OSH 2021

is it basically 1st come 1st served or do you book a specific location or you land and they tell you where to park or what
You land and put a sign in your window with where you want to be, such as HBC for homebuilt camping or GAP for general aviation parking. Flaggers and people on minibikes guide you to the first available spot in that category. GAP and GAC could be N40 or S40.

I asked in another thread about how people go flying and come back to the same campsite. I also talked to a friend who got parked close to another friend there, by popping his canopy and asking by row number when he got held up on the long, long taxi.

Idk how it works in GAC but in Vintage and HBC they tend to have a trend of how they park planes. They try to save rows closest to the hard surface for airplanes with retracts. They then make an effort to park similar aircraft types together. In Vintage they try to do the same and have a good idea how many of a certain type typically show up and keep those spaces open.

as for taxing past empty spots, it could simply be they want to minimize maneuvering around already set up camp sites or reduce the risk of bumping the two neighboring planes while pulling into your spot.

Are bicycles allowed for getting around? How about things like a one wheel?
They are up until Sunday evening before the show. After that you have to be famous, youtuber, or have a not so convincing limp to use wheeled transportation.

I found out after the fact that I went up too early. They allowed it this year but I wouldn’t bet on it in the future. I’m going to call next year before going.
After you set up but before you flew out, were there already planes parked either side of you? I’m wondering about getting back in when you leave and then come back. Is that a hassle?

What about those skate shoes they (used to?) make?

Yup. Call and tell them you are flying up in your 310 and Jamie (whose nickname is Bryan) will be flying up in her Grumman.

I bet I'd have knocked off 10 miles walking overall if I had been on the south side of 27.

I need a better plan.
Nickname your Grumman “Tomcat” and park in Warbird.
Buy a Navion. That would fit your mission. Or a P149.

In Vintage we're roughly first come/first served except you're allowed to stake out (and pay) for a spot and a lot of the ones north (and behind the hangar cafe) are marked out well in advance. The first few rows south of the comm center are reserved for some special exhibits and past grand champions. Then we have a few rows for heavy twins (Beech 18's and Electras) and then it's a free for all until you get to the amphib rows. There's a small area south of aircraft repair that's held open until Monday morning for certain prearranged type clubs.

We hit the end of our parking capacity over the weekend and sent people to the South 40. By Monday there were departures that we started backfilling.

Good outside the show grounds. There's a huge bicycle parking area outside the gates. Otherwise it's buses and trams.

Yeah, I came in Saturday and was out by the Super 8. Is what it is. Walking is good for you.

I was at the Super 8, would stay in that area again, but would prefer to have an ebike with me. Getting back on the shuttles in the afternoons was hard because there weren't enough of them.

I was at the Super 8, would stay in that area again, but would prefer to have an ebike with me. Getting back on the shuttles in the afternoons was hard because there weren't enough of them.

Worst time/place was after the twilight STOL competition. The whole "midwest nice" thing started to break down for the crowd after an hour at the tram stop watching full busses pull up and depart without anyone getting on or off.

Lime or Spin should bring in a few thousand scooters ... they would make a mint.

It was a looooong walk. Looking into folding bikes for next year.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Worst time/place was after the twilight STOL competition. The whole "midwest nice" thing started to break down for the crowd after an hour at the tram stop watching full busses pull up and depart without anyone getting on or off.

Lime or Spin should bring in a few thousand scooters ... they would make a mint.
Yes, the outbound North 40 bus stop was maddening as hell - line stretched into the Warbirds

Why didn't you buy one this year?

I actually hadn't given it much thought. I got in early on Sunday so I sort of assumed I would be in a better place.
They put me in the nosebleeds for no rhyme or reason.

I took more mental notes this year and will change some variables next time.

They allow bikes on the grounds?

College-Students-Pedal-Party-Bike.jpg

Yes, just not in the exhibit and main pedestrian areas
Actually, they're not allowed inside the show (where you have to have a wristabnd). WIthin Scholler and the North 40 is OK. Vintage and the rest of the show is right out.

Actually, they're not allowed inside the show (where you have to have a wristabnd). WIthin Scholler and the North 40 is OK. Vintage and the rest of the show is right out.
I think I read that South 40 was also okay. Of course, it's in northern Illinois so the rules might be different down there.

You land and put a sign in your window with where you want to be, such as HBC for homebuilt camping or GAP for general aviation parking. Flaggers and people on minibikes guide you to the first available spot in that category. GAP and GAC could be N40 or S40.

I asked in another thread about how people go flying and come back to the same campsite. I also talked to a friend who got parked close to another friend there, by popping his canopy and asking by row number when he got held up on the long, long taxi.
So how does it work? You leave and come back. You are "...GAC could be N40 or S40..." but you need to get to a particular spot. They wave you to S40 but you need to get to N40. You don't have a pop top.

Bikes and other conveyances (other than a horde of people on mobility scooters, golf carts, etc) are allowed inside the fence until the official show start on Monday. After that, they are not allowed inside the fence. So you can chain one to the fence at Friar Tucks, for instance, then zip over to SOS Bros or to the fence outside the South 40, but you're basically limited to cruising around the perimeter of the show.

Man, you're not kidding. After the Monday night "Twilight Fun Fest" a bunch of us waited 30 minutes for a bus back to the center of the grounds. When one finally showed up they said they were only going back and forth to the South 40. After about another 15 minutes of no buses, a group of us started walking with the idea we could catch a bus if one came by.

Well, nothing came by and we ended walking all the way to the bus park to (barely) catch a bus to the Gray lot, where our car was parked. Sheesh, that was a long way (especially after having spent all day walking around). It was eerie walking around with nobody else around...

Maybe it's just me, but it seemed they didn't have their act together with the transportation options (or maybe it was just because we were there from Sat-Tues and they hadn't figured things out yet?

Man, you're not kidding. After the Monday night "Twilight Fun Fest" a bunch of us waited 30 minutes for a bus back to the center of the grounds. When one finally showed up they said they were only going back and forth to the South 40. After about another 15 minutes of no buses, a group of us started walking with the idea we could catch a bus if one came by.

Well, nothing came by and we ended walking all the way to the bus park to (barely) catch a bus to the Gray lot, where our car was parked. Sheesh, that was a long way (especially after having spent all day walking around). It was eerie walking around with nobody else around...

Maybe it's just me, but it seemed they didn't have their act together with the transportation options (or maybe it was just because we were there from Sat-Tues and they hadn't figured things out yet?
It was still a cluster after the Fri night show. The tram/ bus system could use some work.

I talked to one of the Tram mini MFWIC’s. He allowed as how the “Powers That Be” had contracted with an unnamed college to study how to “more efficiently” deploy the trams. The consensus of the actual Tram Drivers and Conductors was the study was FUBAR.

I still had a great time.

Cheers

Bikes and other conveyances (other than a horde of people on mobility scooters, golf carts, etc) are allowed inside the fence until the official show start on Monday. After that, they are not allowed inside the fence. So you can chain one to the fence at Friar Tucks, for instance, then zip over to SOS Bros or to the fence outside the South 40, but you're basically limited to cruising around the perimeter of the show.
EAA security actually got kind of angry with me on Sunday with my bike. They let me in from the N40 and then when I got to the exhibit areas on my way to vintage, one of the guys got all upset and told me I must have snuck the bike in and that now I have to walk it to where I’m going. Apparently his memo said Saturday was the last day bikes were allowed.

I talked to one of the Tram mini MFWIC’s. He allowed as how the “Powers That Be” had contracted with an unnamed college to study how to “more efficiently” deploy the trams. The consensus of the actual Tram Drivers and Conductors was the study was FUBAR.

I still had a great time.

Cheers
They weren’t shy - it was Northwestern. You still got to gets the equipment and volunteers, and they probably didn’t pressure test the plan with whatever the turn out they actually had this year. It’s the one big gap I think they have with the volunteers is that I haven’t seen them flow from quiet areas to problem areas. You are trained on the flight line - no way to cover at trams. And well, you can never have enough volunteers.

EAA security actually got kind of angry with me on Sunday with my bike. They let me in from the N40 and then when I got to the exhibit areas on my way to vintage, one of the guys got all upset and told me I must have snuck the bike in and that now I have to walk it to where I’m going. Apparently his memo said Saturday was the last day bikes were allowed.

They were probably right. I know bikes are not allowed inside the fence during the official days of the show, which may have expanded to Sunday...

They weren’t shy - it was Northwestern.

I took the EAA/Northwestern survey that led to revamping the tram routes. As I commented on the EAA board at the time, the questions didn't do a great job of dealing with the realities of the show, like the tens of thousands of folks who flew in and camped with their aircraft. All of the questions pertained to which parking lot you parked your car in, and where you went on the grounds from there. No consideration to people who were "inside the fence" for most or all of the week. There were several other obvious omissions in their survey, but I don't remember specifics at this point.

The ghost of our campsite in the North 40, circled. Taken today.

Brigadoon, indeed.
d719b41a0cceaeefee4511a595bc3b46.jpg

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Neat picture! We were at row 509 (you were 504), so I can see where my tent was by doing some counting. We arrived at 4 pm on Thursday before the show for those who want to get a feel for where you get parked if you arrive then. As I remember, it filled up pretty quickly on Saturday.

Back