Fabric Coving System?

J3_Cub

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
J3_Cub_
This aircraft was last covered in the early 1980's. Is anyone familiar with which system this was completed in based on the color (Blueish-gray)? I would love to be able to reference the logbooks, but that information isn't available. Thanks in advance to the eagle-eye who knows the answer.
41NlFRg.jpg

A blue color usually indicates Ceconite, but the fabric should also be embossed with the word "Ceconite". Poly Fiber would be a pinkish gray with square stamps that say "Stits" or "Poly-Fiber".

FABRIC REPAIRS: YOU MUST KNOW WHAT'S INSTALLED | Aircraft Spruce

Not seeing either name, I'm guessing it's just fabric with some kind of unknown dope.

This aircraft was last covered in the early 1980's. Is anyone familiar with which system this was completed in based on the color (Blueish-gray)? I would love to be able to reference the logbooks, but that information isn't available. Thanks in advance to the eagle-eye who knows the answer.
41NlFRg.jpg

There was a water based system back then that was a bluesh gray color. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.

A blue color usually indicates Ceconite, but the fabric should also be embossed with the word "Ceconite". Poly Fiber would be a pinkish gray with square stamps that say "Stits" or "Poly-Fiber".
Matching the brand of fabric to the brand of coating only matters on type certificated aircraft.

There was a water based system back then that was a bluesh gray color. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.
Blue River. Absolutely terrible stuff. Bluish-gray. I looked after two airplanes that had it. On cool damp mornings the fabric would sag as the finish absorbed water and swelled. It also peeled easily. Their STC disappeared; I think it got revoked. I ended up recovering one of those airplanes after its fabric just got beyond ugly. I used Poly-Fiber.

Blue River. Absolutely terrible stuff. Bluish-gray. I looked after two airplanes that had it. On cool damp mornings the fabric would sag as the finish absorbed water and swelled. It also peeled easily. Their STC disappeared; I think it got revoked. I ended up recovering one of those airplanes after its fabric just got beyond ugly. I used Poly-Fiber.

That's it!

Yea, not a good process as I remember it. Air Tech also had a water based one as well, but I think it has disappeared.

There was Blue River, which I think became Ceconite 7600. I think the 7600 fabric was yellow, though.

Then there was Razorback, which used fiberglass fabric, dunno what color that was.

There was Blue River, which I think became Ceconite 7600. I think the 7600 fabric was yellow, though.

Then there was Razorback, which used fiberglass fabric, dunno what color that was.

Blue River was the coating, and they used Ceconite as the fabric IIRC.

Back