When the aviation gods conspire against you

Jeremy S

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Noghri
Everyone knows it happens when you are training, weather, maintenance, busy instructors, but sometimes you just can't win.

I have a check-ride scheduled on 17 Aug and I've been sitting on 30 hours now for 2.5 weeks despite having scheduled 3-4 flights a week during that time. First it was weather, then the sole Warrior we have, which I've been flying in hit the 100hour mark, except there are two airplanes in the que already in front of it already, there goes another week. Find out 3-4 days ago that the A&P is going to have to drop the fuel tanks, so it's not going to be a quick turn. No big deal, talk with my instructor, we decide it will be easy to move over to the C172. I've flown it a couple times, once on a night cross country, once the last time the warrior was in for a 100hr. We take it up, work on stalls and maneuvers, head over to a nearby airport with a larger runway to do some landings.

The plan is the next flight to do 10 approaches at our home field so that he can endorse me for solo in the C172. We have trees at one end of our runway, so the school requirement is 5 each way to ensure you a good to fly over them safely before you get checked out in an aircraft. Anyway, next flight (this tues) is canceled for weather, and then the instructor goes on leave. So I schedule with another instructor wed. We get up, do a two patterns, then the dark clouds 10 miles away turn into an active thunderstorm, so we put it down. Yesterday, I come in to fly again, same plan, but the student before me put the nose wheel down hard, and it's collapsed. So no flight again.

Its been a rough ride, its a small school with 1 warrior, 1 C172 and a couple 150s. I'm hoping to not have to switch to a 150 to finish up a check-ride, but things are not looking promising. It would also require a change of instructor, because the two of us are both 200lbs and are overweight for one.

Things will work out, they always do, but this has been a couple weeks of the unexpected

Everyone knows it happens when you are training, weather, maintenance, busy instructors, but sometimes you just can't win.

I have a check-ride scheduled on 17 Aug and I've been sitting on 30 hours now for 2.5 weeks despite having scheduled 3-4 flights a week during that time. First it was weather, then the sole Warrior we have, which I've been flying in hit the 100hour mark, except there are two airplanes in the que already in front of it already, there goes another week. Find out 3-4 days ago that the A&P is going to have to drop the fuel tanks, so it's not going to be a quick turn. No big deal, talk with my instructor, we decide it will be easy to move over to the C172. I've flown it a couple times, once on a night cross country, once the last time the warrior was in for a 100hr. We take it up, work on stalls and maneuvers, head over to a nearby airport with a larger runway to do some landings.

The plan is the next flight to do 10 approaches at our home field so that he can endorse me for solo in the C172. We have trees at one end of our runway, so the school requirement is 5 each way to ensure you a good to fly over them safely before you get checked out in an aircraft. Anyway, next flight (this tues) is canceled for weather, and then the instructor goes on leave. So I schedule with another instructor wed. We get up, do a two patterns, then the dark clouds 10 miles away turn into an active thunderstorm, so we put it down. Yesterday, I come in to fly again, same plan, but the student before me put the nose wheel down hard, and it's collapsed. So no flight again.

Its been a rough ride, its a small school with 1 warrior, 1 C172 and a couple 150s. I'm hoping to not have to switch to a 150 to finish up a check-ride, but things are not looking promising. It would also require a change of instructor, because the two of us are both 200lbs and are overweight for one.

Things will work out, they always do, but this has been a couple weeks of the unexpected

My examiner showed up with a belt extender. Doing a W&B was awkward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I’ve had aircraft / scheduling issues during checkride time as well. Had the instrument scheduled in one aircraft (Liberty XL) and the thing broke couple days before the ride. Couldn’t wait for it to get fixed because I was deploying to Afghanistan in a week. Got checked out in a PA28 at the last minute and knocked it out.

Had a sailplane checkride scheduled once and the examiner cancelled at the last minute. Couldn’t get him rescheduled and I had orders to Okinawa. Never did get rating.:(

Just don't stress over it - the checkride is enough stress by itself. It's not at all easy to get everything to line up at the same time for that checkride!

It happens to everyone sooner or later. My school had many planes and instructors but that doesn’t help when the weather sucks.

During my instrument training my instructor quit the flight school along with several others texting me a few hours before we were scheduled to fly.

The chief flight instructor called me to hook me up with a new instructor with less hours than I had. Told him I have to think about it.

I contacted a older retired Comair pilot who was working at my home airport and he took me on to finish me. We clicked together so well that he only flew with me 4 times before he sent me for my check ride. I thought I was months away from the check ride.

Turns out I was, I had to cancel the check ride 3 times because of weather. I had to wait weeks in between appointments. I was ready in September and didn’t get it done until a week before Xmas. The weather only went to VFR 30 minutes before the check ride. We did the ground part in the morning when it was IFR and I thought I was going to have to reschedule the flight but it cleared up just in time.

So much time went by that I had to fly with my new instructor again before my check ride. Quite the challenge to get my instrument rating. I got it in my own plane.
Good luck it will happen!

Last edited:
I feel for you. Took me 5 tries to get the last of my XC time. Two were weather related, one of which was wild fire smoke reducing visibility. Once the plane I was scheduled for went into maintenance. The school helpfully moved me to a different plane at a different time but never bothered to tell me about the time change so I missed that one. Twice the CFI that was supposed to sign me off just didn't show up.

My training has been full of weather, maintenance and other BS delays. I'm beginning to think its just a normal part of aviation.

I feel for you. Took me 5 tries to get the last of my XC time. Two were weather related, one of which was wild fire smoke reducing visibility. Once the plane I was scheduled for went into maintenance. The school helpfully moved me to a different plane at a different time but never bothered to tell me about the time change so I missed that one. Twice the CFI that was supposed to sign me off just didn't show up.

My training has been full of weather, maintenance and other BS delays. I'm beginning to think its just a normal part of aviation.
I would say no, that is not normal aviation.

The weather yes it can always cause delays/cancellations.

As for scheduling, the school I used it was all online for everyone to see the schedule.
The student and CFI's communicate by text so I have never been stood up by a CFI or DPE. I have had a CFI be late but they let me know by text. If I got to the school and my reg instructor was not available I would fly with another CFI. The school always made sure I could fly.

I'd forgot that I made this post. To top off everything else, I finally did get the requirements knocked out, with a day or two to spare, and the DPE canceled the check-ride. He didn't have any other availability until second week of September, by which point, I'll be on an extended trip for work. We called about 6 other DPEs, same story, they're booked. Sitting on 40 hours exactly, and gave up, figuring I'd restart after Christmas.

Yesterday (Tues), Original DPE called and said he had a cancelation for today, and asked if I wanted it. I said yes, did a re-warm up flight with my instructor and went to take the check-ride. It ended up going really well, and got handed my temp cert with 43.6 Hours! on to the next thing! IFR?

Yesterday (Tues), Original DPE called and said he had a cancelation for today, and asked if I wanted it. I said yes, did a re-warm up flight with my instructor and went to take the check-ride. It ended up going really well, and got handed my temp cert with 43.6 Hours! on to the next thing! IFR?

Congrats! Now, go fly! Every other rating is going to require more hours so go enjoy your newfound freedom. Time for some long cross countries with overnights. Time to set up a POA breakfast. Just enjoy it for a bit.

I'd forgot that I made this post. To top off everything else, I finally did get the requirements knocked out, with a day or two to spare, and the DPE canceled the check-ride. He didn't have any other availability until second week of September, by which point, I'll be on an extended trip for work. We called about 6 other DPEs, same story, they're booked. Sitting on 40 hours exactly, and gave up, figuring I'd restart after Christmas.

Good job! Congrats!

Well, hot damn! Glad it worked out!:yes:

Back