Cessna 150F down in Banning, CA. 2 fatalities

Wow, RIP to Pilot and PAX. Thanks for posting, Stan.

Banning is an airport I've not gone to yet. It's hot there in the summer (It appears it was between 95-100 degrees on Friday) and the winds can be strong. (not saying either is a factor, just typical weather conditions for the area.) Sad to read nonetheless.

I've refueled at BNG many times over the years to avoid the high fuel prices at PSP, and agree the winds can be tricky going through Banning Pass. Very sad indeed. :(

2 die when plane crashes in Banning – Press Enterprise (pe.com)

According to the Press Enterprise article, "The Riverside County Coroner’s Office on Saturday identified the victims as two men in their 20s who lived in Big Bear. Their names and ages were not provided." R.I.P.

From this Flightaware track the C150 was almost certainly N8520G.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N8520G/history/20210730/1545Z/KREI/KBNG

Last edited:
That airplane is registered to a friend of mine. Does anyone know who was flying cause I cant get any details form anyone.

So sad when stuff like this happens. My heart and prayers go out to the families of those lost.

I will only fly the Banning Pass in the morning, and only if the winds are not forecast to be bad. It's brutal in there when it's hot and the wind is blowing!

This was posted in Beechtalk

I am based at Banning and was in my hangar working when this happened. Nobody saw it but the locals said it was a Cessna 172 with instructor and student on board doing T&Gs. They were on downwind about midfield when the crash occurred. From the news video the debris field is very well contained which to me would suggest a stall/spin. Conditions at the time (from the ground) seemed very benign. Clear skies, no T-storms, wind out of the west as usual at about 10-15. I will say this however, the wind shifted to an East wind at about the same intensity or maybe more, about 45 minutes later. Thought about taking the Bonanza up to get a better look afterwards but I've endured more than my share of this kind of crap. Nothing left to learn from watching. RIP.

wow... was planning to fly my 150 same day to Banning. Changed mind after seeing weather; it's crazy winds out there.

Still no names released of those involved
The Riverside County Coroner's Office website lists both victims saying release of the victims' identities is the responsibility of the "investigating agency" which is the Banning Police Department. Here are the two postings on the Coroner's website. I'd think one of the Riverside County newspapers would have carried obituaries, but I haven't found any. Big Bear is in San Bernardino County and no luck checking obits in the San Bernardino County papers either.
WPR21FA298 Coroner Case 2021-08064.jpg WPR21FA298 Coroner Case 2021-08065.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I couldnt find any postings or listings online for deaths in Big Bear. So weird.

I submitted a FOIA request to the Banning Police Department for a copy of its investigation #21-1681.

I submitted a FOIA request to the Banning Police Department for a copy of its investigation #21-1681.
The Banning PD responded:
City of Banning Public Records said:
Record request #21-268 has been closed and published. The closure reason supplied was:
After a thorough review of the City's records, we have determined that we do not possess any records that are responsive to your request. This is not a Banning PD investigation but is under the jurisdiction of the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board). You can request records from the NTSB here: https://foiarequest.ntsb.gov/
Oh, well.

Back