Buying NEW 182T

FPK1

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
FPK1
Moving up from 172 rental to new owner of a 182 and preparing to place an order. It comes with just about everything I need so planning only to add Synthetic Vision and air conditioning.

Question is, is there a better after market a/c versus Cessna's $44,500 a/c?

And can Garmin Synthetic Vision be added later?

Thx

The A/C option from Cessna is an STC from Kelly Aerospace installed at the factory post airworthiness. You could call Kelly Aerospace and ask what the aftermarket install would cost. ThermaCool lists aftermarket install costs at a little less than $30k, so you might potentially be able to save a marginal amount of money by going with another vendor. The fit and finish may not be quite as good for an aftermarket unit.

SVT can be added later, but costs about $10k to upgrade.

I purchased a T206 last year and selected SVT, TAS, and XM. If you purchase SVT, TAWS benefits are only incremental. XM feels redundant with ADS-B weather and not worth the cost in my opinion. I did not purchase factory AC because of the cost and useful load hit, but now during the hottest summer on record, I wish I had.

Congrats. What is the wait time? Pictures of your interior and exterior choices?

Just curious - what lead to buying new vs used?

You could buy two used piper arrows for that …….

Hey - if you’ve got the money and want “new” - more power to you!

Stop that. If no one does, how do get it in a few years at a lower price?

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
Yeah, that/\ /\ /\
I plan to buy a 3 or 4 yr old plane in about 4 years. If nobody buys new, where will I find good newish used one?

I decided to buy new because used prices are very high right now. If you buy used at high prices when everything drops you have an old plane with significant loss. If you buy new and everything drops you have a new plane with significant loss. Seems a little bit better...

Almost all of my hours have been in a 172 and it just seems a natural transition to a 182 although I really did enjoy the low wing bubble cockpit of a Diamond DA40 recently. I think since I'm most comfortable in high wing aircraft and the panel of a 172, the 182 will be an easy transition.

I'm in Southern California so I've decided to order it with air conditioning and Synthetic Vision only. The base model 182 already includes the G1000 NXi, WAAS and GFC700 autopilot along with the Flight Stream 510. So base model is pretty good out the gate.

I contemplated adding the SiriusXM for music and weather but music can be had elsewhere and everywhere I've read people have said the weather is not significantly better than ASDB wx.

And I'm also doing this so there will be a newer used airplane in the pipeline for you some day :)

1) Love the 172, love the 182 even more. Can't go wrong
2) If you've got the means to buy and enjoy a new 182, congrats and well done!
3) Appreciate you building the inventory!

I had heard a new Skylane would run closer to $650K. Maybe the OP will share his price before A/C and SVT. Also hard to believe SVT isn't in the base price.

What is weird is that in this market, had the OP just purchased an older 182 it would appreciate and he would make money. The opposite is true for the new model which will depreciate for a while. Perhaps $200K more. Any new plane would be awesome and as others have said, if you can afford it - enjoy!!!

But it does include floor mats!

But it does include floor mats!

200w.gif

Remember when they’d throw in undercoating and Ziebart rust proofing?

I have bought two new Cessnas. And 05 172 and an 07 182T.

If AC is a must have, I'd buy the plane with it installed. After market IS less expensive but who want to send a new plane to the shop?

Synthetic vision can be added in the future. I was 3-4k or so to turn it in when I did it back in 2012 on a G1000.

Moving up from 172 rental to new owner of a 182 and preparing to place an order. It comes with just about everything I need so planning only to add Synthetic Vision and air conditioning.

Question is, is there a better after market a/c versus Cessna's $44,500 a/c?

And can Garmin Synthetic Vision be added later?

Thx

Back