Peeing solutions

Google "Texas catheter" , it is basically a condom, with glue on the inside, that has a plastic tip for pushing a piece of hose on. Then run that to a collection bag. I learned to use these scuba diving in a dry suit (with a P valve) and they have come in handy on long cross country motorcycle rides. Plenty of medical device sellers on Amazon. You just need to know the diameter of your...ahem, apparatus in its relaxed state to buy the correct size external catheters.

Cave diver or wreck diver?

Just be honest. *Before* the flight!
How he or she reacts will tell you everything you need to know about whether they are the right CFI for your mission.

Personally, I would say "Thank you for the heads-up, and just let me know when you need me to look away."

.............you'd peek.

Actually, an instructor, if you advise him of the issue, might want you to demonstrate that you can execute the procedure while maintaining control of the aircraft.

External catheter with an overboard discharge might be your best option.
Calfire Dixie fire airboss, Bugsmasher 12345, 10 south, 6000 feet, inbound with a full load :)

......You overestimate how interesting we think male anatomy is.

nah I'm aware how uninterested most women are in my anatomy..........I'm just sayin, a dude says he's gonna weewee in a coke can with an opening the size of a pencil eraser and edges as sharp as sharks teeth, u may just peek afterall. or not, who knows.

Researched for a friend: https://www.amazon.com/External-Catheter-UltraFlex-Adhering-Intermediate/dp/B00XZP22GM. (YMMV)
Wife and I once made a 5-hour non-stop flight in a Piper Arrow from San Diego area to El Paso. Upon landing and shutting down at KELP, I think that we were both in the restrooms before the prop had stopped turning:happydance:. These days, I would be pushing my luck flying from the west side of Dallas to the east side of Ft. Worth:fcross:

nah I'm aware how uninterested most women are in my anatomy..........I'm just sayin, a dude says he's gonna weewee in a coke can with an opening the size of a pencil eraser and edges as sharp as sharks teeth, u may just peek afterall. or not, who knows.

Well, if you start bleeding, then it's become a safety of flight issue, and I reserve the right to peek if necessary to deal with it.
But otherwise... I guarantee there's some traffic at two o'clock HIGH that I really should be looking out for...

Well, if you start bleeding, then it's become a safety of flight issue, and I reserve the right to peek if necessary to deal with it.
But otherwise... I guarantee there's some traffic at two o'clock HIGH that I really should be looking out for...

I hope that the MC will take note of the considerable restraint I’m showing by not making a tourniquet joke here....

^ This.
For a morning flight start the day before. After the last leg I start rehydrating.
George Braly published an entire protocol... no caffeine, salty snack in the climb to warn your kidneys to conserve, I cup/hour water when on O2 to prevent excessive dehydration, etc.

Ok, story time, it’s been a while...

So there I was... flying another squadrons S-3 from San Diego to Pax River. They wanted to go nonstop. SEVEN hours, no drop tanks, max endurance... like 160 indicated. MISERABLE.

I gotta pee. Whip out the piddlepack I’ve been carrying since flight school. Wearing an integrated harness in a ejection seat... little guy just ain’t quite up to the task and I pretty much pee all over everything... AND THEN when I hold up the thing to seal the top, it leaks like a plant waterer! OMG

Quick like a bunny rabbit I whip out the barf bag I’ve been carrying since flight school. Double bag it all up, pretty well embarrassed by the whole affair I apologize for peeing everywhere in their jet. “No worries, we have civilian maintenance!”

BWAHAHAHA!!! I’d have peed myself again, but unlike a dog, I didn’t save any...
S3. Got me thinking. Yup, they make them. Mini wet vac. A Hoover for the Hoover. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mini-Por...V0hmtBh0hvwBPEAQYDSABEgIHq_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have these for PAX. They'll handle pee or puke. And, they absorb liquid so you don't have to worry about a jar of pee sloshing around somewhere in the cabin.

If you really gotta go bad, you can try to trim the aircraft out and have a go with one of these.

61PpIi3-ffL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Ok, story time, it’s been a while...

So there I was... flying another squadrons S-3 from San Diego to Pax River. They wanted to go nonstop. SEVEN hours, no drop tanks, max endurance... like 160 indicated. MISERABLE.

I gotta pee. Whip out the piddlepack I’ve been carrying since flight school. Wearing an integrated harness in a ejection seat... little guy just ain’t quite up to the task and I pretty much pee all over everything... AND THEN when I hold up the thing to seal the top, it leaks like a plant waterer! OMG

Quick like a bunny rabbit I whip out the barf bag I’ve been carrying since flight school. Double bag it all up, pretty well embarrassed by the whole affair I apologize for peeing everywhere in their jet. “No worries, we have civilian maintenance!”

BWAHAHAHA!!! I’d have peed myself again, but unlike a dog, I didn’t save any...

I was a crew chief in HC-3 at North Island. We carried good ol'e MAF bags (the toughest pint sized ziplock bag in the world). You've heard of "trucker bombs"? We had Phrog Bombs! :D

I had to use a bottle once. The one thing I remember vividly about that first time was that I didn't take into account that you have to allow for air to leak back out. If you seal the opening of the bottle with your "member", the pressure builds up too high and the flow stops while the pain continues. I was wishing I would have paid closer attention in physics class....

I just can't do it in the plane- I don't know if it's the sitting position or fear of spilling or pee shyness or what but I just can't. I just do the above and try to keep legs to around 3 hours.

Me neither. I can’t pee in any airplane, not even big commercial ones where you get to sit on a potty. Sitting isn’t the issue with me, I always sit. It’s the situation. Fortunately the longest commercial flights I take are 3 hours. That’s pushing it, I have to pee just before boarding and always just after deplaning. Usually I end up trying at some point in the air, never successfully.

If I schedule flights late in the day it’s not such a problem but in the mornings I go every hour, no doubt because I consume a lot of coffee. But forgoing the coffee isn’t an option because I’ll get the caffeine withdrawal headache.

In our GA craft I attempted it once with one of those LadyJane thingamabobs. We happened to be over Lake Michigan. I’ll never forget it, it was traumatizing and, of course, unsuccessful. I think it’s a combination of the engine vibrations and psychology. In our planes it was the wide open windscreens and the idea the whole world was watching. I know that’s insane, there wasn’t anything in the sky to see me.

In commercial planes it’s the reverse, it’s a closed imprisonment situation. I’m trapped. Nobody can see me in the little lav but they (strangers) are right on the other side of the door, probably one standing there tapping his foot because I’m taking too long. My bladder just shuts down, says nope, no way, not gonna happen.

Google "Texas catheter" , it is basically a condom, with glue on the inside, that has a plastic tip for pushing a piece of hose on. Then run that to a collection bag. I learned to use these scuba diving in a dry suit (with a P valve) and they have come in handy on long cross country motorcycle rides. Plenty of medical device sellers on Amazon. You just need to know the diameter of your...ahem, apparatus in its relaxed state to buy the correct size external catheters.

“P valve”. Tee hee. :D

4 o'clock may provide better visual shielding. :)

You know, this thread got me thinking how easy it would be to install a drain tube in the Comanche since the emergency gear extension plate is right by the front seat anyway.

So there I was... carrier qualifying in the T2 south of key west, not too far from Cuba. I had liquids stashed EVERYWHERE on me since they warned us of extreme heat, clam shell canopies, blah blah blah.

I trap, get tied down, still turning waiting on weather ashore. It’s HOT. I’m sitting forever. We each, being BRAND NEW, have our own plane captain assigned. Looks like it’s gonna be a while, I get brave and take out my camera and take a picture. That goes well, now I’m gonna take a sip of water, not too much, can’t imagine carrier qualifying needing to pee.

I have a 4oz water bottle in my survival vest. It tastes GOOD and I hate water... Need more, that didn’t help much. Like an relapsed alcoholic on a binge I systematically and immediately work my way through another military 16oz flask in my nav bag, another in my “go bag” (skivvies and tooth brush), a third stashed somewhere, a quart of Gatorade in my speed jeans (g-suit), and another quart in the other leg.

I drank EVERYTHING I owned like immediately! It was then I realized I was doomed! I looked at my plane captain he was just staring jaw agape! I later learned he didn’t think we could carry that much.

Weather cleared, I finished, flew back to shore (a funny lost story there...) and NEVER did have to pee. Apparently just sweated it all out.

So that’s another option...

Tools

External catheter with an overboard discharge might be your best option.
I heard a story from a trustworthy source about a glider pilot who had one of these he called his Personal Integrated Sanitation System. He routed the surgical tubing overboard discharge out the center wheel of his glider and all went well until the tubing wrapped around the axle on landing rollout. As the story goes the ground handlers heard a pained "PUSHITBACKPUSHITBACK" as they approached after landing.

Nauga,
and a southern twang

Oooooh... a moment of silence please.....

Oooooh...

I heard a story from a trustworthy source about a glider pilot who had one of these he called his Personal Integrated Sanitation System. He routed the surgical tubing overboard discharge out the center wheel of his glider and all went well until the tubing wrapped around the axle on landing rollout. As the story goes the ground handlers heard a pained "PUSHITBACKPUSHITBACK" as they approached after landing.

Nauga,
and a southern twang
Do not google penis extender.

Hang Glider pilots used to use the external catheters. We called them Catholic condoms. Stick the end in your sock and when you have to go, unzip the harness, drop that leg and flip the tubing out the sock and let go. A fairly well known pilot had one slip out on a take-off run and he stepped on it. According to him, it hurt... A LOT.

4 o'clock may provide better visual shielding. :)

You know, this thread got me thinking how easy it would be to install a drain tube in the Comanche since the emergency gear extension plate is right by the front seat anyway.

The Navy SH-3 had relief tubes that went through the structure adjacent to the doppler radome. The older doppler radars had an RF-absorbent packed around the top of the radome that had to be inspected on every phase (think 100hr inspection).

No one every wanted to do that job. Relief tubes on aircraft a a huge nuisance, and a source of corrosion. Take mercy on the guy who cleans your airplane. Pee before you fly. And, carry a piddle pack for emergencies!

Scenario 1: You're flying a Huey in the summer, big wide doors locked open. One of the pax in back decides he has to relieve himself. Crew chief has one of those spare cans they seem to always have on board, next to the tool box. Gives it to the pax, who does his business, then with a mighty heave tosses the contents of the can out the door. And is immediately surprised with a golden shower coming right back in the passenger compartment at high velocity, right into his face and all over his seatmates. No one is amused except the pilots, who hear cussing over the intercom.

Scenario 2: You've landed a Huey next to a rapid refueling point. Time for pilot relief. Your pilot exits the aircraft, goes back to where the fuselage joins the tail boom, forming a meager little corner of privacy, faces the aircraft and points his nozzle toward the ground beneath the tail boom. The blades are at flat pitch, engine at flight idle RPM -- minimal disturbed air. Aircraft commander is a prankster as most A/Cs were (or are). Waits exactly the right amount of time, and pulls way up on collective pitch, forming a sudden vortex under the tailboom, redirecting the the nozzle stream upward and turning it into a fine and disgusting mist back in pilot's face. Good times are had by all, except the pilot. Trick is only pulled once per individual, of course.

Last edited:
The Navy SH-3 had relief tubes that went through the structure adjacent to the doppler radome. The older doppler radars had an RF-absorbent packed around the top of the radome that had to be inspected on every phase (think 100hr inspection).

No one every wanted to do that job. Relief tubes on aircraft a a huge nuisance, and a source of corrosion. Take mercy on the guy who cleans your airplane. Pee before you fly. And, carry a piddle pack for emergencies!

If i did this I would have the tube extend out through the tailcone. But I probably won't as I pee before I fly and don't drink until 60 - 75 minutes left in the flight.

I probably spent 3000 hours doing long XCs, as in 3-5 hours non-stop. For me, I saved empty Gatorade/Powerade bottles. Even an empty water bottle would work.

When I had a copilot, it would just be a matter of saying "I'm going in back, you've got the plane." The 414 was very convenient for that since it had a relief tube, although admittedly that would sometimes be challenging with the dog crates and require going in back, moving things around to gain access, and then return things to how they were.

But if you're having to go that frequently and you don't have some obvious explanation (like you drank way too much water right before getting in the plane), or even if you do have a semi-obvious explanation, you might want to look at your blood sugar numbers. My fasting blood sugar the last few times was at the very bottom of the "pre-diabetic" range. Doc never flagged it or said anything to me about it. Then I started looking at symptoms (one of them is frequent urination). Cut my carb intake roughly to 1/3 of what it used to be. Hey, symptoms went away. Exercise helped with that too. Just one thing to consider that may or may not be related.

I probably spent 3000 hours doing long XCs, as in 3-5 hours non-stop. For me, I saved empty Gatorade/Powerade bottles. Even an empty water bottle would work.

When I had a copilot, it would just be a matter of saying "I'm going in back, you've got the plane." The 414 was very convenient for that since it had a relief tube, although admittedly that would sometimes be challenging with the dog crates and require going in back, moving things around to gain access, and then return things to how they were.

But if you're having to go that frequently and you don't have some obvious explanation (like you drank way too much water right before getting in the plane), or even if you do have a semi-obvious explanation, you might want to look at your blood sugar numbers. My fasting blood sugar the last few times was at the very bottom of the "pre-diabetic" range. Doc never flagged it or said anything to me about it. Then I started looking at symptoms (one of them is frequent urination). Cut my carb intake roughly to 1/3 of what it used to be. Hey, symptoms went away. Exercise helped with that too. Just one thing to consider that may or may not be related.

Definitely something to watch for and catch early. It’s worth investing in a finger prick kit and test strips and just spot check yourself regularly (fasting and post meals). Annual A1c at your doctor is inadequate if you are already prediabetic. If you’re a carb addict like me, use the kit to scare yourself straight if you pig out. It really works.

You can also taste your pee and see if it’s sweet. :hairraise: :no: :lol:

Definitely something to watch for and catch early. It’s worth investing in a finger prick kit and test strips and just spot check yourself regularly (fasting and post meals). Annual A1c at your doctor is inadequate if you are already prediabetic. If you’re a carb addict like me, use the kit to scare yourself straight if you pig out. It really works.

I thought about getting some sort of blood glucose monitor more than anything for my engineering curiosity. But while I end up cutting myself on things all the time in the shop, I don't like intentional finger pricks or needles, so that's out for me. I also don't want to spend the money on one of the advanced BGM setups that diabetics use. For the moment the very noticeable change in symptom behavior is enough for me to work with. I'm not a carb addict and actually never had much of a sweet tooth. Once I got the added sugar part out of my diet (took me a couple weeks to get used to my coffee unsweetened) it's been simple. The hard part has been now reading nutrition labels, and realizing how many carbs are in everything. But as I get a routine down it's been working well. I'm feeling a lot better.

I thought about getting some sort of blood glucose monitor more than anything for my engineering curiosity. But while I end up cutting myself on things all the time in the shop, I don't like intentional finger pricks or needles, so that's out for me. I also don't want to spend the money on one of the advanced BGM setups that diabetics use. For the moment the very noticeable change in symptom behavior is enough for me to work with. I'm not a carb addict and actually never had much of a sweet tooth. Once I got the added sugar part out of my diet (took me a couple weeks to get used to my coffee unsweetened) it's been simple. The hard part has been now reading nutrition labels, and realizing how many carbs are in everything. But as I get a routine down it's been working well. I'm feeling a lot better.

You’re probably good then. The first step I took was quitting sodas. I did that years ago when the kids were small. We switched to water at restaurants instead of “coke” and if there is a single parenting choice we made that was best that might have been it. To this day our kids (now in their 30s) order water in restaurants and eschew soft drinks, and they actually thank us for that habit.

On the other hand my brother and his wife forbade their kids to ever let soda cross their lips and it backfired. When they reached their teens they rebelled and deliberately went out and got sodas. So YMMV. :dunno:

There was a guy I met just once, he was a heating contractor or something, mid 30s or 40s at the most, and he had a huge liter bottle of Mountain Dew he was drinking. He complained his feet were hurting and being nosy I asked him what he supposed was the cause. He said he knew it was type 2 diabetes, he had test strips and his sugars were in the hundreds, I think he said 300. Might have said 600 but I don’t know if you’re still walking around at that level. So of course I’m saying eeeeek, why aren’t you in your doctor’s office right now and why are you drinking Mountain Dew? He said, “I love this stuff I drink several bottles a day, I’m always carrying around a bottle,” as for the doctor I don’t remember maybe he was too busy, couldn’t get around to it or “felt fine”. I felt like I was watching him pointing a gun at his head playing Russian roulette.

Diabetes makes you thirsty, you drink more, you drink Mountain Dew (it was not the diet version!) you drive your BS up even more, you drink even more, it’s like a death spiral. Dude, go to the doctor, now! That guy sticks in my head. I don’t know what ever happened to him.

I see fat moms in the grocery checkout with already obese little kids, the cart full of big soda bottles. I audit freight for a job and you wouldn’t believe the amount of corn syrup that travels around the U.S. all destined to go inside our bodies.

Rant off. Knowledge is the best defense and it looks like you got it covered.:thumbsup:

He said he knew it was type 2 diabetes, he had test strips and his sugars were in the hundreds, I think he said 300. Might have said 600 but I don’t know if you’re still walking around at that level.

I have family members that have diabetes (type 1 & 2) and even our beautiful Maine Coon cat takes insulin for his diabetes. Yes you can live at 600 but that should never be a number a person sees. 300 is still off the scale quite a bit.

But when one of our children was diagnosed I asked the doctor what the cause was. Of course he said he didn't know but insisted that it wasn't caused by too much sugar. I find that a bit hard to believe. When I pressed him as to what he thought was the cause he said that many professionals believe that these autoimmune diseases are caused by the over immunization of children when they are young i.e. corrupting/confusing the immune system. I found that to be a fascinating statement seeing as how this was a leading endocrinologist at a major hospital.

Very good post Rush(ie) about knowledge and responsibility! If more people took care of themselves in their body, soul, and spirit they would do better when difficult days come along. But as I stated before ... it's left to the individual to make these decisions. Where you find yourself is where you took yourself.

no caffeine, salty snack in the climb to warn your kidneys to conserve, I cup/hour
Interesting.. this is basically my protocol

No caffeine, for a long flight I won't drink much starting hours before .. and do the whole pretzel thing in climb. I do sip off my water bottle.. it probably works out to about 1 cup per hour

I have family members that have diabetes (type 1 & 2) and even our beautiful Maine Coon cat takes insulin for his diabetes. Yes you can live at 600 but that should never be a number a person sees. 300 is still off the scale quite a bit.

But when one of our children was diagnosed I asked the doctor what the cause was. Of course he said he didn't know but insisted that it wasn't caused by too much sugar. I find that a bit hard to believe. When I pressed him as to what he thought was the cause he said that many professionals believe that these autoimmune diseases are caused by the over immunization of children when they are young i.e. corrupting/confusing the immune system. I found that to be a fascinating statement seeing as how this was a leading endocrinologist at a major hospital.

Very good post Rush(ie) about knowledge and responsibility! If more people took care of themselves in their body, soul, and spirit they would do better when difficult days come along. But as I stated before ... it's left to the individual to make these decisions. Where you find yourself is where you took yourself.

But was your child type 1? I think that is autoimmune (attack on the pancreas) and definitely not caused by eating sugar, unless eating high carb is indirectly related to developing autoimmune disease. I wonder about the vaccination theory. It would seem to make sense we are artificially loading our system, however, there is no way to prove that it does or it doesn’t. We cannot do controlled studies, that would be unethical.

For type 2, there is definitely a genetic component. But would you never develop it if you never ate sugar? Or say, ate a ketogenic diet all your life? If you overload on carbs all the time, supposedly your pancreas gets fatigued, overworked because of the high insulin demand. In that case, yes, sugar is “causing” your type 2. I have no idea if that has been proven or disproven either.

Thanks for the Rush(ie). :)

Back in the 70’s my Grandpa mentioned some type of operation to cut down on peeing to much. It was a procedure used at the time, sounded fairly ‘invasive’, just with the cliff notes. All I remember is he said it was painful and of little help.

For that experience alone, I just put up with common solutions, Gatorade bottle, slight reduction of intake and the fuel stops. Look at the bright side, if you gotta go a bunch, you should never run out of fuel.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back