Piper Arrow, apparently "priceless"

I don't know that I love the silver seats but that thing is clean. You can get a lot of plane for 250k though...a lot more than an Arrow

$250k for a '79 arrow with 5000+ hours and a gear up in its past...no wonder they didn't want to say. I'd be embarrassed to say that too.
How much does gear up matter if fixed? 5-10% ? or does it become uninsurable?

I recently saw an ad for a plane with 2 gear up landings and all I could think is that I’d never retract them lol

How much does gear up matter if fixed? 5-10% ? or does it become uninsurable?

I recently saw an ad for a plane with 2 gear up landings and all I could think is that I’d never retract them lol
Gear ups are more often pilot error than mechanical fault. The insurance company won't care so long as it's been properly repaired.

The risk is that corners are cut in hidden areas. Mike busch has a webinar on prebuy inspections where he shows pictures of a beech with hidden damage under the floor from a decades old gear up landing. Pipers don't really have many areas you can't easily get to, though.

Personally a well performed and documented repair wouldn't bother me in the least. These planes are old and for the most part "no damage history" means "no one logged the repair"...

Yeah jeez. I own and fly an Arrow and am a big fan, but wow.... $250k???

I mean... it's an Arrow... a nice Arrow... but... still an Arrow.

An. Arrow.

People have lost their minds.

When you see planes relisted 7 months later for 30% more, much like anything else that can be purchased with a loan, prices have gone crazy. I saw a similar T Arrow in 2019 with G3X for $110k.

Now imagine trying to buy a house...

Now imagine trying to buy a house...

I am.

Finding good housing priced appropriately just isn't happening now.

I was looking at one house over priced at 650K, then the next week the price went to 1.35 mil.

I am.

Finding good housing priced appropriately just isn't happening now.

I was looking at one house over priced at 650K, then the next week the price went to 1.35 mil.
Sounds like there's a bubble forming.

Trouble is, no one knows when it's going to burst.

If you want an old Piper with retracts, trade a plane has at least one Seminole listed for less than 250k. Just saying... I love Arrows, but 250k is nuts.

When was the last airplane bubble? Have prices ever substantially dropped?

As much as I'd like lower prices, I don't want them if that means we have to have an extreme economic collapse! :eek:

If we ever succeed in eliminating economic cycles, I will be surprised.

As much as I'd like lower prices, I don't want them if that means we have to have an extreme economic collapse! :eek:

The hell you say. The Fed is robbing my labor value so a bunch of financed millionaires can have it now only for their willingness to be lifetime debt peons and I'm not. You dang skippy I'm in favor of deflation. Debtors and *savers (*high liquidity players) are indeed not meant to be friends, hell ask my exwife.

To wit, I did get my Arrow in 2013 as a direct result of people who transparently admitted to have lost their "play money", aka their HELOCs, due to the housing asset reset of 2008. Cold day in hell before I apologize for that. They got to play with a toy out of turn, and just like the horsey ride at the grocery story, putting a quarter at a time (as opposed to cash-buying the horsey) only gets you 2 minutes. No crying in baseball.

I'm impressed by how well written, high spirited with and undercurrent tone of woefulness that was. Not sure I agree with it mind you. Although I do agree that we're in somewhat of an inflation, higher debt level mess that is of great concern. I'm just glad I'm one of those "savers" with no debt.

careful what you wish for... one type of elimination could be very very bad.
I think I'm wishing for economic cycles to continue.

Maybe that makes me a bad person.

Sales of new homes might be off not because of the demand dropping but given labor, lumber, and whatnot shortages they just can’t build.

Sales of new homes might be off not because of the demand dropping but given labor, lumber, and whatnot shortages they just can’t build.

I can tell you several builders we’ve spoken to recently are intentionally not writing contracts until existing inventory is completed and ready to sell due to supplier delays and labor costs. At least one isn’t even pricing them until at the finish stage and that builder has a list of nearly 50 interested parties in four homes expected to hit that stage this month.

ANOTHER PRICELESS ARROW, "total value of 228,000"

only 180HP too. Good grief

I rented one of those 180 horse Hershey Bar wing versions for flights to Portland and Phoenix, and it was a real dog. I could never get anything like book airspeed out of it.

I rented one of those 180 horse Hershey Bar wing versions for flights to Portland and Phoenix, and it was a real dog. I could never get anything like book airspeed out of it.
I love the Hershey Bar wing planes, maybe because I learned to fly nosewheel in one, but if you think the cruising speed doesn't match the manual, you'll really not like the short field climb performance compared to book value. :) On the plus side, I'd rather be in one of those than pretty much anything else the same weight in a crosswind landing.

My FG 180 trues out 110 at 2500 leaned for max RPM. *shrug* It'll do.

My FG 180 trues out 110 at 2500 leaned for max RPM. *shrug* It'll do.

What year? I had a 69 Cherokee 180, and would hit 124ktas consistently. Wheel pants, and all the gap, flap, aileron seals installed.

'73 Challenger. Pantsed, no other cleanups. Compressions good but prop is pretty marginal.

'73 Challenger. Pantsed, no other cleanups. Compressions good but prop is pretty marginal.

I did end up having my prop re-pitched for cruise. Don't recall how much of a difference it made, but I do remember there being some.

Unfortunately my partners won't go for that. "Good enough" is their motto and we've already had some spirited discussions about needs vs wants. :rolleyes:

'63 180 with pants and full Horton STOL kit. Prop on good shape, it's a McCauley with the Art Mattson mod. At annual would like to check rigging but usually in the 115 range. Not sure if the STOL cuff limits the cruise at all.

Last edited:
1060 SMOH, mid-70s compressions. Prop is the original 76EM8S5-0-60, about 3600 SNEW.

Last edited:
Back