OSH 2021

What was up with the Cessna that was flying southbound and just west of the tower around 5 outer so today? North tower was trying to get ahold of him and it was just crickets. Was weird seeing a solo plane just... doodling along directly over the show grounds.

Also, that near midair between two Cessnas just after the B-25 & friends landed was the closest thing I've ever seen to an abortion accident. I truly thought that two were going to get entirely too intimate 1,000 AGL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent the late afternoon sitting with the crowd by the green dot watching the landings on 9/27. The controllers and 99% of pilots were outstanding. I’ll never get used to seeing 5 airplanes on short final all at once. It was really impressive. I didn’t see the Cessnas almost collide. There was one scary moment I saw with an RV turning downwind to base/final (they want a round approach, not a square base turn) and was told to tighten his approach. He stalled, dropped a wing, and nearly spun in. The crowd gasped but he thankfully made a nice recovery and came back around to land safely. It was the closest I’ve been to seeing a crash happen. Overall though lots of great flying and air traffic control today.

Last edited:
Spent the late afternoon sitting with the crowd by the green dot watching the landings on 9/27. The controllers and 99% of pilots were outstanding. I’ll never get used to seeing 5 airplanes on short final all at once. It was really impressive. I didn’t see the Cessnas almost collide. There was one scary moment I saw with an RV turning downwind to base/final (they want a round approach, not a square base turn) and was told to tighten his approach. He stalled, dropped a wing, and nearly spun in. The crowd gasped but he thankfully made a nice recovery and came back around to land safely. It was the closest I’ve been to seeing a crash happen. Overall though lots of great flying and air traffic control today.
Just reading this makes my stomach turn.

The Cessna in the first post was told by ATC to depart the pattern from 27 and go west of the Tower/Hwy to go to 36. Overload on Warbird arrivals on 27. ATC controller at the time lost situational awareness and had too many things going on at once, which is a rare thing even at OSH.

Flying into Oshkosh is on my extreme bucket list. Seems like it would be thrilling and terrifying at the same time.

I just got access to a plane. Seriously thinking about flying in Friday (unfortunately only for the day) - assuming Wx and parking cooperates.

The Cessna in the first post was told by ATC to depart the pattern from 27 and go west of the Tower/Hwy to go to 36. Overload on Warbird arrivals on 27. ATC controller at the time lost situational awareness and had too many things going on at once, which is a rare thing even at OSH.
It got all balled up and strung out on 27 at one point yesterday, and you suddenly heard a different controller come on and untangle everything. They are all great but some are more greater.

It got all balled up and strung out on 27 at one point yesterday, and you suddenly heard a different controller come on and untangle everything. They are all great but some are more greater.
Everyone needs something to aspire to.

OK After watching the Baron in the Airshow today, I expect our POA twin pilots to provide similar demos at RR next year:D. Especially the engine out maneuvers and landing/taxi.

Shades of Bob Hoover and the Aero Commander. Wonder if the pilot was drinking iced tea like Hoover.

OTOH, the “drunk spectator stealing the Cub” might be more appropriate. Must have had too much hot sauce:confused:. The end of flight “landing” did look like one of my attempts when getting my tail wheel endorsement.

Cheers

I am sitting in the Vintage Flight Line Operations building right now. Yesterday was our busiest single day (airplane arrival count) ever.
North 40 I believe is full. Vintage is mostly full. Homebuilt has lots of space. The new "South 40" GA has spaces.

Any chance you could share the airplane count from yesterday? That’s crazy!

South 40 is where we ended up yesterday evening, about 1000 or so feet from base to RWY 36. Almost full to the fence line today, not quite.

The arrival was a non-event, landed 1 hr before close. Fisk was asking pilots which runway they preferred.

Watching the forecast closely; I'm probably going to wait until Thursday at this point. Any discussion up there about this?
Screenshot_20210727-051146_Chrome.jpg

European model via windy shows it staying a bit farther west.

Shades of Bob Hoover and the Aero Commander. Wonder if the pilot was drinking iced tea like Hoover.

Took these in '91 back when airshows were airshows. :)
ef6Ue88.jpeg

Qty4rdF.jpeg

QBReTCD.jpeg

Skip to minute 27 not an RV but...

Watching the forecast closely; I'm probably going to wait until Thursday at this point. Any discussion up there about this?
View attachment 98632

European model via windy shows it staying a bit farther west.
As a competitive sailor on Lake Michigan, I’ve never found the European model to be very accurate near the Great Lakes.

In the movie “The Martian”, when Mark Watney was in the HAB after the airlock blew off and he ‘sealed’ it with tape and canvas and there was a big storm?

Kinda felt like that. (admittedly less deadly)

In the movie “The Martian”, when Mark Watney was in the HAB after the airlock blew off and he ‘sealed’ it with tape and canvas and there was a big storm?

Kinda felt like that. (admittedly less deadly)

Are you also growing potatoes in your own poop? :D

I heard attendance was twice what it was in 2019.

It sounded like they warned about 50 mph winds at 2 am. But maybe it was 15.

Mike Patey flew in with Scrappy today. Did any of you see it? Any video? We missed it!

Did storms pass through last night?

yes, a couple, one at 1:30a another around 4:30, then rain until about 9a. not bad at all.

Ran into @SixPapaCharlie on the grounds, never met before, but knew the face from YT (dude I thought you were taller...and I’m sure you thought I was better looking from my online persona).

Maybe a forehead sticker that says POA MEMBER...or a pin...to tell the anointed pilots from the unwashed masses.

yes, a couple, one at 1:30a another around 4:30, then rain until about 9a. not bad at all.

Ran into @SixPapaCharlie on the grounds, never met before, but knew the face from YT (dude I thought you were taller...and I’m sure you thought I was better looking from my online persona).

Maybe a forehead sticker that says POA MEMBER...or a pin...to tell the anointed pilots from the unwashed masses.
Forehead pins sound like a good idea.

Back