Plane Wash ?

C-1 PILOT

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
C-1 PILOT
So, I’m based at an airport that doesn’t have a place for us to wash our planes. I’ve spoken to the airport manager and he states its an environmental issue (DEP). I find this ridiculous and have been wondering, does anyone else based in NYS have this problem? I was based years ago at FRG and then in NJ and never had a problem. Should I get it first hand from DEP? Suggestions….

I believe the airport would, by regulation, have to have the washing area set up to drain to a low point where the runoff would be collected and piped to the sanitary sewer treatment facility. Similar to a commercial car wash. The airport could be fined for failure to comply.

So, I’m based at an airport that doesn’t have a place for us to wash our planes. I’ve spoken to the airport manager and he states its an environmental issue (DEP). I find this ridiculous and have been wondering, does anyone else based in NYS have this problem? I was based years ago at FRG and then in NJ and never had a problem. Should I get it first hand from DEP? Suggestions….

Same problem at my airport. I bought one of these. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200644983_200644983 . I tow it behind my golf cart at the airport to a place where I can fill it. Then I wash the plane inside the hangar, out of sight of prying eyes from the Department of Airports. First I wipe the plane down with wet rags to get the "big chunks" off, then I use some spray cleaner in bottles to clean the plane with more rags, and then I use water from the sprayer to rinse. The sprayer only puts out a gallon per minute, so it's not like I'm drenching the plane or the hangar with water, but there's enough to rinse the plane. The water evaporates relatively quickly from the floor of the hangar. It's a bit messy to wash the plane inside the hangar, but overall not too bad.

I was based at an airport that had the same restriction. Try Optimum No-rinse. Dilute it to directions, spray on and wipe with a microfiber towel. Get a lot of microfiber towels and fold them so you have a clean surface for each wipe. Works very well, no scratching and no need to rinse.
https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR2010Q-Rinse-Wash-Shine/dp/B00D8DR0AO

Gotta be an airport nearby with a spigot. Washing airplanes is a pretty normal thing to do. I just washed mine this weekend.

I rarely wash mine. I do at the condition and do the belly wash/wipe/wax thingy. I do wipe it down after every flight. Short flights usually only need the leading edges wiped. Keeping a coat of wax on it makes cleanup pretty quick and easy. One of my instructors used to look for a gentle summer rain shower that was easy to see through and fly through it. Was his way of washing most of the bugs off.

Do they prevent washing or not just provide a place to do it? I just fill a few 5 gallon pails with water and use a pump sprayer to wash it down.

Interesting....I thought it was part of an annual inspection that the airplane be washed.

A lot of planes get washed on Saturday and Sunday evenings when there’s no staff around. Just sayin’.

I get by with a few gallons in a bucket, a sponge, & some ‘no water wash’. We don’t have restrictions, if we did, I’d wash with the doors closed.

After washing, a little wax & shine, 2 knots they say.

We had the same problem at our airport, they caught me one day soaping down the plane, I explained that I was looking for a pressurization leak. No leak found so I rinsed the soap off the plane and everybody was happy.

Life is a barrel of fun.

Ken

I always enjoy reading about people who use random chemicals on their airframes. I mean for E/AB sure. But certified? Nope.

I always enjoy reading about people who use random chemicals on their airframes. I mean for E/AB sure. But certified? Nope.
You are referring to?
What certified chemicals do you use on your plane?

You are referring to?
Simple Green has an aviation formula which passes the Army tests for aluminum corrosion.

You are referring to?

Refer to your POH or paint supplier for the list of approved cleaners. I'm gonna say that few will endorse any of the chemicals people are using.

Me? Polished aluminum is my drug of choice.

Wash wax all and the extensions mop with 4 mop heads. Works great and can do 182 in about 3 hours no problem

What is the history of the aircraft washing ban?
Was there an event, or a measurement taken to show that the billions of waste water was full of carcinogens- which started this whole thing?
I hope it wasn't just a stupid feel-good thing.

Back