Flights for Bacon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have friends, much less friends in California…but if you have a recommendation of who I might call while I’m eating bacon, let me know. ;)

Requires more space for breeding pigs. They need more privacy?

On top of that, they are limiting how much power your factory built computer can consume, as well as appliances.

Suddenly CA is both Kosher and Halal.

Smuggler Arrested

Van Nuys, CA January 1, 2023
by Metellit Likeitis

A notorious bacon smuggler was arrested at the Van Nuys airport today. Officers from CA dept. of agriculture, the CA highway patrol, local and airport police departments arrested notorious bacon smuggler Pigstaste Good today as he flew 1lb. of bacon into the state from nearby Nevada where bacon is still legal to buy, sell, and consume. Mr. Good was reported to the Agriculture's Pork Patrol unit last new years day by neighbors who swore they could smell him cooking bacon. Sergeant Heavy Handed from the agriculture department stated that by the time they responded to last year's report the evidence had "apparently been consumed." Unable to prove the case without expensive fecal DNA testing law enforcement found their hands tied at that time. He added, "We decided to wait a year and see if Mr. Good would repeat his illegal activities. Mr. Good has been under round the clock surveillance since December 28th this year. "When left Van Nuys without filing a flight plan we knew the game was afoot" said Sergeant Handed.

Because of the extraordinary expense of mobilizing so many law enforcement assets on a holiday, which requires overtime payments at the double time rate, officials have confiscated his aircraft and are initiating forfeiture proceedings against all his assets including his home. When questioned about the harshness of the state's actions the Sergeant responded "If he likes pig meat so much he should move to a different state."

Mr. Good, while contrite, has vowed to fight his case all the way to the U.S. Supreme court, stating "Rudy Gulliani has agreed to represent me pro bono if he can get his law license back."

The Porcine Reporter will keep our readers advised of any developments.

Hmmm
<calculates bacon payload of several different aircraft>
<ponders the west AZ small airport situation>
<imagines 3am, nap of the earth “Bacon Restore” missions, supplying the black market needs of socal>
<humanitarian cause + $$$$$$ = :) >

What that state does, is what the current administration wants for all 50 states.

My business is also being significantly impacted by this ballot initiative and following legislation. Starting 1/1/22 all eggs and egg products sold in California have to be from cage free production. Our industry is relatively ahead of the other commodities in getting ready for this change, and it has been murderously expensive. I’d estimate the cost to California consumers, just for additional egg cost, at +$400mm/yr.

The pork industry has been hoping and praying that some of their lawsuits on interstate commerce would be successful, but so far have not.

Starting 1/1/22 all eggs and egg products sold in California have to be from cage free production.
I’d estimate the cost to California consumers, just for additional egg cost, at +$400mm/yr.
Are cage free products really that much more expensive to produce?

I am a bit surprised they aren’t requiring free range or pasture raised to be the only kind(s) sold.

My business is also being significantly impacted by this ballot initiative and following legislation. Starting 1/1/22 all eggs and egg products sold in California have to be from cage free production. Our industry is relatively ahead of the other commodities in getting ready for this change, and it has been murderously expensive. I’d estimate the cost to California consumers, just for additional egg cost, at +$400mm/yr.

The pork industry has been hoping and praying that some of their lawsuits on interstate commerce would be successful, but so far have not.

Three points;
1. Sorry for what you have to go through on this moronic legislation
2. Fair to assume, similar to CA smog regs for cars, that we'll all be paying more? Meaning it will get cheaper to just do same for all markets.
3. If I was the hog equivalent to AOPA, I'd be tempted to stop trying to fix it with lawsuits and just refuse to sell to CA. I suspect that would be WAY more effective than trying to fix it through the legal system.

Are cage free products really that much more expensive to produce?

I am a bit surprised they aren’t requiring free range or pasture raised to be the only kind(s) sold.

When I started in the business 25 years ago we were building conventional hen spaces for $7.50. We have a few cage free projects going on that are going to end up more than $50/space.

1. Feed - 15% increase or $0.06/dozen
2. Cost to grow the bird to maturity - 25% or $1.00/hen which is $0.03/dozen
3. Facility cost - increase of $30/bird space or $0.13/dozen
4. Labor - far more labor and of a higher caliber is required - $0.05/dozen

There are 10 more items like these that all add to the cost. The farm price in the most efficient systems is roughly a $0.45/dozen cost delta.

Free range means the birds have 2 sq.ft/bird of outdoor access. Pasture has several definitions, but figure 200 sq.ft/bird of outdoor access. Add another $0.80 - $2.00/bird for those systems. If the entire egg industry were to go pasture we’d need a state roughly the size of Connecticut to do it. The other issue is that these systems ALL go substantially backwards in every sustainability metric other than some perceived animal welfare benefits. CO2, cost, worker health and safety, water usage, food safety are all going the wrong way with these changes.

Three points;
1. Sorry for what you have to go through on this moronic legislation
2. Fair to assume, similar to CA smog regs for cars, that we'll all be paying more? Meaning it will get cheaper to just do same for all markets.
3. If I was the hog equivalent to AOPA, I'd be tempted to stop trying to fix it with lawsuits and just refuse to sell to CA. I suspect that would be WAY more effective than trying to fix it through the legal system.

1. Meh. It’s an opportunity.
2. Other states that have passed this legislation - Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, Colorado, Michigan, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, and Nevada. Ohio, Montana, Arizona, and New York are likely targets. All of these states have requirements from 2022 - 2026. The egg industry is currently spending billions to comply, and the markets have been devastated. The old systems aren’t going away as fast as the new ones are being built. It is ruinous. Throw in $7.00 corn this summer and people are hurting.
3. No farmer and commodity group can afford to give up 40,000,000 customers. We’re in an era of “big food” and everything is connected.

1. Meh. It’s an opportunity.
2. Other states that have passed this legislation - Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, Colorado, Michigan, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, and Nevada. Ohio, Montana, Arizona, and New York are likely targets. All of these states have requirements from 2022 - 2026. The egg industry is currently spending billions to comply, and the markets have been devastated. The old systems aren’t going away as fast as the new ones are being built. It is ruinous. Throw in $7.00 corn this summer and people are hurting.
3. No farmer and commodity group can afford to give up 40,000,000 customers. We’re in an era of “big food” and everything is connected.

Flip side of that is that if 40 million people don't get eggs, chickens, pork and bacon they might reconsider their votes. ;)

Wayne

Whenever I hear ''free range'' chickens, I envision monkeys dressed in Gaucho outfits riding dogs and having chicken roundups....

fa8802c8382866fd827ac7813465165a.png

Flip side of that is that if 40 million people don't get eggs, chickens, pork and bacon they might reconsider their votes. ;)

Wayne
I argue that boycotts can go both ways. Companies and industries can refuse to sell to an area.

Wayne

When they see the effect on their waistline and overall health, they might just think their votes were correct.

When they see the effect on their waistline and overall health, they might just think their votes were correct.

Nice. Have you considered the impact on the lowest income families having to pay more for protein? Easy to be high and mighty when you have the resources to burn 100LL. I think consumers should be educated and everyone should have the choice on what they buy.

All California craziness aside, if you're ever in Madisonville, TN (KMNV) you've got to go to Benton Country Hams and buy their bacon. They cure it the old fashioned way with salt and sugar for 28 days then smoke it. Afterward, it doesn't need refrigeration. Your house will have the most wonderful smell for hours after you cook it. It is life changing!

You can also order it at https://bentonscountryhams2.com/
I only did this once since family lives close by. They weren't particularly speedy, but it's worth the wait for sure.

Nice. Have you considered the impact on the lowest income families having to pay more for protein? Easy to be high and mighty when you have the resources to burn 100LL. I think consumers should be educated and everyone should have the choice on what they buy.
Actually a plant-based diet is cheaper than one based on animals, so they would be saving money by avoiding meat and eggs.

Well it’s nice of you all to decide what’s best for others and make them comply. And making pigs and chickens happier in the process. Because that’s more important. IBFL

Last edited:
The only correlation would be not eating as much because they can’t afford food. There is no nutritional difference between eating a free range chicken and a regular chicken.

That’s all just made up BS.

BTW, this law applies to all pork produced and *sold* in the state. You can’t legally bring in non-compliant bacon for resale.
*Plays some Jerry Reed*

*Buys C404, painting plane black with oddly appropriately named "Screaming Chicken" decal*

*Finds runaway bride just prior to takeoff*

*Makes money*

Actually a plant-based diet is cheaper than one based on animals, so they would be saving money by avoiding meat and eggs.

OMG, this sounds like sarcasm.
Unfortunately, I suspect that it is not and that you are serious. :crazy:

*Plays some Jerry Reed*

*Buys C404, painting plane black with oddly appropriately named "Screaming Chicken" decal*

*Finds runaway bride just prior to takeoff*

*Makes money*
Sumpin bout the ‘down’ in Westbound and down is makin me a little nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back