Introducing the new potable 1-axis autopilot system

bavreze

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bavareze
This week we are showing the autoyoke qt the EAA Airventure in Wisconsin. It is a removable and lightweight device that bypasses the requirement for an STC or 337

A video demo can be seen here:

More information at www.autoyoke.com

Thanks + Feedback welcomed!

Attachments

• PXL_20210728_153906498.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20210728_153906498.MP~2.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 26
After the first crash with one of these installed the FAA will be along to prohibit it.

Is there a sleeve version that will work with a stick? Asking for a friend.

iu

Not a terrible idea, really. I'm with @MauleSkinner though -- I don't see how it can be made potable, looks like the metal content is way too high.

I can hear a bureaucracy rat rewriting a reg from here.
Who thinks ferry pilots don't have enough risk in there lives?

Very clever!

A two pound counterweight isn’t going to be able to make a turn in a Mooney without a hundred mile radius. I’d say it’s only capable of holding a course and nothing more.

not to mention the physics of using a counterbalance to make a plane bank becomes more problematic as the bank steepens. To explain with an absurd example, if you’re in a 90 degree bank, a counterweight would do nothing at all at best and invert you at worst. This would only work in shallow banks, and I’d be surprised if it was any use at all in even mild turbulence. Imagine holding a course in turbulence with nothing more than 2 pounds of pressure on the yoke (and no rudder)

Last edited:

I have that one in my patent application but i did not build a prototype yet because i don't have access to a plane with control stick. It even has 2 axis.

Not a terrible idea, really. I'm with @MauleSkinner though -- I don't see how it can be made potable, looks like the metal content is way too high.

It is already portable. So as long as i don't do something to it to become non-portable, it should stay the same. Like 1lb frame, 1.5lb counterweight, 0.5lb for the box. I'm working on making the motor part of the counterweight by making it sit on the slider.

A two pound counterweight isn’t going to be able to make a turn in a Mooney without a hundred mile radius. I’d say it’s only capable of holding a course and nothing more.

not to mention the physics of using a counterbalance to make a plane bank becomes more problematic as the bank steepens. To explain with an absurd example, if you’re in a 90 degree bank, a counterweight would do nothing at all at best and invert you at worst. This would only work in shallow banks, and I’d be surprised if it was any use at all in even mild turbulence. Imagine holding a course in turbulence with nothing more than 2 pounds of pressure on the yoke (and no rudder)

This device is not intended to be used to fly maneuvers nor aerobatics. Solely for cross country, where you routinely bank no more than 3 degrees while tracking your flight plan. Most of the time the waypoints are almost aligned so you usually make 10 degrees or less of turning.

To entertain your discussion, it is a combination of gravity and centrifugal forces that pull the counterweight. Therefore, the system will retain some efficiency even in a 90 degree bank due to the heavy g loads that would amplify the 2lbs weight

I have that one in my patent application but i did not build a prototype yet because i don't have access to a plane with control stick. It even has 2 axis.

It is already portable. So as long as i don't do something to it to become non-portable, it should stay the same. Like 1lb frame, 1.5lb counterweight, 0.5lb for the box. I'm working on making the motor part of the counterweight by making it sit on the slider.

This device is not intended to be used to fly maneuvers nor aerobatics. Solely for cross country, where you routinely bank no more than 3 degrees while tracking your flight plan. Most of the time the waypoints are almost aligned so you usually make 10 degrees or less of turning.

To entertain your discussion, it is a combination of gravity and centrifugal forces that pull the counterweight. Therefore, the system will retain some efficiency even in a 90 degree bank due to the heavy g loads that would amplify the 2lbs weight
Interesting point about the G's, but without rudder inputs, you wouldn't be coordinated, so there's that. In Florida summer thermals it's pretty common to have to correct a 10 degree bank on a regular basis, and this thing would be behind the whole time.

Back