I thought I wanted a Mooney...

Not trying to be an A, but all that time to research and money spent without ever sitting in one wasn’t too bright. It took me one time to sit in one and realized I didn’t like the feel.
I don't think so. It's fun dreaming for a few years, even if you don't actually end up doing something. The only thing I might have done differently was not sell my original Piper until I had found a Mooney, test flown it, and decided I was ready to buy it.

There are two reasons for speed:
  1. You frequently make longer (>500 nm) trips.
  2. You want bragging rights in the pilot lounge.
Neither applies in my case, so I don't see any value in sacrificing what little space and comfort a Piper PA-28 cabin does have.

A flight that takes 2:00 in my PA-28 (~124 KTAS) might take only 1:30 in a fast Mooney model, but it doesn't speed up any other part of my trip:
  • Ground transportation to airport: 30 min (both)
  • Preflight: 30 min (both)
  • Taxi and line up: 10 min (both)
  • Flight: 2:00 (PA-28), 1:30 (Mooney)
  • Taxi to parking: 5 min (both)
  • Unload and secure plane: 15 min (both)
  • Ground transportation to destination: 30 min (both)
So while the Mooney might take 25% less flight time, in this typical scenario it takes only 12½% less trip time (3:30 vs 4:00). That's why you really need to be making longer trips to see real benefit from a faster plane; otherwise, it's mainly just bragging rights (which, granted, may bring you legitimate joy).

I don't think so. It's fun dreaming for a few years, even if you don't actually end up doing something. The only thing I might have done differently was not sell my original Piper until I had found a Mooney, test flown it, and decided I was ready to buy it.
That actually was my plan...well, sort of. I've owned/bought/sold 6 planes in my past. I've found a plane normally takes a few weeks, if not a few months, to sell. My plan was to put my plane up for sale, while looking for the replacement. This market is nuts, and my Cherokee sold in minutes...literally minutes. Caught me off guard a bit.

That actually was my plan...well, sort of. I've owned/bought/sold 6 planes in my past. I've found a plane normally takes a few weeks, if not a few months, to sell. My plan was to put my plane up for sale, while looking for the replacement. This market is nuts, and my Cherokee sold in minutes...literally minutes. Caught me off guard a bit.
That makes sense. At least you ended up with a lot of money in your pocket, so if that's a "failure," it's not a bad way to fail. :)

I was gonna stay out of this food fight, since the last of my 225 hours in rented M20Js and M20Ks was almost thirty years ago. My recollection of them then was generally pleasant, though more snug inside than the Turbo Arrows also on the rental line at lower rates.

But this past week I flew a 1967 M20F over a thousand nautical miles in five legs, from Bremerton WA to Goodyear AZ (https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/daily-pic.54513/page-141#post-3117591). I have a frame of reference now, since I had just flown a Cessna TR182 on the northbound trip to fetch the Mooney; and I presently own a PA-32 after having sold a C-172N. I've also owned a Bonanza and a Grumman in the past.

The M20F handled pleasantly enough, though heavy in roll. A couple of times I had to double-check that the wing leveler was off. With the sloped windshield mod, the airplane trued out at 143 KTAS at 5,500', sipping 10 gph. Landings were easy and predictable.

The tiny cabin door, low seats and large nosewheel well housing between the footwells made entry and exit for my superannuated 6'-4" frame a painful and difficult challenge. I don't remember it being that bad back in the 1990s, but then I've never been this old before.

Once in, the low-slung posture, with legs forward in the style of a '67 Ford Mustang (contrasted to the Buick sedan posture of the Cessnas or my PA-32) was reasonably comfortable, but the seat cushion itself was not. There were painful pressure points in my personal posterior after half an hour of each flight leg. The fuel selector was in the floor far forward between my heels, impossible to reach in flight without the use of a specially-fashioned, foot-long PVC pipe contraption with a slot on the end to engage the fuel selector handle (yes, I'm aware that later Mooney models have the fuel selector in a more reachable location).

This airplane had the then-optional electric gear, so I didn't have to deal with the Johnson-bar gear retraction system. The quirky hydraulic flap control was easy to use to extend the flaps, but flap retraction was slow and uncertain.

Cabin width, elbow-to-elbow, seems adequate. Yet, with every adjustment of the pitch trim wheel between the seats, my right arm bumped against Mrs. P's left arm and often woke her from an airborne nap. Above elbow level, the semi-circular cross-section of the upper cabin narrows considerably at eye level. The sloped windshield provides a welcome sense of spaciousness compared to the original (years ago when I flew an unmodified M20C I felt like I could create simulated IMC by just exhaling).

For this midsummer flight, cabin ventilation was inadequate, and it was hot. And it was loud. Boy, was it loud. Maybe this early model had less cabin soundproofing and thinner glass, but the noise and vibration were oppressive. Cabin visibility is good, better than a Comanche but not as good as a Bonanza or Grumman.

The high-mounted baggage door makes it awkward to lift small or heavy items out of the baggage compartment - not unlike fishing the last pair of socks out of a deep top-loader washing machine.

I get the attraction of Mooneys. They're jazzy looking and fun to fly, but the ergonomics and cabin packaging make them unsuitable for us -- for the same reason we drive a small SUV instead of a low-slung sport coupe. Some of my gripes are no doubt applicable only to early models like this one, but many of these issues are common to all but the newest Mooneys.

Last edited:
What he means by bang for your buck is "bang......bang.......BANG, now spend some bucks" because you just had a prop strike.
ONLY if you can't fly the numbers. If you can't fly the numbers................don't get a Mooney. Its not a C172.

I fly an M20K, I get 175 knots TAS at around 11 GPH. The Mooney M20 is a cross-country aircraft, not an aerobatic aircraft. If you don't like the performance get something that flies a lot slower while using more $5.00/gal AVGAS.

Neither my wife or I are "small" and we have logged over 100 hrs in our Mooney x-country just this year. I am not suggesting they are for everyone, but they are certainly the perfect airplane for my mission.

What other plane gives you 175kts on 11 GPH? The cheapest Cirrus will be upwards of $200k and is harder to hand fly than a Mooney...............and burn more gas. Cirrus is very upfront that THEIR planes are intended to be flown by AP.............not by hand.

Last edited:
As far as the Arrow goes, it’s revealing to look at its performance compared to a Tiger. The Arrow has the advantage - albeit the added complexity - of retractable gear, has 20 more hp, and a constant speed prop. Yet they both go about the same speed at cruise - typically 130-140kts. Roy LoPresti was quite gifted in the aerodynamics department. Combined with the sliding canopy and light handling, I’d go with the Grumman every time.

Plus, friends don’t let friends buy an Arrow!

I mean, there's more to airplanes and why people fly them than the ratio of speed vs gph. The ubiquitous 182 that everyone loves fails that category miserably (the RG less so, but still fails it) yet it's about as common of a GA plane as can exist. Comfort is huge for people, one of the things the 182 has going for it is how big it feels inside

...The ubiquitous 182 that everyone loves ...
Not everyone! I can't even say 18...yawn...2, without without almost falling asleep. I don't dislike them. I can't dislike them, because they stir up zero emotion for me. I "nothing" them. They are just so common, so run of the mill, so, just, blah. That's another plane that people seem to like/love, and I say "more power to 'em", but don't want any part of.

Not everyone! I can't even say 18...yawn...2, without without almost falling asleep. I don't dislike them. I can't dislike them, because they stir up zero emotion for me. I "nothing" them. They are just so common, so run of the mill, so, just, blah. That's another plane that people seem to like/love, and I say "more power to 'em", but don't want any part of.
...says the one buying an arrow...

That’s what I thought when buying a 210 (io-550), but the practical 182 for me in a Alaskan mission outweighed my get their fast of the 210. Still have both but flying the 210 down south and putting up for sale soon. Don’t want to but lots of $$$ tied up. I wish I could keep both but need to free up some bucks. Try get a Mooney, Bo or Cirrus into here or PAOC. Anything that can’t do a short strip or beach makes me yawn.

Attachments

• 9B2FDF04-D637-4B1B-AFF1-B7177387BDDE.jpeg
    9B2FDF04-D637-4B1B-AFF1-B7177387BDDE.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 46
  • BAA39890-0729-4D1F-BBAA-11F50F0B214F.jpeg
    BAA39890-0729-4D1F-BBAA-11F50F0B214F.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 41
To me, a Mooney is like an aluminum wing suit.

She sat in that Mooney for less than 5 seconds before she exclaimed, "No FRIGGIN way! People can actually fly in these things? Get me out of here!" She, like me, couldn't believe how tight it was even compared to our Cherokee.
Like all things aviation, there are compromises. We are compromising speed for some comfort. To those who find the Mooney comfortable, more power to ya, but to me the Mooney is more uncomfortable than I can tolerate.

That's interesting. I have let a LOT of people sit in my Mooney, especially after they're surprised to see a guy my size who flies one after all the people told them Mooneys are for tiny folks (and don't realize Al Mooney was 6'5"). The reaction is almost always "Wow, that's not at all like everyone says, I fit in here just fine."

Maybe it just becomes what you expect it to be. :dunno: Or maybe the long bodies are that much more roomy-feeling? I doubt it though, since the only measurement that differs is the length.

I again disagree. There’s zero reason to correlate speed with control pressure from plane to plane.

The Grummans have equally short yoke deflection, but are wonderfully light. Aerodynamicists have many tricks up their sleeves to increase or decrease control pressures. So the Mooney’s heavy controls were either a design choice or a mistake. I assume the former.

It is a cross country plane, and it is absolutely amazing to hand-fly IFR. I'd expect it to be a design choice as well. However, the M20 design is old. 1950s old. I'm not sure the aerodynamicists were particularly good at controls back then...

There are two reasons for speed:
  1. You frequently make longer (>500 nm) trips.
  2. You want bragging rights in the pilot lounge.

So while the Mooney might take 25% less flight time, in this typical scenario it takes only 12½% less trip time (3:30 vs 4:00). That's why you really need to be making longer trips to see real benefit from a faster plane; otherwise, it's mainly just bragging rights (which, granted, may bring you legitimate joy).

For a shorter trip, you're right. But, on a longer trip where you're making stops between departure and destination, the math goes back in favor of the faster plane. Generally, my family will tolerate 3-hour legs. On a 1500-mile trip, that's two stops in the Mooney. In the 182 that I flew out to the west coast (solo, mind you) that would have been at least 3 stops, 4 if there was any headwind at all. And I would have needed to fuel at every one, not just one. And I would have needed a hotel room overnight, which adds another round of schlepping stuff around.

But this past week I flew a 1967 M20F over a thousand nautical miles in five legs, from Bremerton WA to Goodyear AZ (https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/daily-pic.54513/page-141#post-3117591). I have a frame of reference now, since I had just flown a Cessna TR182 on the northbound trip to fetch the Mooney; and I presently own a PA-32 after having sold a C-172N.

If you're used to a PA32 and a TR182, the Mooney is going to feel very tight. The PA32 is incredibly roomy but it costs you big-time in speed and efficiency. They're very different missions.

Above elbow level, the semi-circular cross-section of the upper cabin narrows considerably at eye level. The sloped windshield provides a welcome sense of spaciousness compared to the original (years ago when I flew an unmodified M20C I felt like I could create simulated IMC by just exhaling).

Interesting. I've never thought of the cabin cross section as "semi-circular". It's MUCH less so than the Bonanza, but not quite as square as a Comanche. I bump my head on Bonanzas and Barons because they're too semi-circular. However, looking at your picture, I think on mine all of the vents and such are close to the center so there's more actual head room.

For this midsummer flight, cabin ventilation was inadequate, and it was hot.

Also fixed later. I have TWO vents per seat, one overhead and one down low. I use the lower one to point at my iPad on hot days. In addition, the main cabin vent pumps an impressive amount of air in - It's maybe 2-3 inches high and 8 inches wide, and the air probably comes through it at 20-30 mph. But that vent is in a center console between the seats and from your description the 67 F didn't have that.

And it was loud. Boy, was it loud. Maybe this early model had less cabin soundproofing and thinner glass, but the noise and vibration were oppressive.

Mooneys are loud. Most metal airplanes use the stressed-skin semimonocoque construction. Mooneys are closer to tube-and-fabric, except they're tube-and-metal. That leads to the incredibly strong structure, and increased survivability, but it definitely transmits engine noise a lot more, especially on the takeoff roll, because the skin can move and transmit vibrations more freely. An ANR headset is a must for a Mooney.

The high-mounted baggage door makes it awkward to lift small or heavy items out of the baggage compartment - not unlike fishing the last pair of socks out of a deep top-loader washing machine.

See, I greatly prefer the high baggage door! I don't have to kneel down on the ground to get things into the baggage compartment, and I can easily fill up the baggage compartment completely because I don't have to try and load it from the bottom.

I mean, there's more to airplanes and why people fly them than the ratio of speed vs gph. The ubiquitous 182 that everyone loves fails that category miserably (the RG less so, but still fails it) yet it's about as common of a GA plane as can exist. Comfort is huge for people, one of the things the 182 has going for it is how big it feels inside

And I'm a big proponent of the 182, and it's the only airplane I feel like I've "worn" other than the Mooney... But the 182 is the do-it-all airplane you use to find your desired missions, the Mooney is the plane you use if you want to go places. It may be less comfortable than the 182, but you also spend less time in it, and you spend less per mile to get somewhere.

It's certainly not an attention getter, and nobody wants a ride in your 182 at fly-ins. The entire PA28 series is in that club too though...

I sat in a Mooney too. I do like fast, but own a Commander now. Every plane has a few negatives, work around them.

As far as the Arrow goes, it’s revealing to look at its performance compared to a Tiger. The Arrow has the advantage - albeit the added complexity - of retractable gear, has 20 more hp, and a constant speed prop. Yet they both go about the same speed at cruise - typically 130-140kts. Roy LoPresti was quite gifted in the aerodynamics department. Combined with the sliding canopy and light handling, I’d go with the Grumman every time.

Tigers are faster than Arrows. Nearly uniformly. The exception is if you go on oxygen in a turbo Arrow. They're both ridiculously easy to fly well. In fact, I think Arrow handling is quite underrated. Not as amazing as a Tiger, but they are no dump truck. Landings can be tricky, but they are easy when you master them and they are awesome in crosswinds.

Tigers are faster than Arrows. Nearly uniformly. The exception is if you go on oxygen in a turbo Arrow. They're both ridiculously easy to fly well. In fact, I think Arrow handling is quite underrated. Not as amazing as a Tiger, but they are no dump truck. Landings can be tricky, but they are easy when you master them and they are awesome in crosswinds.
I considered the Tiger, but the Arrow was the best for me, considering that their cruise speeds were so close, yet the Arrow I eventually purchased has a 1043 lbs useful load. The tiger couldn't touch that useful.

I considered the Tiger, but the Arrow was the best for me, considering that their cruise speeds were so close, yet the Arrow I eventually purchased has a 1043 lbs useful load. The tiger couldn't touch that useful.

Depends, but Arrows usually have about 5% more UL. That said, they are easier to get out of CG

Depends, but Arrows usually have about 5% more UL. That said, they are easier to get out of CG
You can't touch a Tiger for what I paid for my Mooney. Moreover, my Mooney will outrun most Tigers handily, they have cruise props and climb like dogs compared to me. The Tigers with complex props are expensive, at that price I could get a 201 and still outrun them. Says me the Grumman tiger is a paper tiger. A Mooney will outrun one handily on a bad day, for the same gas and less money.

You can't touch a Tiger for what I paid for my Mooney.

Nobody cares.

Moreover, my Mooney will outrun most Tigers handily, they have cruise props and climb like dogs compared to me.

Nobody cares.

The Tigers with complex props are expensive, at that price I could get a 201 and still outrun them.

Nobody cares.

Says me the Grumman tiger is a paper tiger.

Says you.

A Mooney will outrun one handily on a bad day, for the same gas and less money.

Nobody cares.

Whoohoo! It's a Tiger vs. Mooney fight!

Hey, at least they both have the wings in the right place. Now, that tail.... hmmm....

Nobody cares.

Nobody cares.

Nobody cares.

Says you.

Nobody cares.
You can't touch a Tiger for what I paid for my Mooney. Moreover, my Mooney will outrun most Tigers handily, they have cruise props and climb like dogs compared to me. The Tigers with complex props are expensive, at that price I could get a 201 and still outrun them. Says me the Grumman tiger is a paper tiger. A Mooney will outrun one handily on a bad day, for the same gas and less money.

Sounds like Steingar might be butt hurt by a Tiger beating his Mooney. I know several Tiger owners with variable pitch prop and power flow who can probably beat out an older C or F model Mooney.

Dwight Shrute- do you remember my urine sample?
Drug testing lady - I see a lot of urine samples sir.
Dwight Shrute- Mine was green.
Drug testing lady- That was YOU?!

Not sure on further but I'm certain Steingar's went faster, albeit less comfortably

Don’t know about that, but he does have his N number blocked on FlightAware. Probably doesn’t want anyone to know how slow his Mooney really is! :D

Sounds like Steingar might be butt hurt by a Tiger beating his Mooney. I know several Tiger owners with variable pitch prop and power flow who can probably beat out an older C or F model Mooney.
Yup, all true. But for what you pay for those Tigers you could probably buy a 201 and beat them handily. Tigers have a significant price premium.

Yup, all true. But for what you pay for those Tigers you could probably buy a 201 and beat them handily. Tigers have a significant price premium.

Specs, Tiger vs 201
Cabin width: 41 vs 43.5
Range: 500 vs 1125nm
Service Ceiling: 13800 vs 18800
Climb: 850 vs 1030 fpm
Cruise speed: 139 vs 169kts

Specs, Tiger vs 201
Cabin width: 41 vs 43.5
Range: 500 vs 1125nm
Service Ceiling: 13800 vs 18800
Climb: 850 vs 1030 fpm
Cruise speed: 139 vs 169kts
Horsepower: 180 carbureted vs 200 injected
Propeller: Fixed-pitch vs constant-speed
Landing gear (and associated maintenance and insurance): Fixed vs retractable.
Produce: Apples vs oranges.

As for the "cabin width", Mooney measured that at a convenient cutout in the plastic sidewall at elbow level. I'd like to see comparisons at shoulder and eye level. Also a comparison of the size of the cabin opening for entry and exit.

The 201s I flew years ago when they were new would get up and go at about 160 KTAS at light weight. I noticed quite a bit of variation from one airplane to another, even just a few serial numbers apart. The 1967 M20F I've been flying lately (sloped windshield) has been more like in the mid 140s.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing that. You might want to check again.
upload_2021-8-10_8-6-46.png

You get 169kts in your 201? 155 is typical for me at ~8000ft.

No, those are based on manufactures specs I guess, got it from globalair . I usually plan on 150kts burning ~8.2 gph LOP at 2500 rpm and 9000ft. IIRC, I have to burn ROP 10+gph at 2700rpm to get 165ish.

Hey, while you're in there, want to find me a solid Cardinal RG, or Comanche 250? Or even a Bo Deb? None of that v-tail silliness please....

the mooney cabin is sooo tight I accidentally bumped the throttle today and momentarily went warp speed over 300mph. but I was LOP only burning 8.2gph.

upload_2021-8-10_13-15-27.png

Back