up shop. It was a plane that Evergreen Airlines used to lease back in their heydey that got converted. A friend of mine has more hours in that airframe than any other pilot (ex-Evergreen Capitain). He's now flying Dusty Crophopper doing fire work.

View attachment 99119

This flew overhead and landed while I was on my bike ride a while ago. The Cal Fire 747 flies there a lot, but this wasn't that. I guess it's a cargo carrier? I wonder what they feel they need to haul in a big jet that they can't put on a truck for 50 miles?
https://www.westernglobalairlines.com/news/2016/6/27/dod-recognition-for-exceptional-reliability

Maybe they flew to MCC to gas up. Air Force mighta been a little short of JP. Maybe it’s cheaper for them to buy it at MCC than what the Gov charges them. Maybe their next load to somewhere was waiting for them at MCC. Maybe……….

CalFire never owned a 747. That was an independent operator called "Global Super Tanker" that has closed up shop. It was a plane that Evergreen Airlines used to lease back in their heydey that got converted. A friend of mine has more hours in that airframe than any other pilot (ex-Evergreen Capitain). He's now flying Dusty Crophopper doing fire work.

I'm aware it was contracted out (I think they contract their helos out too.) But it did wear the Cal Fire colors when it was being operated.

It had a red tail and stripe, but they were a distinct pattern from CalFire's stuff.

It had a red tail and stripe, but they were a distinct pattern from CalFire's stuff.

And you ask a guy viewing the plane from his backyard with half a bottle of vodka down his pipe to distinguish the difference? Sheesh.

Back