Gaston’s 2021?

JCranford

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JCranford
Anybody up for Gaston’s 2021? Or is Gaston’s over? Seems like the last couple years it’s been replaced by BryVenture or Kentucky Dam.

We are in maybe territory this year. Which didn’t work well for us last year when we finally got to yes. Here’s hoping.

Had the opportunity to stop at the Lake Barclay Resort last weekend about 20-ish miles southeast of Kentucky Dam. Nice resort, good food, and they will pick you up at the state park airport. Definitely on our list for a weekend this fall. Possibility?

Anybody up for Gaston’s 2021? Or is Gaston’s over? Seems like the last couple years it’s been replaced by BryVenture or Kentucky Dam.
Sounds like you just volunteered to make the plan. Id like to go, but in October I'm harvesting, which takes precedence over everything. September is better for me, but I think the idea was to catch the fall colors.

I'd be interested in any of the mentioned locations.

I’m interested as well. Seems like this has traditionally been an October fly-in. I have to be in Annapolis at the end of October.

I really liked Gaston’s, and would love to fly down there again. I just can’t abide their non-cancellation policy, which is why I’ve never been back since the first time. I can’t predict with a high degree of certainty whether the weather will cooperate at some random date a couple of months out.

Last edited:
I really liked Gaston’s, and would love to fly down there again. I just can’t abide their nom-cancellation policy, which is why I’ve never been back since the first time. I can’t predict with a high degree of certainty whether the weather will cooperate at some random date a couple of months out.

Yup, same here. I understand their side. They can't have a bunch of rooms sitting empty because the weather got lame, but it keeps me away also unless I'm heading that direction and they have a room available on two days notice (which, to be fair, they usually do when I've been interested)

Yup, same here. I understand their side. They can't have a bunch of rooms sitting empty because the weather got lame, but it keeps me away also unless I'm heading that direction and they have a room available on two days notice (which, to be fair, they usually do when I've been interested)

Not sure when you last looked, but they did make it better with a much shorter window when there would be a charge. And as a potential bonus, there were reports of no fee, last minute reschedules. That way they still get some money, and you still get a trip on a different weekend. That’s not documented so up to you how much you want to count on it.

Since no one is picking a date, let’s do the second weekend in October 8-10. I am moving to YES, and will work on getting my better half to agree to yet another piloting thang . @JCranford, do you mind inviting @timwinters if he is still up for this stuff? I don’t have his contact info.

I've missed way too much stuff lately. My peeps are going to forget they are my peeps. I'm interested in Gaston's if there is a decent crew planning to show up. I'd hate to let this one die.

Nope, never landed there. Too close. Guitars would be gooood.

You haven't heard me play.

I thought the YES was an identifier and since I know UES is close, and u is next to y on the keyboard....lol

I'd be game!

Or, gamey.

Since no one is picking a date, let’s do the second weekend in October 8-10. I am moving to YES, and will work on getting my better half to agree to yet another piloting thang . @JCranford, do you mind inviting @timwinters if he is still up for this stuff? I don’t have his contact info.

That date works.

I’ll let Tim know. He texted and let me know he was interested

That date works.

I’ll let Tim know. He texted and let me know he was interested
I might be wanting to tag along.

ps. Heard you arriving at DTO yesterday morning with Ruby. I was in N4501E doing laps on 18R with a student.

OK, no October 8-10 for Spike. I have a speaking engagement in Denver. Big Frown.

I’m a maybe until I find a plane to rent. My usual is booked solid.

Chicago Suburbs. I fly mostly out of KDPA.

well the good news is you'll most likely have a tail wind coming to get me. bad news is I'll be passed out cold by the time we get to 3M0.

well the good news is you'll most likely have a tail wind coming to get me. bad news is I'll be passed out cold by the time we get to 3M0.
I’m not entirely sure it’s all that bad news. Just means I need to rent something with a wing locker / child pod.

Not sure when you last looked, but they did make it better with a much shorter window when there would be a charge. And as a potential bonus, there were reports of no fee, last minute reschedules. That way they still get some money, and you still get a trip on a different weekend. That’s not documented so up to you how much you want to count on it.

I’m in

Man I want to go to this. Unfortunately Oct 9-10 is Wings Over Houston. Always a great time for the KEFD based folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in that weekend. Probably just Saturday and Sunday

that's a better weekend for me than the 8th. that's a pretty good hike though.

that's a better weekend for me than the 8th. that's a pretty good hike though.
Just think of the tailwinds on the way home.

Oct 22+ is no go for me and have family in from across the pond for about 6 weeks after. So that’s a thing. Is end of Sept. better for folks vs late October?

And Spike says he’s in if we change the weekend? Cool, we haven’t seen you in….years!

I’m also thinking if we get @Radar Contact and @kaiser and myself all coordinated inbound, that’d be a cool flight of three. I mean, I’ll leave at 7 am going 150 kts, and Radar Contact will leave at 8 AM going 180 kts, and Kaiser will leave at N in a rental Hyundai. Solve for N to all arrive at beer o’clock.

Back