Import a project from Canada?

40YearDream

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
40YearDream
I'm looking at an incomplete project plane - located in Canada (just over the border from Detroit). The price seems reasonable, and it's the one I've had my eye on for a while.
However, given the current restrictions, Canada does not currently allow entry for 'optional' reasons - so I can't look at it in person. Assuming I get good answers from the seller to my questions, and sufficient pictures to resolve any concerns, how could I get the project pieces / parts moved to the West side of Michigan?

Buy it, and wait for Covid paranoia to subside? (I should be able to borrow a suitable truck & trailer that could haul it.) [Will ask the seller if he can wait to have the pieces moved.]

Or, is a there some freight service that is currently allowed to cross the border? (hopefully at a reasonable price!)

Also - could I run into any issues r/e amateur started in Canada, then completed in the US? (I will ask for build documentation / records.)

Not sure if this could work - but looking for help on this.

Not much help here, but be sure you get the original bill of sale

All freight is considered essential. You could buy a truckload of twinkies and it’s allowed across the border. Visiting your kids or maybe a dying grandmother on the other hand, that can wait.

With a bill of sale and build documentation, you should have no problem finishing it and getting it inspected / registered. As for the border, it sounds like it may open soon.

A lot of folks have finished RVs that were started in the Phillipines. :D

Nauga,
who's just sayin'

So, looks like the border is planned to open August 9th! Got a trailer & tow vehicle lined up. Now, the import paperwork - ?

I crossed last week and needed to provide a negative Covid test. The test needs to be taken within 72 hours. I got one done for free at Rite Aid through Google Baseline. It took 48 hours for the results giving me a 24 hour window to cross. Some places charge a couple hundred bucks for a test. Make sure it meets the Canadian requirements. Check the CBSA website.
You need to complete the ArriveCAN app before crossing.

Anyone have an import broker they would recommend? I *assume* that assistance with the paperwork is practically a necessity.
(I messaged “ClearitUSA” a couple days ago, but never even got a reply - so they are not a good candidate.)

What part of West MI are you in? What is the plane? wood or metal?

I know some guys who would bring back race bikes in pieces since they never need registration and such....you should be able to do this. Call the US customs at the border crossing you are going to use and ask about bringing in some metal or wood parts. unless it already looks like a plane...:D

Grand Rapids area.
It’s a Thatcher CX-5, metal. The ad is on BS, under projects. The fuselage looks sorta airplane like, and the wings are mostly assembled.
NAFTA may apply to this, as well - maybe.

Grand Rapids area.
It’s a Thatcher CX-5, metal. The ad is on BS, under projects. The fuselage looks sorta airplane like, and the wings are mostly assembled.
NAFTA may apply to this, as well - maybe.
Oh yeah I saw that one. It looks nice. The CX5 is supposed to be very nice.

You used to be able to call the border crossing and ask about stuff like this. Dont call the main customs number try the crossing you wish to use. You may try to see if there is duty due on Al parts, airplane parts, engines, etc etc so you have an idea what they may try to charge for duty/tax/etc.

Again with race bikes and parts it wasnt to difficult. I would think this is similar. Good Luck.

I did see some answers on the homebuilt forum...
Hello everyone, I came upon this old thread and I am hoping someone has some up to date information. I plan on buying a "70% complete project" in Canada and bringing it into the USA. Once the border opens back up. It has no "N" number as it was never complete. I do not plan on completing this project - it just happens to have the parts I need to complete my project. Does anyone have any tips and suggestions on passing through USA customs? Anything I should do in advance of the trip?'

Jun 5, 2021
Crossing the border with parts is just crossing the border with parts. If there’s any paperwork included go through it all before the trip to see if there are any past bills of sale in there for more than you paid or more than you’re telling them you paid. If you want to keep that stuff mail it to yourself. Having a bill of sale for what you’re declaring can be helpful. Don’t lie at the border but don’t overshare either.

Jun 6, 2021
I hauled a Christavia unregistered, unfinished project back from Canada a couple of years ago. No problems at all. No duty to pay or anything.

After thinking things over for the past few weeks, I've decided to not pursue this. I have plenty of other things going on, that I think making time to work on a homebuilt would be difficult, without gross neglect of other duties. Just joined a club, and I plan to focus more on flying, and working on an instrument rating. Too busy = too much stress, for me personally - and stress is a killer. Thanks for the thoughts and replies!

Back