Cessna 182 Door Mounted window replacement

Johnbo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Johnbo
I’m thinking of replacing the passenger door window on my 182 with one that has a camera port so that it can be flown open in the summer for better ventilation. Looking at the door, it seems like a LOT of rivets are going to have to be drilled, replaced, then paint touched up.

Is that the case and if so, how many man hours does it typically take?

thx.

First, read the service manual, I doubt there are any rivets that need to be drilled. Second, is there a window with a camera port stc’ed for your plane?

First, read the service manual, I doubt there are any rivets that need to be drilled. Second, is there a window with a camera port stc’ed for your plane?

First, I did. It says drill rivets as needed but doesn’t say how extensive the job is.

Second, yes. Great Lakes Aero Products makes them and has the STC.

I am co-owner of a 1975 182P with the camera port opening on the right door window.

It does nothing to help with improving summer ventilation.

You are better off installing the Precise Flow air vent kit

86A2EB85-CA46-43FE-87F1-68E4B97413ED.jpeg

We did and they are a HUGE improvement over the original orange juice can vents. Even at slow speeds.

I am co-owner of a 1975 182P with the camera port opening on the right door window.

View attachment 98884

We did and they are a HUGE improvement over the original orange juice can vents. Even at slow speeds.

thx! Are those for the front or rear vents?

View attachment 98884

View attachment 98884

I agree...you can also build your own for 300 bucks using PVC fittings and aluminium eye ball vents from Aircraft Spruce. The dang vents are expensive but are very good quality.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/airVentEyeBall1.php?clickkey=3015643
IMG_9319.JPG

003_25.jpg

I’m thinking of replacing the passenger door window on my 182 with one that has a camera port so that it can be flown open in the summer for better ventilation. Looking at the door, it seems like a LOT of rivets are going to have to be drilled, replaced, then paint touched up.

Is that the case and if so, how many man hours does it typically take?

thx.
I also recently replaced the air duct hoses for the rear passengers in my plane. They were 40 year old and lined full of mud and blocked with mud daubers nest. They were nasty and broken. Make sure yours are open and I think that will help.
IMG_0573(2).JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

Doesn’t the passenger side window open? My 180’s windows open on both sides and can be flown when open up to 120 mph.

I used Soros Ventubes in my forward vents. Simple and effective. For you warm climate guys you may need to add the aft cabin exhaust port kit.

Back