GA airports around Boston, MA

bgreenhaw

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon Greenhaw
We might be taking a trip up to Boston in August or September. What are the best airport options for 3-4 day stay for a Bonanza around the greater Boston area?

We've had several good visits to Marshfield KGHG. Good people, friendly, reasonable prices.

....and final to 24 is a carrier approach (over water). :)

Jim

PS- Make sure you ask approach for the city tour. They'll let you wander around over downtown. Quite cool!

Last edited:
I'm based on Norwood (OWD) which is another good option, and have flown out of KBED quite a bit. They're a similar distance from Boston, but Norwood is quieter than Bedford (fewer jets) and the 100LL is quite a bit cheaper. OWD is also fairly close to a train station in case you don't want to rent a car and would prefer public transport into Boston (30 or 40 mins, I think)

I am based at 6B6, no good transit options that I know of. I have used Uber though to get home.
The advantage of 6B6 is usually has the cheapest fuel in the area, and has a good cafe. But the cafe is currently take out only (dining area converted to classrooms).

KBED is convenient, and has/had some public transit and also rental cars when I flew out if there a few years ago.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

I currently fly out of PYM nice airport close to downtown plymouth plenty of hotel and food options. Quick hop to cape and islands.

I don't know how close to the city you want to be.

I 2nd the approach to 24 at GHG. First new airport I landed at after I got my ticket very cool approach IMHO

Since you wrote "up to Boston", I assume you're coming from the south. I've used OWD and BED, but BVY is my preference flying down from Canada: OWD doesn't have customs (and is on the wrong side for me), BED is crazy $$$ expensive, but BVY has free customs, low fees (at least last I visited), and is on the better side for me.

I enjoyed my time at KBVY when I flew there earlier this year. The folks are friendly. We borrowed the crew car to go into the city for cannolis from Mike's Pastries.

I had my airplane at KBED (5 miles from my house). KBED is not friendly to small bugsmashers.

Depending on your ultimate destination(s), OWD or BVY should work out fine.

enjoy your time here.

I am based at 1B9 (Mansfield), located to the southwest, but did my training at OWD and would concur with other posts above that it is a cheaper and better option than BED, and OWD is closer and more convenient to Boston than 1B9 or 6B6. OWD has a rental car office (Budget?) located right at the FBO. (Having said all that, I do love 1B9!)

I am based at 6B6, no good transit options that I know of. I have used Uber though to get home.
The advantage of 6B6 is usually has the cheapest fuel in the area, and has a good cafe. But the cafe is currently take out only (dining area converted to classrooms).

KBED is convenient, and has/had some public transit and also rental cars when I flew out if there a few years ago.

Tim

What Tim said.
We use 6B6, because my son lives 20(ish) minutes east of there, so transportation is not a problem for us. :)
Less traffic and less hassle than some of the others.
I flew into BVY, once, quite a while ago. It was fine, but not "relaxing".

Coming from the south, OWD, coming from the north, BVY. 50/50 if you're coming from the west. Also depends what part of the city you're going to.

I just drove to Boston last weekend, and stopped by to visit Norwood as a possible place to fly into in the future. Seems very friendly, no landing fees for <5k lbs I think they said, and something like a $20/day tiedown. Have to have someone from the FBO there to let you back on the field, and from my notes current hours are 6am-8pm local time. Uber worked great for us in Boston, generally better than driving the rental because of parking availability and cost.

We will be coming up from Texas. Going to Fenway for baseball games. I think OWD might be best. Thanks for the advice.

We will be coming up from Texas. Going to Fenway for baseball games. I think OWD might be best. Thanks for the advice.
Yes, OWD's good. You can get a lift to the train, and it should take you right to Back Bay station, which isn't too much of a walk from Fenway.

I’ve had good experiences with OWD, BVY, and LWM. If possible, avoid BED. They have pretty hefty fees. The FBOs are nice but you get nickel and dimed by Massport.

Trained out of BED, no reason at all to go there. Can't go wrong with OWD or LWM.

Another vote for OWD. I fly in regularly and everyone from the tower controls, FBO manager, and on down to the line team are just fantastic. Fuel and fees are both reasonable and transportation into Boston is decent.

We were just in Boston. We flew into BVY. Nice field. We parked in the transient parking across from the FBO because I’d lost a wire on my mic connection as we were in the pattern, couldn’t talk to the tower, and that’s where she sent me.

The airport office / bathrooms are supposed to be open until 4:30 but they locked the doors at 4 so I couldn’t pay the $10 fee. I’m guessing they will send me a bill at some point. It took over an hour to get an Uber into town so after fixing the mic connection the next day I flew to OWD as a test flight.

The FBO was great (the FBO at BVY may be great as well) and I got an Uber in 8 minutes at OWD. The ride from the airport to the harbor area we stayed in was about the same from both airports but the ease of getting the Uber at OWD would make that my choice if I went there again. Both Hertz and Enterprise had an office in the FBO at OWD so getting a rental from there would be easy as well.

gary

OWD is my go-to for Boston area. Train is not far and there are rental cars on-site.

Convenient to Boston and the Route 128 corridor.

GarvV
At BVY were you on the Beverly (East) side of the field orn on the Danvers (West) side of the field? I've found the FBO on the Danvers side much friendlier and easier to work with.

Bring $1000 in unmarked bills for the landing fee ;)

GarvV
At BVY were you on the Beverly (East) side of the field orn on the Danvers (West) side of the field? I've found the FBO on the Danvers side much friendlier and easier to work with.
I was on the East side. The tower controller directed me there when my mic failed on landing. Once I got the mic fixed the next day I flew to OWD for the night.

i fly out of BVY with Avier Flight School. They are usually open until 6 pm. Were you at the hanger with a small porch? The airport manager's office closes earlier. That is the building next to the control tower.

Let me echo 2 great suggestions:
Family atmosphere great GA airport further away from Boston go to Minuteman (6B6).
Going to the city and not be ate up by fees or consumed by bizjets go to Beverly (BVY).

i fly out of BVY with Avier Flight School. They are usually open until 6 pm. Were you at the hanger with a small porch? The airport manager's office closes earlier. That is the building next to the control tower.

That’s where I was. It was the only gate I could get in or out of.

Gary

Back