the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

I love it when someone who has been on the POA membership roles for a long time and rarely make an appearance. I always wonder what motivated them this time.

Or sometimes it's obvious. Still fun.

upload_2021-7-26_6-17-47.png

I won a lottery! Sort of. Been trying to get X Plane 11 running to help with IFR training since March, but I need a graphics card. I wasn't going to camp out at Microcenter at 5:00 in the morning to save a place in line (yes, they were doing that) in case they get a weekly or bi weekly shipment that day. They switched to a new lottery system. Enter via a CRQ code posted on the door at 9:00 on either Mon, Thur, or Friday, lottery is drawn at 9:45, and depending on your number (if pulled) you get to pick from what ever shipment they get in.

So I was high enough that I was able to get a card that will work but didn't cost $1000. Now to open up the PC tonight and see how badly I can mangle things!

I was given a “modified straight in” clearance the other day. I’ve never heard a controller call and clear me in using that phrase. I should go check the glossary. I was coming in on a 55 degree intercept to the runway (heading 325 for a runway that points 020). I figured tower wanted me to just point at the numbers.

In fact, the last and only other time I have heard that was when Tower sarcastically gave me landing clearance using that as my position, since apparently they didn’t like how I was setting up for base (which is what I was cleared for). “Cirrus on the modified straight in cleared to land”…

Sunday Funday!

6ffce78262e419d8fd8dc5807e2af910.jpg

A CFI told me that a 182 RG can’t land on a grass strip because tires are too small. ??????

While tires are smaller and gear not as robust as a fixed gear 182, it doesn’t ring true.

What say the collective?

A CFI told me that a 182 RG can’t land on a grass strip because tires are too small. ??????

While tires are smaller and gear not as robust as a fixed gear 182, it doesn’t ring true.

What say the collective?
Not all grass strips are the same. Some grass strips are smoother than some asphalt runways.

What say the collective?

Not sure on the 182, but I never had any issues with a 172 RG on grass, but they were pretty nice strips, like Gastons.

Happened too fast for a picture, but yesterday while driving to church I came up on a parked car in the middle of the road. It had the remains of the gas hose trailed out behind it with the nozzle still in the filler hole.

I got out and asked them to pull over to the parking lot. The driver, who had a look of sheer terror on his face, replied that he was afraid to start the engine because of a fire or explosion. I pulled the nozzle out and told him there will be no fire and no explosion. I told him that there was more of a danger of getting hit by another car.

He got out and moved his wife and kids to the hotel parking lot, then he finally, slowly and fearfully cranked up and very slowly moved the car off the street. Mom, dad, looked to be in their late 20s, possibly early 30s with one carry on kid and another barely walking one. I noticed the California license plate. The dad said he stopped as soon as he noticed the gas hose was still attached to the car because he was afraid the car might catch fire and blow up. I told him he put his family in more danger by stopping in the middle of the street because this is the time of day most drunk drivers are on the road, not to mention unloading his family while in the street.

About that time a police car showed up, followed shortly by a fire truck. I walked over and introduced myself to the nice policeman, and then gave him my side of the story, then told him I was late for church and I will be leaving if he does not require my presence any longer. He looked at me in that police way of looking at someone and said ''Ok''.

As I was driving off I was thinking ''darn kids....from California as well'', when it hit me that I should have thrown the gas nozzle and hose in the back of my truck so I could hang it on my wall of stupid stuff I have seen or done.

At least it wasn't an electric vehicle....

What say the collective?

I'm just a little more careful. If it's wet or noted "soft in spring" or I"m heavy or some such I go elsewhere - Once you get stuck you don't want to do it again. :eek:

What say the collective?
It depends if you own it or not:eek:
Definitely worthy of its own thread.

It depends if you own it or not:eek:
Definitely worthy of its own thread.

And if u rent, always better to ask for forgiveness AFTER landing on a grass strip than asking beforehand. Yeah you know who I’m talking about…..

Happened too fast for a picture, but yesterday while driving to church I came up on a parked car in the middle of the road. It had the remains of the gas hose trailed out behind it with the nozzle still in the filler hole.

I got out and asked them to pull over to the parking lot. The driver, who had a look of sheer terror on his face, replied that he was afraid to start the engine because of a fire or explosion. I pulled the nozzle out and told him there will be no fire and no explosion. I told him that there was more of a danger of getting hit by another car.

He got out and moved his wife and kids to the hotel parking lot, then he finally, slowly and fearfully cranked up and very slowly moved the car off the street. Mom, dad, looked to be in their late 20s, possibly early 30s with one carry on kid and another barely walking one. I noticed the California license plate. The dad said he stopped as soon as he noticed the gas hose was still attached to the car because he was afraid the car might catch fire and blow up. I told him he put his family in more danger by stopping in the middle of the street because this is the time of day most drunk drivers are on the road, not to mention unloading his family while in the street.

About that time a police car showed up, followed shortly by a fire truck. I walked over and introduced myself to the nice policeman, and then gave him my side of the story, then told him I was late for church and I will be leaving if he does not require my presence any longer. He looked at me in that police way of looking at someone and said ''Ok''.

As I was driving off I was thinking ''darn kids....from California as well'', when it hit me that I should have thrown the gas nozzle and hose in the back of my truck so I could hang it on my wall of stupid stuff I have seen or done.

Wow! Now I don’t feel so bad for driving off without my gas cap.

Random irritations:

0-320/360/470/whatever. It's O, as in OPPOSED. 0 and O are not the same thing, and if you think they are, I pity the poor sysadmin who has to deal with you constantly locking yourself out of your account.
It's a hangar, not a hanger. Unless, I guess, you're suspending your powered 'chute from the wall by a thin wire contraption. Your airplane is not hangered. Ever. EVER.
The things on your wheels are brakes, not breaks. It's bad enough when I see someone consistently refer to breaks, but using them interchangeably in the same frelling sentence? No. Just, no.

/grammatikmachtfrei

Random irritations:

0-320/360/470/whatever. It's O, as in OPPOSED. 0 and O are not the same thing, and if you think they are, I pity the poor sysadmin who has to deal with you constantly locking yourself out of your account.
It's a hangar, not a hanger. Unless, I guess, you're suspending your powered 'chute from the wall by a thin wire contraption. Your airplane is not hangered. Ever. EVER.
The things on your wheels are brakes, not breaks. It's bad enough when I see someone consistently refer to breaks, but using them interchangeably in the same frelling sentence? No. Just, no.

/grammatikmachtfrei
Chalks.

Random irritations:

/grammatikmachtfrei

Well I’m fixing to read that.

You was driving to Church and that’s the time of day when most drunks are on the road?? What Church and where?

You was driving to Church and that’s the time of day when most drunks are on the road?? What Church and where?

In this area the local drunks are going home at around 9-10am after drinking all night, or all week. Gallup used to be known as Drunk Town, USA. It is not unusual at all to see folks passed out on the side of the road or the sidewalk. In winter passing out and dying from exposure is still a serious problem here. There is a phone number most folks keep in speed dial to report passed out folks. The ''community service'' van will pick them up and take them to the holding cell where the first Americans can sleep it off, get a shower, get their clothes washed, hair cut, any medical treatment that is needed and any legal problems taken care of. All at the courtesy of the American taxpayer.

Life can be interesting living next to the reservation.

Last edited:
It is, yeah. My job is a work-from-anywhere position and it's a lot closer to f̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶i̶l̶d̶c̶a̶r̶e friends and family.
That just might be worthy of its own thread.

if I never ever ever hear the song Bubbly again, I'll live a happy life.

ok, I get it. 96 is 'sunny', 97 is HOT. that's the cutoff, from 96-97 is where sht gets real.

upload_2021-8-27_21-17-58.png

My IR ticket is two months old. This week I got my first reroute and picked up my first clearance in the air.

Hit a new deadlift PR this morning at 460

Which means I can lift more than a fully fueled Mooney :biggrin:

Back