Where to start

Millzy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Millzy
Hello all. I have been wanting to learn to fly for some time. I am moving back to my home state (Texas) and am going to take a stab at it. I am aiming for a sports pilot license as I'm interested in the LSA's. I was hoping some of you knowledgeable folks could throw some suggestions at me. I want something that I can fly from Texas to Florida to visit my inlaws, and go fishing of course. I really like the larger enclosed gyroplanes. While I am working on moving, is there reading material, website, etc. I can use to learn and prepare myself? Thank you in advance for any suggestions. I'm excited to be here.

Lots of good stuff on youtube. I just bought the Gleim Sport Pilot package for my student, and she's really enjoying it. She's a top notch student to boot anyway.

I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice, but a few points up front:

1. LSAs are great, but their speed and passenger limitations might someday cramp your travel style. Just so you know, you can fly LSAs with a private pilot certificate too. The best reasons to get a sport pilot certificate are a) you aren't sure you can pass a third class medical without unacceptable amounts of money and effort, or b) you want a shorter pathway to a license. Those are both very good reasons, and getting a sport pilot certificate doesn't preclude upgrading to a private pilot certificate later. I just wanted to make sure you weren't thinking "I want to fly LSAs, therefore my only option is a sport pilot license."

2. Enclosed gyroplanes look like a ton of fun. I've never flown one myself. But keep in mind that if you go primarily that route, you're limiting your future ease of finding an aircraft to fly dramatically. You could buy one for yourself, or maybe search really hard for someone who wants to let you buy into theirs. So if it's your dream, go for it. But fixed wing planes are easy to rent, easy to buy and sell, easy to find partners and clubs, etc.

Anyway, I guess my reactions to your post are:
1. Awesome; go for it!
2. If you really want to do the gyroplane thing and your goal is travel, maybe it makes sense to look now for a model that you think would fit your mission (i.e. the Texas-to-Florida flight). Then find an example to take a ride in, and think about what the steps would be to buy one.
3. If you aren't wedded to the gyroplane idea, maybe just go to your local flight school, flight instructor, or small airport and look for somebody to give you a "discovery flight" (first lesson with an instructor) in a normal airplane and talk over all of the options.
4. If you have any doubt about your ability to get a medical certificate (search the forums here, but things that most of us never think of as "real problems" like ADHD as a kid, or a DUI 10 years ago, can be a problem when trying to get an FAA medical), do your research before trying to get one.
5. If you wouldn't have any trouble getting a medical, the light sport vs private pilot decision should be more about the planes and instructors available to you locally and what you want your training to look like, and much less about what kind of plane you see yourself flying after you get your certificate.

I'm sure others will be along soon with all kinds of other things to think about.

I thought for sure this was another "three years ago I got my fourth DUI and I'm on anti depressants. Do you think that'll be an issue?" thread.

Breath of fresh air here.

I say go forth and fly LSA. Enjoy life as a pilot.

Thanks for the awesome replies. I do need to go on some flights in several different models to see which I'm most interested in. My interest isn't strictly travel. I would love to fly around my beautiful state, just for fun. I've been riding motorcycles since I was around 10 and currently have a Harley. The feeling of freedom while riding is amazing so I can only imagine flying. I know I want to learn, I know I want my own aircraft. I'm not interested in sharing, leasing, etc. I'm looking to buy at least 5 acres so I can take off and land on my own property. I'm retired so this will be added to my hobby list. LOL I'm hoping to make some like minded friends in Texas who are pilots who can guide and mentor me. My brother lives right outside of Paris, Tx. It would awesome to fly to visit him as opposed to driving.

Lots of good stuff on youtube. I just bought the Gleim Sport Pilot package for my student, and she's really enjoying it. She's a top notch student to boot anyway.
I've been watching tons of YouTube vids.

I'm from Paris but looking to move to the Waco area.
I frequently fly to Paris as part of a commercial pilot job. Will be there tomorrow in fact from 9:00-5:00pm as my client does his business in town. Always willing to chat while there.

Also a flight instructor

If you wind up in Waco, seek out Aaron Dabney. He is one of the better instructors in that region.

Well I will only be able to get a sports pilot license. I can tell ya right now, due to meds, I can't get a PPL and I'm okay with that. @AggieMike88 thanks for the tip. I will seek him out.

Take a look at the medical and if there is anything on there that raises a question, consult with an AME or ask here anonymously. Common issues that catch people are past DUIs and medicine for depression or ADD.

Very few items will ground you for good, but there are some that will and others that will require very expensive testing to resolve. If you can't pass the medical, it's good to know before you spend too much on lessons. You should be aware the if you fail the medical, you're grounded. If you never take one, there is a category called "Sport Pilot", which flies lighter airplanes, 2 seats, during the day and has a few other restrictions. But there's no medical required and you still get to fly.

Some random comments, not meant to dissuade you:

Florida to Texas at LSA speeds is a LONG way. Add in weather uncertainties, and the trip becomes an "adventure" rather than reliable transportation.

Gyroplanes are cool, but they're slow.

Gyro instructors are extremely rare; unless you're lucky enough to live near one you're gonna have to travel. A better path would probably be to get the sport pilot ticket in airplanes, then get the gyro endorsement afterwards.

5 acres is probably not enough for an airstrip, unless your property is 1000' long and 200' wide, with clear approaches at the ends.

For perspective, I fly a Hatz biplane, which though not quite LSA is close. I travel about 100 miles every weekend for 5 months of the year, flying when I can, driving otherwise. I'm able to fly less than a quarter of the time, and that's a tenth of the distance from FL to TX. But of course, that's not why I own the plane.

Thank you Dana. Not taken as dissuasive. I appreciate honesty. If I'm unable to fly from Texas to Florida, it's okay. It's not a priority. I just thought it would beat the heck out of driving. LOL But then again I am selling my two story here in Delaware, buying a 37ft custom tiny home for the purpose of travel. My home base will be in Texas of course. Flying to Florida was just a thought. Like I said just being able to fly around the Texas Hill Country and see my beautiful state from the air would be amazing. Like I've said the feeling of elation from riding my Harley is amazing; I can only imagine what flying would be like. Of course I have flown, but not as the pilot. LOL Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated and respected.
Some random comments, not meant to dissuade you:

Florida to Texas at LSA speeds is a LONG way. Add in weather uncertainties, and the trip becomes an "adventure" rather than reliable transportation.

Gyroplanes are cool, but they're slow.

Gyro instructors are extremely rare; unless you're lucky enough to live near one you're gonna have to travel. A better path would probably be to get the sport pilot ticket in airplanes, then get the gyro endorsement afterwards.

5 acres is probably not enough for an airstrip, unless your property is 1000' long and 200' wide, with clear approaches at the ends.

For perspective, I fly a Hatz biplane, which though not quite LSA is close. I travel about 100 miles every weekend for 5 months of the year, flying when I can, driving otherwise. I'm able to fly less than a quarter of the time, and that's a tenth of the distance from FL to TX. But of course, that's not why I own the plane.

If you're looking for a flying experience comparable to riding a Harley, gyros are one option, but also look into weightshift trikes.

I have a Piper Warrior as well as an open gyro. Two completely different aircraft and missions. The gyro is for low and slow; the Warrior is for cross-country, formation flying, and taking stuff and people.

If you’re mainly thinking of cross-country, and you’re limited to Sport Pilot, I’d recommend going with an LSA. Gyros are less expensive to buy than an LSA (an enclosed, well-equipped one will be around $110-120K) but insurance is absurd. My $90K open gyro is $5,000 a year - even with my Commercial Gyro rating! Plus, even enclosed, they’re considerably slower than an LSA with a comparable engine (the enclosed is maybe 5kt faster than an open - cruises at maybe 90kt with a Rotax 914). And while they can land in very little distance, they need more for takeoff; not a lot less than an LSA. Plus the enclosed gyros have much less baggage room than an LSA. That all said, I love both of my aircraft for their missions.

As for training, lots of options for fixed wing. For gyros, Dayton Dabbs in Taylor, T74, is superb. Lonestarmagnigyro.com He has both enclosed (Magni M-24) and open (Magni M-16) available for training and teaches in others that people own. He’s flown an open gyro cross-country as well as to Havana and back.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

I'm from Paris but looking to move to the Waco area.

I learned to fly in Paris and still have a place in Northwest Lamar County. I live and hangar in Mount Pleasant now. Unless you have your own plane learning to fly in Paris might be difficult. Waco might be more apt to have a rental plane. TSTI in Waco might have an aviation program. You might check in with them.

if your goal is travel between Texas and Florida, I think you need to work toward a private rather than LSA.

... if your goal is travel between Texas and Florida, I think you need to work toward a private rather than LSA.

The OP did indicate that a light Sport License is the only option. Also, my flight planner shows that, on a Waco-Tallahassee flight (~1000 sm), the flight time difference between an LSA and a Cessna 172 is 30 minutes (6:21 vs 5:51). The 172 would burn 60 gallons of fuel, while an LSA would burn 30 gallons.

To the OP, finding an LSA to rent in which to take flight training can be problematic. One approach would be to buy your very own LSA and do your training and traveling in it. While there are many such aircraft for sale, finding the one that is right for you will take some research (there are usually 3-4 used ones for sale in the Dallas area, but I would up finding mine in Virginia).

Once you are settled in the Waco area, if you would like to see what one specific model is like to fly, I have a Tecnam Bravo that I can give a demo flight in. I am about 90 miles/:45 away.

Time is not the only consideration effecting a decision to choose an LSA for long distance flying. For those who haven’t flown a lightly wing loaded plane in Texas on a Summer afternoon. Don’t reccomend it until you’ve done it.

I know diddly poop about gyros - so no help there.

Depending on what you want, an LSA can run anywhere from $20,000 (my ride for example, Merlin GT with Rotax 912, experimental amateur built, not a beauty queen) to well over $100,000 (new). The new(er) purpose built LSAs tend to be faster, while some of the legacy aircraft (Cub, Champ, mine) tend to be on the sub 100 mph side. As mr. Diagman suggests, Light Sport Aircraft are light, and on a hot afternoon with lots of thermal activity, the ride is pretty sporty.

I will admit that an LSA is subject to more bumps than most certificated aircraft. Having said that, I have been assailed with some pretty rough flights in such aircraft.

I flew from Virginia to Texas in the early-September heat and the resulting thermals. On the 1st leg of the trip, I didn't take off until almost noon, and the clouds, with bases around 3,000'-3,500 was not scattered enough for me to get on top, so, yeah, I did have a somewhat of a periodically sporty ride. But really, not as bad as roller coaster rides- more like an overly aggressive carousel ride. It is interesting how different people react to "bumpiness". On a recent flight, with quite a bit of gusting winds,we hit what I would call a decently hard bump, and I made a remark about it. My wife's response (as a non-pilot) was, "Meh."

My thinking is that, if you take your training in an LSA, you take the "aerodynamic excursions" in stride. And my thinking is that anyone who enjoys riding a Harley will have no problem with an LSA.

I'm looking to buy at least 5 acres so I can take off and land on my own property.

Have your realtor look for you an old spaghetti farm.... 60 feet wide by 3,675 feet long.... That's your best chance on 5 acres. I have 13 acres that's 3 times long as it is wide and I'm not close to having enough space to land anything but the best of the best bush planes in there on an ideal day.

Time is not the only consideration effecting a decision to choose an LSA for long distance flying. For those who haven’t flown a lightly wing loaded plane in Texas on a Summer afternoon. Don’t reccomend it until you’ve done it.
A gyro, on the other hand, is way better. I used to fly my Warrior over to take lessons and get tossed all over in the Texas summer, as you say. I’d take the lesson and think the wind had died down a lot - until the ride home in the Warrior, when I got tossed around at least as much. Suffice to say if it’s bumpy in a gyro it would be absolutely miserable in a fixed wing.

I have also been looking into Gyro's for low time or zero time pilots insurance is a problem which I don't understand It could be the fact that the FAA doesn't allow factory built SLSA Gyros to be sold. All the ones that are sold are experimental. I know there has been some fatal accidents most of those were high time pilots in other aircraft. The one reason I liked the idea of the Gyro is here in Arizona summer so bumpy open cockpit Gyro would be perfect for this weather.

Last edited:
I have also been looking into Gyro's for low time or zero time pilots insurance is a problem which I don't understand It could be the fact that the FAA doesn't allow factory built SLSA Gyros to be sold. All the ones that are sold are experimental. I know there has been some fatal accidents most of those were high time pilots in other aircraft. The one reason I liked the idea of the Gyro is here in Arizona summer so bumpy open cockpit Gyro would be perfect for this weather.
Insurance is a problem for gyros across the board. I'm not high time in gyros (250 hours) but I have my Commercial in them and have about 3,000 total time. Despite that, and for identical coverage for my Warrior and Gyro, I pay $500 for the Warrior - and $5,000(!) for the gyro. And the deductible is higher.

A few reasons: the accident rate is definitely higher and most of those are pilot error in some form or fashion. Plus, in a gyro, virtually every accident totals the aircraft. You don't just prang a wing: you virtually always destroy the $5,000 rotor blades, plus most often roll the thing (so the cabin is usually heavily damaged and the mast and frame are bent). Many people choose to go bare.

You're absolutely right about the gyro being a good fit for AZ summer weather, though.

Back