The stars are never going to line up

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
So I decided I’d better get my PPL now, while I can still get insurance. (I just turned 67).

I’ve started lessons a couple times before but didn’t even get to solo before my priorities changed. It’s now, “Now, or never” time.

I’ve flown a fair number of aircraft, and I prefer the Evektor Sportstar over the rest.

It has more room, better response, and lower operating costs than the venerable Skyhawks.

AeroDynamic Aviation at KRHV has one available for flight training and I’ve flown it, albeit years ago.

The FBO has a lot of instructors, but only two that teach in the Sportstar. They are both Light Sport instructors, so I’m guessing they can only take me to Light Sport Pilot. I plan to call to find out more.

I’m under the impression I can do my LSP (Light Sport Pilot) to PPL standards, then do the rest of the PPL in a Certified plane, such as a Skyhawks. With the difference in OpEx between light sport and certified, I think the overall expense would be less doing LSP first.

What say the POA crowd?

Thanks

Actually, I think you can do your PPL in a light sport, except for parts of the training that it isn’t equipped for (like, possibly, night.)

Flyingmag.com has an article about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can go all the way to PPL in an LSA. That’s what I did.

BUT, there weren’t many DPEs who could (or would) do a PPL checkride in a light sport. I only had one guy available to me and it was a long queue for his availability.

Make sure you can get a DPE in addition to an instructor.

BTW, in order for your training from a Sport CFI to count toward PPL, you will need to do the SP checkride and get the Sport pilot certificate.

But that’s a good thing. Lock down the Sport ticket and even if you never complete the Private, you’ll still be a certified pilot and legal to fly LSAs.

While it's true you can train for Private Pilot in an LSA, the issue in this case is that according to the OP, the only instructors that teach in the LSAs at that school are CFI-SP (Sport-Pilot-only CFIs). And a CFI-SP cannot endorse someone for their Private Pilot checkride.

While it's true you can train for Private Pilot in an LSA, the issue in this case is that according to the OP, the only instructors that teach in the LSAs at that school are CFI-SP (Sport-Pilot-only CFIs). And a CFI-SP cannot endorse someone for their Private Pilot checkride.

See 61.109(l).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.109

He can count all the training he receives from a SP CFI toward Private if and only if he actually gets a SP certificate. Of course, the night training will have to come from a regular CFI, as well as the PPL checkride prep and the PPL endorsement.

I’d bet he could get one of the regular CFIs to do that little bit for him.

I did it exactly that way, so I know it works.

See 61.109(l).

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.109

He can count all the training he receives from a SP CFI toward Private if and only if he actually gets a SP certificate. Of course, the night training will have to come from a regular CFI, as well as the PPL checkride prep and the PPL endorsement.

I’d bet he could get one of the regular CFIs to do that little bit for him.

I did it exactly that way, so I know it works.

No argument there, but what I'm getting at is if what the OP says is true, then he CANNOT complete the Private in the LSA, simply because for whatever reason there are no "regular" CFIs that teach in the LSA available.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your information. I don’t have a problem doing my check ride in a certified plane. Nor, the extra time for transition training.

BTW, I have a 3rd class medical from 2007 so I qualify for Basic Med. I’ll do a consultation before I do the Basic Med, even though I’m in great shape.

Why a “consultation?” There’s no such thing as failing a Basic Med exam, and nothing about your medical condition gos to the FAA.

In any case, you can wait for it until you’ve passed the SP checkride.

I see zero roadblocks to a PPL except funds. Maybe apply for some of various scholarships out there. As with most things related to flying, the more often you can fly in training the better off you will be.

Why a “consultation?” There’s no such thing as failing a Basic Med exam, and nothing about your medical condition gos to the FAA.

In any case, you can wait for it until you’ve passed the SP checkride.
Thanks good to know.

I see zero roadblocks to a PPL except funds. Maybe apply for some of various scholarships out there. As with most things related to flying, the more often you can fly in training the better off you will be.
Agree, completely

Another question for the POS Brain Trust. I have a lot of PPL knowledge exam preparation books, and no Sport Pilot exam preparation books. I figure I’ll have to know it all, anyway, to get my PPL, so should I just prepare like I would for the PPL exam?

I know aerodynamics and navigation will be the same, etc. What are the differences I need to know about?

I know about max Takeoff Weight, max sea level speed, max and dirty stall speeds, Day only VFR, etc.

Thanks

Another question for the POS Brain Trust. I have a lot of PPL knowledge exam preparation books, and no Sport Pilot exam preparation books. I figure I’ll have to know it all, anyway, to get my PPL, so should I just prepare like I would for the PPL exam?

I know aerodynamics and navigation will be the same, etc. What are the differences I need to know about?

I know about max Takeoff Weight, max sea level speed, max and dirty stall speeds, Day only VFR, etc.

Thanks

Different wx minimums
No Special VFR
Industry consensus vs FAA certification
Owner maintenance

The ASA study guide I used had the test questions categorized by type of certificate. If you look at that and see which ones are for SP but not PP, and vice versa, you'll get a good idea of the differences.

It's been a couple of years, but I did my sport first, too. At that time, sport required signoff for class C and B I believe, and for each of the two performance categories of sport. In addition to the above, I think there's something else in there, too. Suggest looking at the part 91 sections for sport. Dauntless sells a sport pilot training course for the written. I used that for it, and the separate one for private later. Funny thing - after I passed my private checkride, I got a nice letter from the aopa congratulating my becoming a pilot. Wanted to send them back a note saying "you mean I've been flying the past couple of years without being a pilot?"

Funny thing - after I passed my private checkride, I got a nice letter from the aopa congratulating my becoming a pilot. Wanted to send them back a note saying "you mean I've been flying the past couple of years without being a pilot?"

Same here. Sometimes the AOPA acts like SPs don’t exist.

It's been a couple of years, but I did my sport first, too. At that time, sport required signoff for class C and B I believe, and for each of the two performance categories of sport. In addition to the above, I think there's something else in there, too. Suggest looking at the part 91 sections for sport. Dauntless sells a sport pilot training course for the written. I used that for it, and the separate one for private later. Funny thing - after I passed my private checkride, I got a nice letter from the aopa congratulating my becoming a pilot. Wanted to send them back a note saying "you mean I've been flying the past couple of years without being a pilot?"
URL? Please. Thanks

https://www.dauntless-soft.com/

But I think I purchased through the google app store. It's not incredibly fancy, but they have a good explanation section for each question, usually with references to the appropriate entry in far, aim, etc. No affiliation with the company, other than buying and using the product. Currently using it for instrument written prep. A nice feature for me is that it doesn't expire, so I can be as slow as I am and still get updates.

https://www.dauntless-soft.com/

But I think I purchased through the google app store. It's not incredibly fancy, but they have a good explanation section for each question, usually with references to the appropriate entry in far, aim, etc. No affiliation with the company, other than buying and using the product. Currently using it for instrument written prep. A nice feature for me is that it doesn't expire, so I can be as slow as I am and still get updates.
Thanks

M2C - I suggest getting your PPL with the "regular" PPL instructors and Skyhawks.
  • Size does help.
    • Given the larger number of Skyhawks, one going down for maintenance won't hurt vs the only LSA going down will put you on the sidelines.
    • Given the number of PPL CFI's, if one is booked / leaves for the airlines / etc. you have a multitude of others to choose from. If the one Sport instructor is booked / sick / leaves for the airlines, you're stuck.
    • All DPE's will give a PPL check ride in a Skyhawk. Finding a DPE with an open slot to give a check ride is hard enough - finding the one that will do it in an LSA IMHO will be very hard.
  • Once you have a PPL you can fly the SportStar (or even the Skyhawk).
  • Actually, after watching a few AVweb videos, landing the Skyhawk is perhaps easier. Higher number of LSA accidents on landing, given the lighter wing loading.

Back