Air Wagner..... He’s baaaaackk.

In his latest “instructional” video, Jerry shows us how to start the turn onto the SID at KOAK at about 90’ AGL.

He uses Cat A circling mins at KSAC, then Cat B at KAUN. And of course mentions the silly “secondary minimums” with a haughty nod.

Then a good demo on how to fly most of the way from the missed approach at KSAC back to Auburn with the flaps at 15°

Lots of other little things, but again, it’s the authoritative/instructional tone then the lack of humility (actually defensiveness) when he’s called on it.

Also, never set the props full forward on the approach to SAC and subsequent practice missed.

And he was rather rude on the radio talking to NorCal about someone not answering the radio.

Why do you continue to watch his videos, driving up his views?

Situational awareness. It’s a good primer on catching errors and thinking through things. And if we can educate some of his viewers, all he better.

See also: rubbernecking

But still in the white arc... ;-)

Yes, noticed that, too (although I think flaps 15 can go well above the white arc, anyway). But it’s sloppy. Later, as he approaches CITXU, there’s a 30-60 second cut, after which the flaps are back up, so it was not intentional.

Then a good demo on how to fly most of the way from the missed approach at KSAC back to Auburn with the flaps at 15°
Harmless unless he exceeds 175 KIAS with flaps at 15°. But it is pretty much an advertisement for using the "all important checklist" for the climb and cruse portions, not jus on the ground.
Yes, noticed that, too (although I think flaps 15 can go well above the white arc, anyway
Yeah. Once we get past a primary trainer, the white arc often applies to full flaps, with higher speeds for less deflection. You'll see it even in something as basic as a 182. Depending on vintage, the top of the white arc is 95 KIAS; 10° flaps can be used up to 140 KIAS. In the 421, 15° can be used up to 175 KIAS.

Some scud running for that one to go over his head . . . .

New from Jerry. in this one, Jerry gives Robert a step-by-step lesson on the best way to create an unstable approach.

(Jerry disabled embedding so you have to click to watch on YouTube)

Spoiler alert: "Low altitude alert. 3SJ, check your altitude immediately."

Once again, it’s the hubris that gets me. The uncomfortable laugh, the calling the controller by familial name, the instant excuses - just a bunch of denial. “No big deal, I meant to do that, haha. That [controller], such a kidder, haha.”

Jerry obviously doesn’t understand the limitations of the interface between his autopilot and nav suite, but it doesn’t help that he barely descended from 6000 after being cleared to 4000 four minute prior, and was meanwhile barreling in at > 180kts GS the entire time, talking and mugging. Or maybe it’s because he didn’t do “localizer glideslope localizer glideslope localizer glideslope” early enough.

But holy cow, that windshield full of city. Check out the VSI on the right side during that dive under the glideslope, pegged at -3000fpm (which correlates with the derived data from Flightradar24). That, combined with being several hundred feet below glideslope, is what set off the MSAW. Then after the LA alert, he forgets to configure and just eschews sterile cockpit entirely.

I may or may not have heard this go down in real time due to FR24 sending me alerts when he launches (for some damn reason), and I’m actually surprised he posted this one, but kind of glad he did.

“He’s all business”

Umm… yeah…o_O
Hey, what's he big deal with a 2300 FPM dive through the glideslope? Especially when you created the "need" for it all by yourself?

Actually, what broke me up the most was Robert's call to ATC right at the beginning. I had never heard "checkin' in" and "with you" in the same transmission. I'm easily entertained.

At what point do things like this get him a phone number to call?

Hey, what's he big deal with a 2300 FPM dive through the glideslope? Especially when you created the "need" for it all by yourself?

Actually, what broke me up the most was Robert's call to ATC right at the beginning. I had never heard "checkin' in" and "with you" in the same transmission. I'm easily entertained.

I’m about 95% certain it was over 3200fpm at some point.

Jerry obviously doesn’t understand the limitations of the interface between his autopilot and nav suite, but it doesn’t help that he barely descended from 6000 after being cleared to 4000 four minute prior,
Nice leisurely 300 FPM descent when he got the instruction to descend from 6,000 to 4,000 when he needed about 1000 FPM for that speed and distance. It doesn't feed his AP but his VNAV was telling him he needed that to get down to the target altitude. Yep, basically created the situation "requiring" the dive to the glideslope about 8 minutes earlier.

Last edited:
If he blows it this bad when it’s CAVU…
There’s a video he posted not too long ago of a similar approach, but it was actual IMC (VMC on top and shot the ILS through the marine layer). Without going back to find it again, I recall him doing some very similar things.

The uncomfortable laugh, the calling the controller by familial name, the instant excuses - just a bunch of denial. “No big deal, I meant to do that, haha.
We have a winner!

"What better way to demonstrate this than to do it will full knowledge, experience is the best teacher, you can simulate something but actually doing it makes it real. I had full control of the aircraft throughout all segments of the flight."

We have a winner!

"What better way to demonstrate this than to do it will full knowledge, experience is the best teacher, you can simulate something but actually doing it makes it real. I had full control of the aircraft throughout all segments of the flight."

I’m not sure if it’s a good thing to say you blew the approach intentionally, from a legal aspect. Certainly not in light of the hazardous attitudes on display.

There’s ridiculous audio of a return flight from AUN to OAK a few hours later (*you read that right), where he hams it up to NORCAL “I want to file a complaint” and after the controller has a heart attack “uh oh, is it me?” Jerry goes on to “complain” he had a headwind both ways. Hahaha, that Jerry.

*Yeah, AUN-OAK-AUN-OAK in the same day.

*Yeah, AUN-OAK-AUN-OAK in the same day.
No surprise. Jerry lives in Auburn and has business interests in Oakland. 90% of his videos are trips between them. He knows that route and the approaches like the back of his hand. What he does when it's unfamiliar is the stuff of legends.
upload_2021-10-3_11-25-38.png

No surprise. Jerry lives in Auburn and has business interests in Oakland. 90% of his videos are trips between them. He knows that route and the approaches like the back of his hand. What he does when it's unfamiliar is the stuff of legends.
View attachment 100623
He is the poster child for, among other things, flying the same hour 1,000 times.

Jerry claims that the GTN is supposed to switch the localizer frequency from standby to active on its own when you are flying an ILS. Is there any truth in that expectation or is he just confused with the automatic change from GPS to VLOC?

Jerry claims that the GTN is supposed to switch the localizer frequency from standby to active on its own when you are flying an ILS. Is there any truth in that expectation or is he just confused with the automatic change from GPS to VLOC?

The G1000 does this, it will change from purple to green needles if the approach has be activated.

He is wrong. The GTN auto loads the ILS freq into standby - but doesn’t move to active; it requires you to manually switch.

That way you don’t lose the VOR freq you might be using in active.

I found this out in one of my IFR training flights a few months back.

The G1000 does this, it will change from purple to green needles if the approach has be activated.
So does the GTN, if certain conditions are met.

But that isn't what Jerry claimed here. He had the ILS frequency in the standby box, told his copilot not to switch it because the GTN will do that automatically, and later yelled at Garmin for not flipping the standby frequency to active for him.

But that isn't what Jerry claimed here. He had the ILS frequency in the standby box, told his copilot not to switch it because the GTN will do that automatically, and later yelled at Garmin for not flipping the standby frequency to active for him.

No the 750 does not flip flop the frequency. At least mine doesn’t

It loads the LOC frequency into standby when you load the approach and can switch to green needles also automatically, not sure about the frequency switch from Standby to Active

If it does, pretty sure it would not do it until it was captured and maybe needles need to be centered. He wasn’t close, I think it was just after he got the final vector.

Back