My first AOG

................but if the thing quit on me I was going to put my entire family into a corn field.
Dude, ya should have. Corn fields are like the latest in thing to do. We'd a had like 3 this month so far:devil:

Lincoln, il? Random.

Well, it is the first airport that almost always appears when you try to go somewhere on a 430/530. As a result, I've often used it as a practice exercise for various training things. Like intercepting courses and such.

Random. That's why I used little letters. Shoulda did like K*** or something.
Kaaa is like 40 miles from here, so it jumped out at me

This only solidifies my not so fondness of St Louis approach. Have never enjoyed my service through there. I hope they don't screw up my class C service when it moves down there.

Smartest thing you did was not give up altitude. ACT might "think" they know best, but as PIC you know your altitude = distance and time and that's what you needed more than giving them some clear air space for you to operate in.

"Unable" is a phrase my instructor taught me 15 years ago and I never hesitate to use it if its going to save my bacon.

But did you get "throwed rolls" in Lambert? Awesome job getting to the ground safely, but you left out that part...

"Unable" is a phrase my instructor taught me 15 years ago and I never hesitate to use it if its going to save my bacon.

From the master:

Sullenberger (15:27:32.9): Mayday mayday mayday. Uh this is uh Cactus fifteen thirty
nine hit birds, we've lost thrust (in/on) both engines we're turning back towards LaGuardia.

LaGuardia departure control (15:27:42): Ok uh, you need to return to LaGuardia? Turn left heading of uh two two zero.
Departure control (15:28:05): Cactus fifteen twenty nine, if we can get it for you do you want to try to land runway one three?
Sullenberger (15:28:10.6): We're unable. We may end up in the Hudson.

Departure control (15:28:31): Alright Cactus fifteen forty nine it's gonna be left traffic for runway three one.

Sullenberger (15:28:35): Unable.

Departure control (15:28:36): Okay, what do you need to land?

Well, it's going about as I expected.

Fbo only works on turbines. Piston shop is "really backed up". They think they might be able to take a look at it tomorrow. Maybe.

Just got the call from the FSDO wanting copies of all my inspections and pilot information.

Airplanes.

Well, it's going about as I expected.

Fbo only works on turbines. Piston shop is "really backed up". They think they might be able to take a look at it tomorrow. Maybe.

Just got the call from the FSDO wanting copies of all my inspections and pilot information.

Airplanes.

tumblr_lyml3wqxwl1r73anpo1_250.gif

At this point I wish I would've just kept flying. Totaling the airplane in a field would've been preferable to this **** show, and I haven't even gotten anybody to look at it yet.

At this point I wish I would've just kept flying. Totaling the airplane in a field would've been preferable to this **** show, and I haven't even gotten anybody to look at it yet.
That really sucks. I dont have any advice but I can share in your misery.

what's the biggest hurdles right now...logistics? does it seem like someone's trying to screw u? parts? what.......

what's the biggest hurdles right now...logistics? does it seem like someone's trying to screw u? parts? what.......
Nobody cares. Only piston shop on the field finally has room for me and the fbo doesn't have time to move me over there because I don't burn jet a, never mind they assured me yesterday it'd be no problem. Mx shop doesn't want to go into the movement area. The level of apathy is overwhelming.

well, I care. which airport is it at now? maybe we have some poa peeps that can go over there and bust some cajones on your behalf.....or something.

Nobody cares. Only piston shop on the field finally has room for me and the fbo doesn't have time to move me over there because I don't burn jet a, never mind they assured me yesterday it'd be no problem. Mx shop doesn't want to go into the movement area. The level of apathy is overwhelming.

Maybe a call to the airport manager might help.

well, I care. which airport is it at now? maybe we have some poa peeps that can go over there and bust some cajones on your behalf.....or something.
I actually made contact with a local through Facebook who knows the people at the mx shop and went and plead my case. I have to think it helped, but it's just such a pain in the ass trying to do this over the phone. Something as stupid as getting the thing moved a couple thousand feet to another ramp.

It's still at SUS, and probably will be for a while. I'm guessing the fuel servo needs rebuilt/ replaced, and spruce is showing a 2-3 week lead time for them. Meanwhile there's thunderstorms going through every day.

Ok, that sucks. As if AOG wasn't bad enough, then you have people that just don't care. :mad:

I actually made contact with a local through Facebook who knows the people at the mx shop and went and plead my case. I have to think it helped, but it's just such a pain in the ass trying to do this over the phone. Something as stupid as getting the thing moved a couple thousand feet to another ramp.

It's still at SUS, and probably will be for a while. I'm guessing the fuel servo needs rebuilt/ replaced, and spruce is showing a 2-3 week lead time for them. Meanwhile there's thunderstorms going through every day.

Having someone there in-person always helps. Not easy when it's remote. Fortunately the pilot crowd seems to be very helpful in this regard; often we're either repaying for someone else helping us, or "paying it forward" knowing we may need this help ourselves some day.

One time an ALT1 died in a SR22 I was flying I got really lucky. Not only was the FBO right next to a maintenance shop, the pistons are often parked somewhat in front of the maintenance shop. They looked at it right away, said, "Yep, the alternator is dead." Even better an alternator repair/rebuild shop is in Louisville (we were in Lexington), only an hour drive away, and they had at least one that fit on the shelf. We drove over while the maintenance shop removed the old one, then we went to lunch while they put the new one on. About 2.5-3 hours of delay, but still faster than the 6 hour drive home. Once again the most important piece of gear for emergencies was a credit card. :D

Another time in another SR22 I wasn't as lucky. It died on the way to pick up my daughter and her friend at college. Made it to the airport, but late in the day; comedy of mx issues on two other planes before that delayed me. We got to drive home instead of fly. The FBO was very helpful and got us a great rate on a one-way rental home and the rental company delivered promptly. Fortunately for me that plane was a rental, so I just had to inform them of the issue.

If I recall correctly, it's only 150 miles from home.

If it were me (and it's not), I'd get my butt in the car, drive over there, and solve this stuff. It's two and a half hours away?

end drama.

If I recall correctly, it's only 150 miles from home.

If it were me (and it's not), I'd get my butt in the car, drive over there, and solve this stuff. It's two and a half hours away?

end drama.
If I could afford to take the time away from working, I would. Actually I could get the club archer and do it in about 1.5. I thought getting it moved would be a non issue, certainly not worth wasting most of my day.

The mx shop ended up going and getting it after I agreed to release them from liability if they hit something with it (I have a feeling avemco's lawyers would have other ideas...). They have been more responsive than the fbo, so I'm feeling better now that it's in the shop.

If I could afford to take the time away from working, I would.

What.?? You own an airplane so you must be filthy rich, of course you can afford to take time away from work.!! :lol::lol:

Yeah, nothing worse than breaking down away from home.

Next time go for CPS or ALN! All those separated ramps at SUS are a pain.

Welcome to my exact sentiments a month ago. I haven't flown it since parking it back in the hangar; I need a break from the hassle, so I'll just re-attack my interest after the annual next month.

This too shall pass, but it makes you realize the supportability of the hobby is in more dire straits than many give it credit for (you can already see some examples on this thread trying to flex this onto you as a matter of personal failing/attitude problem on your end).

I just wanted to throw a comment of solidarity your way. I am also a working head of household with gradeschool child, so I fully understand your priorities. Empty nesters and retirees have a different perspective on the logistics deserts of this hobby, to include the post covid ground transpo paradigms. To wit, I expended the same amount of money in one way rentals plus AOG costs (to include remote call-out fees), than the fuel bill of the great ocean crossing of 2021 earlier in the year. To say nothing of the fact I had to utilize the weekends as well, as I was deep in checkrides at work. You know, that unimportant stuff that funds this entire operation lol.

If I was retired, no sweat; I could just navel-gaze near the broke down plane, rationalize away the lack of interest in piston mx services, while telling others "stay away muh aDsB sEcToR, uncommitted peasant". :rolleyes: Our perception is our reality in the end it seems.

Good luck with the timeline of repair going forward. This too shall pass. You did right by yourself and your pax as PIC, and that's what counts. Stay safe brother.

I hear you man - I really, really do. The only way to get it done is stay on top of them and network others into the fray. And for next time, there are are still plenty of mobile A&Ps that could go the plane vs plane to the shop. I don't know a way it will get done faster - plenty of broken planes and not as many quality A&Ps. If it is a fuel pump rebuild or similar, I know a real good shop in WI that will be faster and higher quality than your Spruce back-order.

How bout I come get you, we fly there, and we intimidate them? I'll bring the Louisville Sluggers.
I’m a bit late to this update… but for a second it was sounding like our next Midwest POA breakfast/activity

The primary purpose of ASRS is to provide data for safety analysis. The get out of jail free (sorta) card is there to help garner participation. I would file. It’s a good data point and it doesn’t cost you anything other than a little time.

The primary purpose of ASRS is to provide data for safety analysis. The get out of jail free (sorta) card is there to help garner participation. I would file. It’s a good data point and it doesn’t cost you anything other than a little time.

Helpful tip: omit the part about wishing you had plowed your family into a cornfield.

-I filed the asrs on Sunday

-I also mentioned the difficulty with atc to the ASI in the narrative he requested, along with the all the logbook pages and documents he wanted.

-It's called hyperbole. It's quite common here, I'm surprised you haven't noticed it before.

Wait, do we put away our flaming pitchforks or not yet?

Any updates today? @Jim K
Negative. Friend of mine was down there yesterday afternoon and sent me a picture of her tied down on the ramp, so I don't think they've even looked at her yet. The fbo didn't even have tie down rings, so I was thankful she was at least tied down in that storm last night. I didn't get a call this morning informing me that she got blown away, so there's that I guess.

Negative. Friend of mine was down there yesterday afternoon and sent me a picture of her tied down on the ramp, so I don't think they've even looked at her yet. The fbo didn't even have tie down rings, so I was thankful she was at least tied down in that storm last night. I didn't get a call this morning informing me that she got blown away, so there's that I guess.
Bummer, so they lied about having it in the shop then?

Bummer, so they lied about having it in the shop then?
I dunno. I feel like they planned to get it in first thing in the morning, and by the time they got it there, the mechanic had started on something else. The service scheduler lady did call me this afternoon and tell me that pulled it into the shop and decowled it today, but didn't have anything to report yet. At least it's in the hangar; that will help me sleep this weekend.

She also said the wind was bad enough last night they had some damage to their building, but no planes were damaged.

Back