OSH 2021

There was not a TORNADO *anything* issued for Oshkosh, just a severe thunderstorm warning.
In that case, we were told a fib. Whoever had control of the PA system at the museum last night unequivocally announced that there was a tornado warning.

I think the warning was in the area of Omro?

We were also warned of winds gusting to 100 kts and that didn’t happen either.

We decided to leave about 5 on Wednesday instead of Thursday. We were in a tent and had planned on taking it down to make sure it doesn't get damaged/becomes damaging to others. If it wasn't going to come through so late we likely would have stayed but didn't want to mess with putting a tent up at midnight after potentially having just received a bunch of rain and two kids that have some PTSD from the derecho last year.

All in all we made the right decision as Osh got very lucky. A camper is on our plan for next year though so we don't have to be quite as concerned with the weather.

Was a Tornado Watch issued, or a Tornado Warning?

There was not a TORNADO *anything* issued for Oshkosh, just a severe thunderstorm warning.

In that case, we were told a fib. Whoever had control of the PA system at the museum last night unequivocally announced that there was a tornado warning.

There was a tornado warning for southwestern Winnebago count (same county as Oshkosh, different part of the county) but when it's the same county, the alert goes to everyone's phones.

I had absolutely no trouble getting a room at the Hilton... ...when I was there for a basic metal work class in January last year. ;)

During show week I think its nearly impossible to get a room there. And if you do find an available room there, expect it to cost a lot more than I paid in January. $600/night wouldn't surprise me.

There are other options though. Lots of locals rent rooms or their whole house for the week. I believe EAA also has access to dorm rooms that are nearby and runs shuttle busses for those.

the ****hole Super 8 was $320/night with tax

the ****hole Super 8 was $320/night with tax
Got the Fairfield Inn in Fond du Lac late last year for $95 a night. Super nice place, brand new, highly recommend for anyone looking for next year.

Is it possible to even get a room at the HIlton if you plan ahead or is that a who you know type of deal ?

I'd like to go someday, but camping aint for this cat....
I looked at the HGI on Sunday morning, and found a room for Monday and Tuesday nights for only 60k points/night - so did a last minute trip!

interesting

upload_2021-8-1_18-21-56.png

and it must be true, I saw it on youtube.

you sure there wasn't a "TORNADO *anything*" ? cause that sure looks kinda similar to a tornado *something*.......

The winds knocked a tree into a barn to the west of Oshkosh. I talked to the guy. He was not happy, but no one was hurt.

https://www.weather.gov/grb/072821_severe_event

Edit: From the report:

Widespread 80 to 90 mph straight-line wind damage was analyzed in Omro and surrounding locations to the southwest of Omro. Hundreds of large trees were snapped or uprooted. Multiple power poles were snapped and sporadic shingles were ripped off of roofs. This damage was only about 8 miles to the southwest of EAA AirVenture event center!

I watched hours of arrivals, departures, and airshow performance on YouTube, really makes me want to fly-in and camp, even for just one day.

I can't get around on my feet much, I've only been to Airventure once with my dad since my feet amputations. (I have been there twice with all the body parts I was born with) We drove there and stayed with family. I hurt so bad and the skin grafts on my feet were so trashed I swore I'd never go back but maybe I will, just with a specific goal rather than wondering all over and trashing my feet in the process.

I need a gas powered bar stool with mud go-kart tires to get around. Electric would be awesome too but endurance and recharging seem an issue. Golf cart be the best.

A ride hailing app would be killer too.

Last edited:
I watched hours of arrivals, departures, and airshow performance on YouTube, really makes me want to fly-in and camp, even for just one day.

I can't get around on my feet much, I've only been to Airventure once with my dad since my feet amputations. (I have been there twice with all the body parts I was born with) We drove there and stayed with family. I hurt so bad and the skin grafts on my feet were so trashed I swore I'd never go back but maybe I will, just with a specific goal rather than wondering all over and trashing my feet in the process.

I need a gas powered bar stool with mud go-kart tires to get around. Electric would be awesome too but endurance and recharging seem an issue.
There were hundreds of people on the mobility scooters that they rent on the field. You’d be fine

There were hundreds of people on the mobility scooters that they rent on the field. You’d be fine

We have rented them, last time I was there, and it sucked. I wouldn't do that again.

The weather reports became more and more apocalyptic. Reminded me of this:

The storm was pretty intense, and I heard that had some real damage in Ripon. Back at the North 40 it didn't even blow down any tents.

The weather reports were all over the place.
by 8:00 AM people were warning of 100 mph winds, tornados, hail, etc but there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

They shut the show down that evening and as early as noon, people were scrambling to find hangars or head home.
Late that night the lightning got really intense and we left SOS to go back to our tents and die like men.

At 11:38 PM, I got a tornado warning alert on my phone.

I had dinner with a meteorologist that evening and he stated that this was all over blown. He gave me his prediction which seemed to be pretty accurate however then the alert came in, I got a little nervous.

The weather reports were all over the place.
by 8:00 AM people were warning of 100 mph winds, tornados, hail, etc but there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

They shut the show down that evening and as early as noon, people were scrambling to find hangars or head home.
Late that night the lightning got really intense and we left SOS to go back to our tents and die like men.

At 11:38 PM, I got a tornado warning alert on my phone.

I had dinner with a meteorologist that evening and he stated that this was all over blown. He gave me his prediction which seemed to be pretty accurate however then the alert came in, I got a little nervous.
I slept right through it and never heard a thing.

I turned off those alerts on my phone and my handheld air and radio. Too many instances of abusing them to issue silver alerts from distant places made them a boy who cried wolf situation.

I was bummed that they had to cancel the night airshow on Wednesday because we had to leave Thursday.. oh well, hopefully next year. Through work we had a free house available to us but it was up closer to Green Bay which was a bit of a hike but hey, it was free! And GRB had hangar (we booked about a month in advance) which was awesome.

I absolutely 100$ do not recommend ever renting a Tesla. Ever. What at terrible vehicle but its shortcomings are even more apparent when driving 30 miles each way and not having a Tesla specific plug thing in where you're staying.

That was a lot of fun. Can't wait to do it again.
I just need a better camping spot.

That was a lot of fun. Can't wait to do it again.
I just need a better camping spot.

Just an observation but the dorm I stayed in at Greunhaugen has a lounge on each floor that holds about 20 or so people. The more modern dorm where I stayed a couple of years ago has an even larger lounge.

Cheers

We're only 2 hours away... Teresa told me next year I should go up the Wednesday before and stake a claim like @Radar Contact did.

I also think I might also invest in an air mattress. The thermarest is pretty good, but the older I get the further my body seems to want to be off the ground.

It would be a shorter walk.

Yep, I was in South 40, about 200 yards from the last row of planes. I walked on Monday night to visit my buddy in a similar position in the North 40. Took me an hour and a half to get there. Fortunately some Aircraft Spruce employees out joyriding in golf carts picked me up on the side of the road and gave me a ride back. It is a huge party for them.

We're only 2 hours away... Teresa told me next year I should go up the Wednesday before and stake a claim like @Radar Contact did.

I also think I might also invest in an air mattress. The thermarest is pretty good, but the older I get the further my body seems to want to be off the ground.

My %$#@#% thermarest sprung a leak. After 2 very uncomfortable nights, I improvised a plug with RTV gasket maker.

My thermarest is 20 years old, still works. I supplemented it with a backpacking cot, really good combination.

Poor twin drivers were parked further away from the entrance, I think they filled to that row on Friday and Saturday is when it really picked up.

Come to find out it’s technically the Thursday before. Just FYI in case you get all the way up there and get turned away.

Come to find out it’s technically the Thursday before. Just FYI in case you get all the way up there and get turned away.
You were there Monday, right? Did you get an exception because your plane is so pretty?

You were there Monday, right? Did you get an exception because your plane is so pretty?
I found out after the fact that I went up too early. They allowed it this year but I wouldn’t bet on it in the future. I’m going to call next year before going.

I found out after the fact that I went up too early. They allowed it this year but I wouldn’t bet on it in the future. I’m going to call next year before going.

Yup. Call and tell them you are flying up in your 310 and Jamie (whose nickname is Bryan) will be flying up in her Grumman.

I bet I'd have knocked off 10 miles walking overall if I had been on the south side of 27.

I need a better plan.

The only way to win is not to play. :)

is it basically 1st come 1st served or do you book a specific location or you land and they tell you where to park or what

Yup. Call and tell them you are flying up in your 310 and Jamie (whose nickname is Bryan) will be flying up in her Grumman.

I bet I'd have knocked off 10 miles walking overall if I had been on the south side of 27.

I need a better plan.
Nickname your Grumman “Tomcat” and park in Warbird.

Yeah, I came in Saturday and was out by the Super 8. Is what it is. Walking is good for you.

Back