Peeing solutions

A

Anonymous

Normally, I can pee every few hours. When I fly, the adrenaline sometimes makes me have to pee almost every hour. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I am flying a 172.

Little Johnny jug in the plane, or empty Gatorade bottle… simple fix

I'm going to guess you're new to flying.

If this is the case, the adrenaline hit you're getting should wear-off as flying a mighty 172 normalizes in your brain.

Until/if you reach this point, the gatorade bottle or other solutions are there for you.

If the Gatorade bottle is too crude, google TravelJohn (or TravelJane).

Ah but anonymous didn’t say what their gender is. A Gatorade bottle may not work very well! :)

They're absolutely sexist. Have you ever looked closely at the shape of a gatorade bottle?

Wider mouth bottles are better...forget about a soda bottle, even a gatorade bottle is tight. I save peanut jars. Not sure what else.

I talked to one guy at oshkosh that said he had a relief tube installed. He also has an 8 hour range, so he had to have something. Just don't fly over me...

Get inspiration from the astronauts:
Incontinence underwear may work if flow rate is not too great, and is available for both genders.

Unrelated but interesting story.

A San Diego-area BMW enthusiast had a goal: ride coast-to-coast on a BMW K1200LT without setting a foot down.
put himself on a liquid diet for a period of time.
Installed a catheter and associated "hardware/software?"
Installed aux fuel for the K12.

Left the Pacific, got on the 8 Fwy, everything was going well, until he was stopped in Texas for a burned-out bulb.

So much for the best-laid plans.

If you want to use a Gatorade bottle… be sure to start with any flavor except lemon lime…

I’ll leave you to figure out why.

main-qimg-906e683f395b9c06ca9f2eb78ac3a837

Burt Reynolds trip extender. Just add flask.

(from movie: Semi-Tough)

Starting to wonder if I have a medical condition.
I pee twice a day.

I had a thread on this but the search engine is junk.

The answer that I learned from that thread is: "Depends!" :happydance:

Coffee can with vermiculite or cat litter in it. Works for either sex.

Normally, I can pee every few hours. When I fly, the adrenaline sometimes makes me have to pee almost every hour. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I am flying a 172.

I've used a coke can. You just need to watch for those sharp edges :eek:. Not recommended in moderate turbulence.

When I fly, the adrenaline sometimes makes me have to pee almost every hour.
Weird, when my adrenaline gets going I lose the urge to pee. Also happens when I get focused like if I'm concentrating on something at work or if I'm on an IFR flight. If I put my mind to it I can outlast a 182. With LR tanks. At economy cruise settings.

Avoid things with caffeine in them before flying- soda, coffee, tea. Preferably drink only water and sparingly, use the bathroom before you go.

I just can't do it in the plane- I don't know if it's the sitting position or fear of spilling or pee shyness or what but I just can't. I just do the above and try to keep legs to around 3 hours.

Google "Texas catheter" , it is basically a condom, with glue on the inside, that has a plastic tip for pushing a piece of hose on. Then run that to a collection bag. I learned to use these scuba diving in a dry suit (with a P valve) and they have come in handy on long cross country motorcycle rides. Plenty of medical device sellers on Amazon. You just need to know the diameter of your...ahem, apparatus in its relaxed state to buy the correct size external catheters.

I've used a coke can. You just need to watch for those sharp edges :eek:. Not recommended in moderate turbulence.

holy @#$% I think I'd rather "paint the inside of the plane yellow" than even attempt a coke can. my goodness.

Ok, story time, it’s been a while...

So there I was... flying another squadrons S-3 from San Diego to Pax River. They wanted to go nonstop. SEVEN hours, no drop tanks, max endurance... like 160 indicated. MISERABLE.

I gotta pee. Whip out the piddlepack I’ve been carrying since flight school. Wearing an integrated harness in a ejection seat... little guy just ain’t quite up to the task and I pretty much pee all over everything... AND THEN when I hold up the thing to seal the top, it leaks like a plant waterer! OMG

Quick like a bunny rabbit I whip out the barf bag I’ve been carrying since flight school. Double bag it all up, pretty well embarrassed by the whole affair I apologize for peeing everywhere in their jet. “No worries, we have civilian maintenance!”

BWAHAHAHA!!! I’d have peed myself again, but unlike a dog, I didn’t save any...

@Tools, when were you flying S-3s? Great airplanes! I had a friend who was in the first operational squadron way back when. I learned more from him in 10 hours of MEL training than any other ten hours of flying.

Hmmm... 91 to 97? VS-35, west coast, CAG-14. S-3B, not much different than S-3A, armament control, EW stuff and better tanking capabilities.

Actually pretty good birds to fly. Fairly exclusive...

Thanks for the helpful and sometimes hilarious responses. I am a guy and was thinking about having to do a biennial or an IPC. Do I keep each flight to under an hour? I don’t know how I would explain a Gatorade bottle to an instructor, and what if he’s a she? It is funny but still a tough place now that I am older….anyone have any ideas about this?

Ok, story time, it’s been a while...

So there I was... flying another squadrons S-3 from San Diego to Pax River. They wanted to go nonstop. SEVEN hours, no drop tanks, max endurance... like 160 indicated. MISERABLE.

I gotta pee. Whip out the piddlepack I’ve been carrying since flight school. Wearing an integrated harness in a ejection seat... little guy just ain’t quite up to the task and I pretty much pee all over everything... AND THEN when I hold up the thing to seal the top, it leaks like a plant waterer! OMG

Quick like a bunny rabbit I whip out the barf bag I’ve been carrying since flight school. Double bag it all up, pretty well embarrassed by the whole affair I apologize for peeing everywhere in their jet. “No worries, we have civilian maintenance!”

BWAHAHAHA!!! I’d have peed myself again, but unlike a dog, I didn’t save any...

That was a funny story.

I don’t know how I would explain a Gatorade bottle to an instructor, and what if he’s a she?

Just be honest. *Before* the flight!
How he or she reacts will tell you everything you need to know about whether they are the right CFI for your mission.

Personally, I would say "Thank you for the heads-up, and just let me know when you need me to look away."

Actually, an instructor, if you advise him of the issue, might want you to demonstrate that you can execute the procedure while maintaining control of the aircraft.

External catheter with an overboard discharge might be your best option.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back