First OSH oops...

He was definitely skidding using bottom rudder. We were sitting where his nose was pointed at the moment he stalled. Our view of bank angles and the wing drop was much better than the angle the camera had. Anyway, the low (right) wing dropped, he caught it somehow before it completely let go, and had a secondary stall a few seconds later.

I saw all of the stuff he unpacked later (the airplane is near HB HQ) and he might have been fairly heavy, based on the amount of stuff he unpacked from the airplane.

He’s lucky he didn’t end snapping it all the way in from the first stall. That would have been fatal.
Ok. I look at it over and over again and I don't see the right wing, the inside low one, let go. The profile of the plane still looks like he was in a slip throughout the base turn. But videos can be misleading.

Last edited:
b) Nevertheless, in fairness, I doubt OSH is statistically more dangerous than anywhere else people fly. It's just that there are a lot more people flying, and a lot more witnesses for any stupid pilot trick.

I think there is additional danger, in that pilots are being asked to do things they usually aren't proficient at such as maneuvering in tight quarters at low altitude, and with an audience, lots of traffic, and ATC for a distraction. Just listen to the ATC audio and watch ADSBexchange to see how many ways people can mess up the arrival.

And trying to do it while the best pilots on the planet are watching you.

I don’t need to watch it here to know, I see it every Saturday at home…and that is without a crowd or ATC.

We lost a Thorp T-18 in a tight turn to 18 a couple of decades ago during OSH. Stall spin.

Back