Will turning off the master switch before turning off the magneto affect the magneto? (C172)

This is the kind of stuff that is taught in a real private pilot ground school.

No this should be taught In the first few lessons when teaching about airplane systems. There’s plenty of things that aren’t in the ACS that a student needs to learn. if a CFI isn’t teaching these things they should turn in their certificate.

No this should be taught In the first few lessons when teaching about airplane systems. There’s plenty of things that aren’t in the ACS that a student needs to learn. if a CFI isn’t teaching these things they should turn in their certificate.

I don’t know about the few few lessons, but certainly pre solo as part of systems and emergency procedures.

I don’t know about the few few lessons, but certainly pre solo as part of systems and emergency procedures.

Systems training was covered in my pre-solo stuff, along with some simulated outage questions. Good thing it was -- I lost the vacuum system (both pumps) on the downwind leg of my first solo. It was a complete non-event for me. More of an annoyance than anything else. A quick think about what that meant (artificial horizon + directional gyro inop), I had electric gauges which provided the same info, so I decided to continue my 3 T&Gs. My CFI agreed with the decisions when we debriefed on the ground.

Hello guys, I have a question about shutting down procedures. (C172)

According to the checklist, the original order is

Mag off -> Master Off

But I usually do

Master off -> Mag off

I was confused about the order.

Left Magneto broke down a few days ago, could this be the cause?

Thx! have a great night.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 4 "M's" yet.

For engine shut down -

Music = Radios or Avionics Master OFF
Mixture = Mixture Idle Cut Off
Mags = Switch the Magnetos to OFF
Master = Master Switch OFF

YMMV

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the 4 "M's" yet.

For engine shut down -

Music = Radios or Avionics Master OFF
Mixture = Mixture Idle Cut Off
Mags = Switch the Magnetos to OFF
Master = Master Switch OFF

YMMV
Mixture, mags, master, tanks

Back