Trying to get a lost dog home

Roger Wyatt

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RogerW
A friend told me about a dog that was lost in Williamsburg, Va by a retired police officer. She is trying to get him home to Texas and asked me to put the word out. Anyone know of a group or can help?

I have never pointed out a stupid post until now. The comment to have the dog watch “Homeward Bound” was just plain rude and unfeeling. I knew a pilot that flew pet rescues from ‘Jersey to Louisiana frequently (he has since sold his plane and training to be a commercial pilot). Poke around at airports in your area and may stumble upon someone. Best luck reuniting the dog with the owner.

I have never pointed out a stupid post until now. The comment to have the dog watch “Homeward Bound” was just plain rude and unfeeling. I knew a pilot that flew pet rescues from ‘Jersey to Louisiana frequently (he has since sold his plane and training to be a commercial pilot). Poke around at airports in your area and may stumble upon someone. Best luck reuniting the dog with the owner.
It was a joke. If you don’t think it was funny my recommendation would be not to laugh.

Calling the poster rude made me laugh as well. Please carry on.

Methinks the woman doth protest too much.
THAT was Katamarino that you dissed. He has found his way home from parts of the world that most of us have never even heard of.

My dog watched TV all the time .... if there was a nature show with bears or lions she would go up to the screen and growl and bark to scare them off , then come sit beside me again .... if it was a dog food commercial showing a feed dish being filled she would go up to the TV , wag her tail , then look back at me as though she was telling me to buy some for her.

Sort out your sense of humour, Ron. I've flown plenty of PilotNPaws flights myself. I think the only stupid post here was yours.

However, I have thought of another couple of options for this dog:
Dogs-Might-Fly-Mark-Vette.jpg
dog-driving-dwi.jpg
TEASER-dog-train.jpg
Briard-Norman-on-Bike.jpg

Last edited:
The OP posted for some help in what he felt POA could help with and it turned into a joke thread. If the OP finds it funny than my apologies to all.

A friend told me about a dog that was lost in Williamsburg, Va by a retired police officer. She is trying to get him home to Texas and asked me to put the word out. Anyone know of a group or can help?

Has the dog been found in Williamsburg? I fly for Pilots n Paws too but they aren't in the business of finding lost dogs, only getting them from one place to another.

The OP posted for some help in what he felt POA could help with and it turned into a joke thread. If the OP finds it funny than my apologies to all.
@Katamarino did nothing to prevent anyone from helping the OPer. He made a joke. It was funny. That's what happens here on POA. Perhaps your shorts are just a little too tight. That isn't helping the poor dog either.

Last edited:
How large is the dog? It may be less expensive just to have the pet owner get a cheap round trip ticket and have the dog in the cabin as part of the carry on allowance. There could be a pet fee as well, but it could all be cheaper and less stressful than flying for 20 hours round trip in a GA aircraft.

If it was lost in VA, why is it going to Texas?

At your next medical, be sure you disclose a defective funny bone.

Could possibly meet and do the last leg. Where in Texas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How large is the dog? It may be less expensive just to have the pet owner get a cheap round trip ticket and have the dog in the cabin as part of the carry on allowance. There could be a pet fee as well, but it could all be cheaper and less stressful than flying for 20 hours round trip in a GA aircraft.

not sure, but I think around 35 pounds from looking at the picture

Has the dog been found in Williamsburg? I fly for Pilots n Paws too but they aren't in the business of finding lost dogs, only getting them from one place to another.
Yes, it's been found, just trying to get it back to it's owner

Aww c'mon... it was just a doggone joke.

Update? Did dog hitch a ride or are we still looking for help to get him to Texas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They found a pilot. His plane is in annual and they are waiting.

Excellent. Dogs deserve to be home.

I was afraid someone was going to activate the monkey relay, because who knows how old that dog would be before it got home.

Good news. Great way to combine a hobby and do a little good at same time.

Let’s link this now with some another threads. Sure to get 100 more posts - some angry, a lot quoting arcane FAA rules, AIM, etc.

• “Does the dog get to count this as PIC time as a safety pilot?
  • What is the dog’s pro rated fair share of expenses?
  • Does this pilot volunteer time count as a gift in kind and must be considered compensation for good will?”

Pretty crappy of the owner to leave their dog while on vacation and they expect others to bring the dog to them. Hop on flight, get the dog, bring it back on a flight.

Pretty crappy of the owner to leave their dog while on vacation and they expect others to bring the dog to them. Hop on flight, get the dog, bring it back on a flight.
Or at least pay for transport.

I don’t think they just left the dog because they forgot it. Or it got lost in a department store and the parents just left.

I don’t think they expect or demand any help, or even thought of GA as a possibility until someone offered. I’m sure they are thankful.

If you're not used to flying with dogs, use a kennel. Same if the dog is not used to flying.

Back