Straight Lines

BryanAV8R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bryan
Well...been sorting out the 430W/GFC500 interplay. Got it to follow a flight plan...now to just figure out how to get it to follow the vertical approach LPV...if it can. But, you have to love straight lines between waypoints, right? (39N -> 47N -> N40 -> KDYL -> RNAV10 back into 39N)

flight.jpeg

Just press the APR key on the GFC500. That should take you down on the glidepath if the approach is active on the 430W.

Just press the APR key on the GFC500. That should take you down on the glidepath if the approach is active on the 430W.
assume I set my approach airspeed (for the 172K, I find 100MPH/90Kt most comfortable) before hitting the top of the approach and let the gfc manage the pitch?

Thankfully, have a few days of VFR wx here to bore holes and figure out how it all goes together.

going to go out and try tomorrow...;) Having fun working with this. Makes life a whole lot easier. Only issue is that I'm kind of blazing a trail here in central NJ; not a lot of CFIs have hands-on with the GFC yet. I may actually find a niche when I get it all sorted out...;)

assume I set my approach airspeed (for the 172K, I find 100MPH/90Kt most comfortable) before hitting the top of the approach and let the gfc manage the pitch?

Thankfully, have a few days of VFR wx here to bore holes and figure out how it all goes together.

going to go out and try tomorrow...;) Having fun working with this. Makes life a whole lot easier. Only issue is that I'm kind of blazing a trail here in central NJ; not a lot of CFIs have hands-on with the GFC yet. I may actually find a niche when I get it all sorted out...;)

Yes, you manage the power, and the GFC 500 will do the rest.

not a lot of CFIs have hands-on with the GFC yet.

The GFC isn't really any different in this regard than most other 2-axis autopilots. STECs (like the 55X), many Century autopilots, going back decades all pretty much operate the same way (because really, how many ways are there?). The GFC is a good autopilot, but it's not "revolutionary" in basic operation by any means.

Well...been sorting out the 430W/GFC500 interplay. Got it to follow a flight plan...now to just figure out how to get it to follow the vertical approach LPV...if it can. But, you have to love straight lines between waypoints, right? (39N -> 47N -> N40 -> KDYL -> RNAV10 back into 39N)

View attachment 98931
Got to love when she says "vertical track" a few miles before the TOD. Then you know she is going to take you down the glide path.

View attachment 98931
I fly with my buddy who is a captain for a major airline. He can hand fly super straight lines and maintain altitude just as good as my GFC500.

You can tell when I turn off my AP cause my "lines" are just not as straight as when I have the AP on even when I am flying the panel in IMC.

My buddy is a very skilled pilot and makes me realize how much experience he has.

not a lot of CFIs have hands-on with the GFC yet.
The GFC500 is very similar to the GFC700 and the GFC700 has been out a while. Find someone that's had hands-on with a GFC700.

I fly with my buddy who is a captain for a major airline. He can hand fly super straight lines and maintain altitude just as good as my GFC500.

No doubt. My first CFI an I went up a couple weeks ago in my ride...and his stick skill is something to behold.

You can tell when I turn off my AP cause my "lines" are just not as straight as when I have the AP on even when I am flying the panel in IMC.

My buddy is a very skilled pilot and makes me realize how much experience he has.

The more time you spend...the better it gets. I was on an IFR plan back a few years ago; the chief pilot and I were flying to a FAAST team meeting in ABE...I was left seat...and just leveled off towards the VOR...after a couple minutes the chief tapped on the altimeter (it was at 4000') and mentioned he thought it was broken because it hadn't moved since we slotted on our altitude. Made me feel good (no, it wasn't broken...!!!!).

Back