Flights for Bacon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put the kool-aid down. On a $/gram of protein eggs are as cheap or cheaper than beans and lentils. Well…at least until Prop 12 goes into effect.
I have no idea how much meat costs but Sam’s club has prices online and the web has protein numbers. I have a bunch of food from the dollar store so I know the price and protein content—beans, pasta, bread, and peanuts. A quick check shows that you are very wrong though eggs come closest.
I assume Sam’s club is on the low end for prices. Dollar store is close to store brand prices in grocery stores.

I think ¼ lb is a normal size serving of meat.

burger - Protein 4g/oz - $3.48/lb $.2175/oz 87 cents per 16 g of protein
bacon 10.3 g/oz $4.75/lb. .2969/oz. 46 cents per 16 g of protein
eggs 6.29 g each. $1.71/dz .1425 ea. 36.2 cents per 16 g of protein

beans 10 g/oz $1 per lb. .10 per oz 16.2 cents per 16 g of protein
pasta 3.5g/oz $1 per lb .0625 per oz 28.6 cents per 16 g of protein
peanuts 7g/oz $1/7.5oz .133 per oz 30.5 cents per 16 g of protein
bread 2g/oz $1 per 24/oz. .042 per oz 33.6 cents per 16 g of protein

Soy and oats probably beat out all of these on a cost per oz of protein but I don’t have prices handy.

The only correlation would be not eating as much because they can’t afford food. There is no nutritional difference between eating a free range chicken and a regular chicken.

That’s all just made up BS.
I was referring to the fact that if the price of meat goes up they will eat less and save money as well. Eating less meat results in healthier bodies and since meat is energy dense fewer calories. Losing weight would improve the health of just about everyone in America. It’s a win for everyone.

I was referring to the fact that if the price of meat goes up they will eat less and save money as well. Eating less meat results in healthier bodies and since meat is energy dense fewer calories. Losing weight would improve the health of just about everyone in America. It’s a win for everyone.
I'd rather be fat and still eat my meat. Don't want a long, miserable, baconless life.

No. It’s the government sticking their nose where it does not belong.

Edit:
The notion that it’s appropriate for the government to pass laws forcing me to change my diet because they know what’s best for me angers me. The fact that other Americans agree with this notion of nanny state makes me beyond sad. This is just ****ed up.

I doubt you're in the position of having to make food choices based on price.

Your ideas are disgusting.

Edit:
The notion that it’s appropriate for the government to pass laws forcing me to change my diet because they know what’s best for me angers me. The fact that other Americans agree with this notion of nanny state makes me beyond sad. This is just ****ed up.

I think it says more about citizen ballot initiatives and how they are able to be captured by a relative minority. Proponents of Prop 12 spent $6.01/signature to get the 365,880 required signatures to get the initiative on the ballot. HSUS formed a support committee and raised over $13mm to support the initiative. There are 26(?) states that have a similar process and those are the states being targeted by the activists. They are winning because the average consumer thinks the text of the laws sound great, but they aren't being given any idea what the actual costs are going to be.

From Ballotpedia -

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_12,_Farm_Animal_Confinement_Initiative_(2018)

Ballot title
The official ballot title was as follows:[23]

“ Establishes New Standards for Confinement of Certain Farm Animals; Bans Sale of Certain Non-Complying Products. Initiative Statute.[24]

Ballot summary

The official ballot summary was as follows:[25]

• Establishes new minimum space requirements for confining veal calves, breeding pigs, and egg-laying hens.
  • Requires egg-laying hens be raised in cage-free environment after December 31, 2021.
  • Prohibits certain commercial sales of specified meat and egg products derived from animals confined in noncomplying manner.
  • Defines sales violations as unfair competition.
  • Creates good faith defense for sellers relying upon written certification by suppliers that meat and egg products comply with new confinement standards.
  • Requires State of California to issue implementing regulations.[24]

Fiscal impact
Note: The fiscal impact statement for a California ballot initiative authorized for circulation is prepared by the state's legislative analyst and director of finance.
The fiscal impact statement was as follows:[23]

“ Potential decrease in state and local tax revenues from farm businesses, likely not to exceed the low millions of dollars annually. Potential state costs ranging up to ten million dollars annually to enforce the measure.[24]

I think it says more about citizen ballot initiatives and how they are able to be captured by a relative minority. Proponents of Prop 12 spent $6.01/signature to get the 365,880 required signatures to get the initiative on the ballot. HSUS formed a support committee and raised over $13mm to support the initiative. There are 26(?) states that have a similar process and those are the states being targeted by the activists. They are winning because the average consumer thinks the text of the laws sound great, but they aren't being given any idea what the actual costs are going to be.

From Ballotpedia -

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_12,_Farm_Animal_Confinement_Initiative_(2018)

Ballot title
The official ballot title was as follows:[23]

“ Establishes New Standards for Confinement of Certain Farm Animals; Bans Sale of Certain Non-Complying Products. Initiative Statute.[24]

Ballot summary

The official ballot summary was as follows:[25]

• Establishes new minimum space requirements for confining veal calves, breeding pigs, and egg-laying hens.
  • Requires egg-laying hens be raised in cage-free environment after December 31, 2021.
  • Prohibits certain commercial sales of specified meat and egg products derived from animals confined in noncomplying manner.
  • Defines sales violations as unfair competition.
  • Creates good faith defense for sellers relying upon written certification by suppliers that meat and egg products comply with new confinement standards.
  • Requires State of California to issue implementing regulations.[24]

Fiscal impact
Note: The fiscal impact statement for a California ballot initiative authorized for circulation is prepared by the state's legislative analyst and director of finance.
The fiscal impact statement was as follows:[23]

“ Potential decrease in state and local tax revenues from farm businesses, likely not to exceed the low millions of dollars annually. Potential state costs ranging up to ten million dollars annually to enforce the measure.[24]
Still doesn’t explain why people in a free country continue to ask for the government to tell them how to live or explain the arrogance of some people that use the government to force others to live how they think is best. It’s depressing.

Edit:

There are laws that try to change behavior by imposing taxes, like on cigarettes and soda. This isn’t one of them. As I understand it, the law aims to slightly improve the horrible conditions that exist in factory farming of pigs and poultry. A completely unintentional side effect of the law is that Californians might get marginally healthier. That sounds like a good thing.

There are laws that try to change behavior by imposing taxes, like on cigarettes and soda. This isn’t one of them. As I understand it, the law aims to slightly improve the horrible conditions that exist in factory farming of pigs and poultry. A completely unintentional side effect of the law is that Californians might get marginally healthier. That sounds like a good thing.
And low income families will be spending more money in food. That’s not a good thing. Nothing you have said changes the reality of just how screwed up this type of governing is on society.

Anthropomorphizing animals that are going to be slaughtered for food is nonsense. Hogs and chickens are not aware of human standards and concepts of personal space.

A completely unintentional side effect of the law is that low income families in California will not be able to afford pork and poultry products, thereby robbing children of needed protein and exacerbating hunger issues.

This is rich... there is a national bacon day festival in Los Angeles every year..

Like most of the propositions this will end up in the courts. As I understood the proposition this was only for products produced in CA... doesn't matter I voted again it anyway.

I don’t like factory meat because of the inhumane conditions, so I buy pastured beef and free range organic eggs and I don’t mind paying a lot more money for them because I can afford to. I also think it’s more healthy. Grass fed beef is definitely healthier and eggs vary depending on what the chickens have access to but my understanding is generally chickens that are allowed to peck at bugs and lots of variety have healthier eggs than caged chickens given only feed but the caged chicken eggs are still incredibly nutritious.

But a huge portion of the population lives paycheck to paycheck. Causing great increases in the price of meat and eggs is the worst thing you could do. Animal products are the most nutritionally dense foods, but people don’t eat a fixed volume of food regardless of type. When you eat nutritionally bankrupt food your body makes you crave more and more, attempting to get the micronutrients you need, so you wind up consuming far too many calories. It’s starches and sugars that make people fat, not meat and eggs. Poor people fill up on bread, rice, beans, sodas, chips, pasta. I know because I’ve been there. These are cheap so that’s what they eat, and obesity soars among them. They eat like the government’s infamous food pyramid, probably the number one cause of our epidemic of type 2 diabetes. Not meat.

And low income families will be spending more money in food. That’s not a good thing. Nothing you have said changes the reality of just how screwed up this type of governing is on society.

Not a good thing at all. It will only make obesity among the poor even worse. Humans are omnivores, it’s natural and normal to eat animals along with a variety of plants. I don’t like inhumane animal farming but I dislike even more raising prices of healthy food for low income families and their children. Growing brains need the nutrients in animal products and if it’s a choice between animal welfare and human welfare I side with the humans.

I don’t like factory meat because of the inhumane conditions, so I buy pastured beef and free range organic eggs and I don’t mind paying a lot more money for them because I can afford to. I also think it’s more healthy. Grass fed beef is definitely healthier and eggs vary depending on what the chickens have access to but my understanding is generally chickens that are allowed to peck at bugs and lots of variety have healthier eggs than caged chickens given only feed but the caged chicken eggs are still incredibly nutritious.

But a huge portion of the population lives paycheck to paycheck. Causing great increases in the price of meat and eggs is the worst thing you could do. Animal products are the most nutritionally dense foods, but people don’t eat a fixed volume of food regardless of type. When you eat nutritionally bankrupt food your body makes you crave more and more, attempting to get the micronutrients you need, so you wind up consuming far too many calories. It’s starches and sugars that make people fat, not meat and eggs. Poor people fill up on bread, rice, beans, sodas, chips, pasta. I know because I’ve been there. These are cheap so that’s what they eat, and obesity soars among them. They eat like the government’s infamous food pyramid, probably the number one cause of our epidemic of type 2 diabetes. Not meat.

Not a good thing at all. It will only make obesity among the poor even worse. Humans are omnivores, it’s natural and normal to eat animals along with a variety of plants. I don’t like inhumane animal farming but I dislike even more raising prices of healthy food for low income families and their children. Growing brains need the nutrients in animal products and if it’s a choice between animal welfare and human welfare I side with the humans.
I couldn’t agree more, Rushie, on all parts!

This was NOT inspired by this thread, but since I prepared my increasingly-famous smoked bacon-weave meatloaf today (along with a whole bunch of smoked bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers) I can't resist posting pics.

This is a 2.5 lb meatloaf, smoked for 3.5 hours over hickory and a little apple wood. Fourteen strips of bacon in the weave, with a light dusting of a pork rub. I try not to make a habit of these, but once a year or so, they're mighty tasty.

(Edit: this looks like a heart attack on a plate, but it serves 8, so it works out to 5 ounces precooked weight of beef, and a little less than two slices of bacon per person...essentially a bacon cheeseburger without the cheese or bun, and a tremendous amount of fat cooks out over 3.5 hours--it drips out through the grate. The water pan in the smoker requires some serious cleaning after each use.)

I am so glad I don't live in California.

IMG_9287.jpgIMG_9288.jpg

Last edited:
This was NOT inspired by this thread, but since I prepared my increasingly-famous smoked bacon-weave meatloaf today (along with a whole bunch of smoked bacon-wrapped jalapeño poppers) I can't resist posting pics.

This is a 2.5 lb meatloaf, smoked for 3.5 hours over hickory and a little apple wood. Fourteen strips of bacon in the weave, with a light dusting of a pork rub. I try not to make a habit of these, but once a year or so, they're mighty tasty.

I am so glad I don't live in California.

View attachment 98836View attachment 98837

Oh my! Would you share the recipe? I’d love to make that and the hubby loves to smoke stuff, it could be a joint project.

I'd
Anthropomorphizing animals that are going to be slaughtered for food is nonsense. Hogs and chickens are not aware of human standards and concepts of personal space.
Animals are certainly aware of suffering and pain. Paying a bit more for meat in exchange for improving their standard of living while they live is not unreasonable, especially since meat is an entirely optional part of our diet. And by the way... California is the world's fifth largest economy and doesn't give a s**t what people from flyover country have to say about it's laws. Funny how state's rights works both ways?

I suspect that you feel that the world would be a much, much better place if everyone else was more like you.

I'd

Animals are certainly aware of suffering and pain. Paying a bit more for meat in exchange for improving their standard of living while they live is not unreasonable, especially since meat is an entirely optional part of our diet. And by the way... California is the world's fifth largest economy and doesn't give a s**t what people from flyover country have to say about it's laws. Funny how state's rights works both ways?
More meat for flyover country.:cheers:

Oh my! Would you share the recipe? I’d love to make that and the hubby loves to smoke stuff, it could be a joint project.

Not much to it, really, but it does have a certain 'wow' factor when served. I'd say just start with your favorite meatloaf recipe. The first time I made this, I found one on one of the BBQ sites, and it was fine, but more recently my wife just prepares her family recipe. We use 2.5 lbs of ground beef (though I'm sure the meatloaf mixes would be great as well), 2 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs, maybe a little ketchup, and a pack of McCormick meatloaf seasoning all mixed together then shaped into a square loaf about the width of 5 bacon strips on a side.

There are instructions for making the weave on various websites. I follow this one; it was the first I saw mention use of a rolling pin to finish, and that really does make for a better looking weave. https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/build-bacon-weave/

I think it would be hard to cook directly on a smoker grate. I have a 12 x 12" perforated metal grill plate, that I mostly use to smoke nuts. I put the meatloaf on that, make the bacon weave on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, carefully invert the meatloaf on the grill plate onto the center of the bacon weave (best to get it right first time--it's hard to adjust). Then invert the whole stack once more, removing the cookie tin, and tucking the sides of the bacon wrap around the edges of the meatloaf. For this size meatloaf, a 7 x 7 strip weave is about right--it will cover the sides, no need to have any bacon underneath. And with standard-sliced bacon, one pound will finish the weave with a strip or two left over. I then dust lightly with whatever rub I happen to have handy.

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker, so charcoal for the heat, and today I used a lump of hickory and a lump of apple for the smoke. I kept the meatloaf on for 3.5 hours, smoker temp averaging maybe 250F +/- 10 degrees. I cooked it to an internal temperature of 166F, which seems about right, and I also peek at the bacon occasionally to see when the color is correct.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Not much to it, really, but it does have a certain 'wow' factor when served. I'd say just start with your favorite meatloaf recipe. The first time I made this, I found one on one of the BBQ sites, and it was fine, but more recently my wife just prepares her family recipe. We use 2.5 lbs of ground beef (though I'm sure the meatloaf mixes would be great as well), 2 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs, maybe a little ketchup, and a pack of McCormick meatloaf seasoning all mixed together then shaped into a square loaf about the width of 5 bacon strips on a side.

There are instructions for making the weave on various websites. I follow this one; it was the first I saw mention use of a rolling pin to finish, and that really does make for a better looking weave. https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/build-bacon-weave/

I think it would be hard to cook directly on a smoker grate. I have a 12 x 12" perforated metal grill plate, that I mostly use to smoke nuts. I put the meatloaf on that, make the bacon weave on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, carefully invert the meatloaf on the grill plate onto the center of the bacon weave (best to get it right first time--it's hard to adjust). Then invert the whole stack once more, removing the cookie tin, and tucking the sides of the bacon wrap around the edges of the meatloaf. For this size meatloaf, a 7 x 7 strip weave is about right--it will cover the sides, no need to have any bacon underneath. And with standard-sliced bacon, one pound will finish the weave with a strip or two left over. I then dust lightly with whatever rub I happen to have handy.

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker, so charcoal for the heat, and today I used a lump of hickory and a lump of apple for the smoke. I kept the meatloaf on for 3.5 hours, smoker temp averaging maybe 250F +/- 10 degrees. I cooked it to an internal temperature of 166F, which seems about right, and also peek at the bacon occasionally to see when the color is correct.

Enjoy!

We’ve got the perforated metal grill plate. I usually make my mother in law’s meatloaf recipe involving eggs, milk, breadcrumbs and Jane’s Crazy Mixed Up Salt. Then she has you mix ketchup, brown sugar, ground mustard and nutmeg (I freshly grind the nutmeg) into a glaze you spread on top before baking. I would just leave off the topping and use the bacon instead. Thanks!

Welp, my dinosaur eggs are out:

Cheese stuffed jalapeños wrapped in
Italian sausage (pork) and bacon (delicious, delicious pork). Probably worth the prison time, though.

37FD0CED-2AF3-49C2-9D8A-3B580E83F308.jpeg7640C0DB-2077-4155-A348-D693628A1B31.jpeg

This is rich... there is a national bacon day festival in Los Angeles every year..

Like most of the propositions this will end up in the courts. As I understood the proposition this was only for products produced in CA... doesn't matter I voted again it anyway.

Nope. Applies to all covered products produced and sold in CA. At least I hope so… I’ve got $250,000,000 in construction going on to meet these new laws. BWTHDIK.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/resp...j-t-dean/?trackingId=gIJh51VfRvuNue0cJueT0g==

I've resolved to come up with a good substitute for bacon, so instead I've been having pancetta. but I promise, bacon, I'll be back!

When they see the effect on their waistline and overall health, they might just think their votes were correct.

Ha! That’s misguided health according to some. To each his own, but I’ve added 58 pounds of useful load (I’ve lost 58 lbs) eating a mostly animal based diet, low carbs and more fat this year…. I’m no doctor so I’ll skip the “health” debate except to state my reduced weight and 75% drop in BP meds needed. Again, to each his own.

Flip side of that is that if 40 million people don't get eggs, chickens, pork and bacon they might reconsider their votes. ;)

Wayne

Thank you. Except this whole thing suggests that the voting process is rigged from the get go.

If there were a sequel to the dream speech, it could've gone like this...

"I have a dream, where people around the world can all enjoy a plate of bacon, or a half rack of pork ribs, and not be judged by how the pork was raised, or the religious shaming of their friends, or by people with questionable dietary beliefs. Where people don't seek to control their friends behavior through oppressive laws."

In my youth I had to pick a charity to donate the proceeds of some class action suit that I was a part to, and I picked one that has the sad abused kittens and dogs in it. I didn't know until later that I was unwittingly supporting anti-trapping and possibly anti-hunting legislation, too. The puppy part just draws the money in. It wouldn't surprise me if a similar thing was going on here. People think they are saving kittens by donating to charity X, when in reality they're just supporting a fringe group.

I don't know what the fix is to stupid laws, but we keep inching closer to being like the country where you can only have one of six haircuts. The irony with this particular one is that they're building smaller cages for people while arguing for larger cages for livestock.

Anyway, back to the dream, if there ever is a charity to fly in "inhumanly" grown bacon to give away free in CA, count me in on helping to support it. :)

I'd
And by the way... California is the world's fifth largest economy and doesn't give a s**t what people from flyover country have to say about it's laws.

If California continues to be governed by those who downgrade felonies to misdemeanors to reduce prison population, decree that criminals who engage in property crimes which are under a certain dollar amount are free to do so, attempt to end all cash bail, including cases of repeat offenders, rapists, and murderers, and refuse to apply sentencing enhancements for special circumstances felonies like murdering police officers, the citizens might rebel and engage in recall efforts for the governor and LA County DA.

Oh, wait. That's already happening.

Apparently some citizens in California do give a sh*t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back