3rd class medical question

addison

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
addie
Hello, I have my medical exam tomorrow and think I will most likely be deferred.

Background
I used one of those online doctors one year ago to be prescribed prozac. The "doctor" and I chatted for probably 5 minutes before being diagnosed. I only ever filled the prescription once.

What documents do I need to bring with me to my exam to speed up the process? Something about I need to send documents to someone in OKC? any help or insight appreciated.

also, did i make a mistake in how i reported this on my medxpress? i feel so dumb. I checked yes for the mental health box and then in the explanation said i took prozac one year ago for a month.

Cancel your appointment with the AME unless he/she agrees in advance to do a consultation not an exam. If he agrees then go do the consult but DO NOT sign the Med Express form which activates it and which the AME must turn in to the FAA Med folk. The AME should lay out a path for you to get this bad information behind you, leading to your med cert.

Report back what happens!

-Skip

Just to add, some folks report that the AME’s nurses require you sign the forms before you see the AME. Don’t do it. Get up and walk out if you must. Really!

-Skip

Cancel your appointment with the AME unless he/she agrees in advance to do a consultation not an exam. If he agrees then go do the consult but DO NOT sign the Med Express form which activates it and which the AME must turn in to the FAA Med folk. The AME should lay out a path for you to get this bad information behind you, leading to your med cert.

Report back what happens!

-Skip
This just stinks. I already submitted my medxpress because I didn't realize how big of a deal this would be. should I continue with my AME visit?

This just stinks. I already submitted my medxpress because I didn't realize how big of a deal this would be. should I continue with my AME visit?
Don't give them the number on the Medxpress form. Just tear it off. Once he enters that, it's set in stone. Instead, tell him you want a consultation first. If he never opens your Medxpress form, it will time out and disappear. In the meantime, you can get your ducks in a row.

Don't give them the number on the Medxpress form. Just tear it off. Once he enters that, it's set in stone. Instead, tell him you want a consultation first. If he never opens your Medxpress form, it will time out and disappear. In the meantime, you can get your ducks in a row.
im sorry for the somewhat dumb reply but what exactly should I do and say to him? my application will disappear? how long would that take? and is there anything I should leave out when talking to him?

If by "already submitted my medexpress" you mean you have signed the form and given/sent it to your AME, I am afraid your path to a medical has been lengthened by a lot. In your situation, I would proceed with the AME visit, level with him, and get his advice as to how to proceed in anticipation of a deferral or denial by the FAA Medicos...

Sorry you went forward with a "shoot first, then aim" approach. I think your CFI should have given you better advice here. Oh well, onward and hopefully, upward.

-Skip

what exactly should I do and say to him?
"Doctor, I want to just talk with you about my application -- a consult -- before actually making this exam 'go live'.
The confirmation number from MedXpress... yes, I have one, but I tore it off and I don't want you to actually activate it from your end yet.
I want to make sure first, that you have everything you need for a successful application. Find out what it'll entail, because of my history.
I understand that this may mean that we meet twice (and I'll have to pay for two visits), but that's OK, it'll be worth it."

my application will disappear? how long would that take?
If no one activates the confirmation number, I think it evaporates in something like 30 days or 60 days... (someone who knows can chime in)

and is there anything I should leave out when talking to him?
No. Leave nothing out.

Good luck, Addison. My guess is you will be able to get a Class III, but will have to jump through a lot of hoops. Since you posted yesterday, you probably have you visit today. Please let everyone know how it went. It may help someone esle.

Good luck, Addison. My guess is you will be able to get a Class III, but will have to jump through a lot of hoops. Since you posted yesterday, you probably have you visit today. Please let everyone know how it went. It may help someone esle.
hey! i called my AME and asked for a consultation first which we did over the phone. He told me to go to my primary care physician and request a note saying my symptoms i initially experienced were gone. Luckily I could schedule an appt today and my physician cleared me. Now I have my AME appt on Thursday, and he said he would pass me if I had this note. However, the FAA might eventually want more information. I feel lucky and still nervous!

that you sought out help and was Rx prozac will be investigated by the FAA.

Addison, please see the page at http://faamed.info on the cautions on this - SERIOUSLY.

If the AME cannot issue you in the office you should not give him the number corresponding to the online MedExpress form. If he has to defer to OKC there will be an investigatory process required which is best taken care of before entering that number.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back