OSH Pics

If only there was a way for moderators to fix things like this.....

Nice picture. Professionally shot? ;)

There's been discussion for years that the show has been taken over by commercial / military / warbirds. Going through that picture album is pretty good evidence that it's true.

That holds true for the Airshow, but not the convention in general. This year there were precious few non-military acts. Some of that was due to the weather issues. The Vintage in review got rained out, for instance.

The military is just getting back to being allowed to attend events like this. I was talking to Margy's successor at the Smithsonian and they were happy to finally get some military stuff. Still, the economic downturn means some things aren't coming (no United jet, for example).

There's been discussion for years that the show has been taken over by commercial / military / warbirds. Going through that picture album is pretty good evidence that it's true.
There are a lot of them but I get it, the general public is more interested in those types than all the personal planes. The Warbird area is pretty much the only area I never visit throughout the week. I feel like if you’ve seen it once you’ve seen it a thousand times. My only gripe is when they throttle arrivals to allow Military show off sessions. Save that for the airshow and let the airplanes that are supporting your organization in.

I like the military action. The U2 was awesome. The aerobatic displays were great. And the old warbirds were awesome. I would get bored watching everyday GA aircraft fly pretty quickly.

There are a lot of them but I get it, the general public is more interested in those types than all the personal planes. The Warbird area is pretty much the only area I never visit throughout the week. I feel like if you’ve seen it once you’ve seen it a thousand times.
I feel the same way about watching numerous (insert generic Extra/Edge/MXS/Pitts) flip and flop and make prop noise. But I do love the smoother more graceful acts (thinking Aeroshell team, Matt Younkin, twin Yak, Bonanza, things like that).

That said I'm not one to talk, I wasn't even there. Maybe next year.

I feel the same way about watching numerous (insert generic Extra/Edge/MXS/Pitts) flip and flop and make prop noise. But I do love the smoother more graceful acts (thinking Aeroshell team, Matt Younkin, twin Yak, Bonanza, things like that).

That said I'm not one to talk, I wasn't even there. Maybe next year.
Agreed, I've lost pretty much all interest in the airshow. Between the annoying announcer, WWII plane parade that seems to last for an hour, and monoplane routines that are all the same, it only offers a good time to nap in the shade for me.

I enjoy the more unique routines like the AG Cat, Beach 18, the Baron routine, Sammy Mason's Pitts display, the Kitfox Speedster routine, and the screaming sasquatch. The only high energy routines I liked were Sean Tucker and Skip Stewart.

U2 was very very cool. Looked like a two seater so trainer model. Doubt there's many of those.

Back